knezz

PC Based or DVR unit. I have the cameras already. Pls assist

I’m in search of either a PC based security software and video card for 4 cameras or a DVR unit. I’m not partial to either. I have a very good PC that could be solely for the CCTV system with substantial hard drive and process power. However, I will forgo the PC for a DVR unit it that fits my needs best. I currently have 4 Panasonic WV-CW474S …dome cameras. They are 480 lines color and 520 b&W. They also have built in motion detector and electronic zoom features. I would like the system to take full advantage of my cameras. The unit will be for home use. I would like to connect to my network to view from my iPhone. I would like to be able to view cameras in split screen. I’ve read that the unit should be H.264AVC compression?

I would like the system to be user friendly and feature full. Of course, I would like the unit and/or software to be inexpensive (tight budget). Since I have the cameras I’m thinking $600.00?

PC package or DVR unit? Which exact model would you suggest? Why that model? What are the features that would be useful for residential use? I might,, again might (but not a show stopper) connect an IP camera or two in the distant future.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hello,

If you are going for a PC based unit, there are several DVR cards that are floating around out there, I forget the brands except for one I saw recently by EZWatch Pro. I'm not entirely sure if it's iphone mobile viewing compatible though as their software uses activeX controls (that aren't supported outside internet explorer).

There are some cheaper armor pro dvrs that can handle 4 cameras pretty easily.

The capture cards will cost around $300, and the 4 channel armor pro will cost $550

I believe GeoVision will do everything you need (except maybe user-friendly; I find the interface confused and clunky, but I've been spoiled by Vigil), and you should be able to get an 8-channel version for within your budget. Just make sure you get it from a legitimate source; you'll find lots of CHEAP listings for GV on fleaBay, but those are almost universally illegal clones.

I’m in search of either a PC based security software and video card for 4 cameras or a DVR unit. I’m not partial to either. I have a very good PC that could be solely for the CCTV system with substantial hard drive and process power. However, I will forgo the PC for a DVR unit it that fits my needs best. I currently have 4 Panasonic WV-CW474S …dome cameras. They are 480 lines color and 520 b&W. They also have built in motion detector and electronic zoom features. I would like the system to take full advantage of my cameras. The unit will be for home use. I would like to connect to my network to view from my iPhone. I would like to be able to view cameras in split screen. I’ve read that the unit should be H.264AVC compression?

I would like the system to be user friendly and feature full. Of course, I would like the unit and/or software to be inexpensive (tight budget). Since I have the cameras I’m thinking $600.00?

PC package or DVR unit? Which exact model would you suggest? Why that model? What are the features that would be useful for residential use? I might,, again might (but not a show stopper) connect an IP camera or two in the distant future.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

this is a good little card. will do everything you need with your cameras even your zoom controls. and you have the option to use ip cameras. http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=130

I’ve read that the unit should be H.264AVC compression?

Not really, in most cases that just means worst quality recordings, although longer recordings.

I’ve read that the unit should be H.264AVC compression?

Not really, in most cases that just means worst quality recordings, although longer recordings.

To qualify this:

MPEG-4 is a compression design to reduce the file size of video. You do lose some quality with this.

H.264 is an improved version of MPEG-4 and should give you better video quality at the same bitrate compared to MPEG-4.

MJPEG is a much larger file size however is superior in quality.

To qualify this:

MPEG-4 is a compression design to reduce the file size of video. You do lose some quality with this.

H.264 is an improved version of MPEG-4 and should give you better video quality at the same bitrate compared to MPEG-4.

Should, but does not with most DVRs I have seen. For example with a DVR such as GeoVision which has both options, the Mpeg4 compression is better quality than the H.264.

To qualify this:

Should, but does not with most DVRs I have seen. For example with a DVR such as GeoVision which has both options, the Mpeg4 compression is better quality than the H.264.

seen that myself rory. the problem is the type of h264... h264 AVC has been around for years and still used by many dvr companys to which MPEG-4 is miles better.

if you want true h264 (MPEG-4 part 10) H.264SVC (Scalable Video Coding) standard in November 2007, which provides some unique efficiency for CCTV applications

True enough... it depends on which "flavor" of H.264 it is and how you implement it.

H.264 Main profile and High Profile should give you better video quality than MPEG-4 at similar bitrates.

Most reputable manufacturers are using Main Profile it seems these days. Not sure what Geovision is using as they just call it "GEO H.264"(and was in no way am I saying they are not a reputable manufacturer.)

Catch with H.264 is that it was originally intended for encoding full-framerate videos, like movies and such. The compression starts to lose efficiency at lower framerates, as are common in CCTV, unless you do a bunch of tweaking to the codec (which isn't possible in most DVRs).

All the H.264 DVRs Ive seen so far have alot of artifacts in the recorded video. Really disappointed with it so far, even at very high bitrates.

PC-Based I would recommend either of these two cards...

[edit by mod-store links removed]

Standalone DVR I would recommend this...

[edit by mod-store link removed]

To accomplish everything you want to accomplish my personal recommendation would be the FD series standalone DVR. You don't use up an expensive PC just for surveillance, it allows you to record at D1 for all 4 channels, has great CMS/iPhone/Android/BlackBerry/OS X applications, and is pretty easy to use. If it is too expensive my next recommendation would be the GV-800 4 channel. Let me know if you have further questions.

H.264, MPEG4, MJPEG

Just like TV lines, this is another thing I ignore, because it really varies from DVR to DVR from what I have seen. Unfortunately, this is another spec that is not reliable,(or undependable). The worst DVR I have ever seen was an Avtech which used MJPEG Compression, but I just got one of those little 2 channel mini DVR's in the other day that uses MJPEG and it has pretty decent quality, it was alot better than the Avtech anyways. I've tested a couple of MPEG4 DVR;s which were decent, but the best recording quality I have seen comes out of H.264 DVR's. And of course on the other hand, I have seen H.264 that look like junk too, some have more artifacts than Egypt. And I always set to the max bit rate when I test.

I almost always find that MJPEG is better than any of the others... and contrary to the old days when hard drive space was at a premium, storage these days is incredibly cheap.

Given the choice, always go for quality... that's why you bought the system, remember?

If you get months and months worth of recording time, but you can't ID anything in those tiny little CIF H.264 videos, you've wasted your money.

H.264, MPEG4, MJPEG

Just like TV lines, this is another thing I ignore, because it really varies from DVR to DVR from what I have seen. Unfortunately, this is another spec that is not reliable,(or undependable). The worst DVR I have ever seen was an Avtech which used MJPEG Compression, but I just got one of those little 2 channel mini DVR's in the other day that uses MJPEG and it has pretty decent quality, it was alot better than the Avtech anyways. I've tested a couple of MPEG4 DVR;s which were decent, but the best recording quality I have seen comes out of H.264 DVR's. And of course on the other hand, I have seen H.264 that look like junk too, some have more artifacts than Egypt. And I always set to the max bit rate when I test.

the avtech's didnt get any better with the mpeg4 either .. mine looked like rubbish.

wow, seems like this thread went from what dvr or pc based card to what compression method is better. I would like to also know what cards you guys prefer and is being used. I bought a 32 (2x16 channel) geovision unit not to long ago and it is a good unit. Just wondering now if maybe we should have built it ourselves.