rory

How to Tweak your PSS software

How to Tweak your PSS software

by Rory Knowles, Dec 22, 2010

1. Introduction

This applies to DVRs that use the Dahua PSS Remote Client Software.

DVR Brands using PSS include but are not limited to: Intellicam, XTSVideo, Mace, Q-See, and others.

Note that none of Dahua's code is decompiled or comprimised in anyway while performing these basic changes.

PSS has some hidden settings which are simply located in a couple INI files in the program's path. These settings allow things such as auto login, exit without password, and in 4.03 + versions it even allows you to turn on a check box to add all cameras in multi camera playback - BTW 4.04 has a timeline on the multi camera playback now. I wont be touching on all the settings in the INI files as to be honest I dont have the time and I am only discussing settings that are quick and useful to the general population.

Additionally I will show you how to edit the skin files to make a lighter version, especially useful on netbooks and other slow computers. Also will include changes that will limit the program's features, such as a skin specifically for a basic user, minus playback, config, and other advanced options.

Example:

pss4.04lite.png

Although your DVR comes supplied with a version of PSS it may not be the latest one.

Get the latest version from my Dahua Downloads page.

At the time of this article it is at version 4.04 for Windows.

File name will vary depending on the version.

In this article I will be dealing primarily with versions 4.03 and 4.04. Although the settings in the INI files are pretty much the same from earlier versions, the skin folder has changed slightly so for example a skin folder from 4.01 could cause 4.04 to crash.

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

2. General Settings

2.1 Auto Login

Ok so lets get rid of that pesky login.

Login information is located in PSS_Config.ini

Its pretty straight forward, there will be an encoded password string.

From the beginning of the file scroll down until you find the SUser_ID and SUser_PSW fields.

If you want to not have to use a password just delete the encoded string so it looks like follows.

SUser_ID=admin
SUser_PSW=

Now scroll down until you see the login section which will begin with this:

[Login_Info]

Edit the following fields to this:

Check=1
UserName=admin
Password=
PSSAutoLogin=1

Basically the password field has to be the same as in our SUser_PSW field, in this case we blanked it out. The rest of this is telling the program to save the password and auto login.

Save the file and exit.

So now you will be able to just open the program and not be required to login.

Also in this case there is no password so you just click OK to exit when it prompts you.

NOTE: There is another field in the UserLogin.in file which must be enabled (default) for this to work:

AutoReLogin=1

2.2 Change The PSS Title

You cant get rid of the title PSS in the top left using the config files, but you can remove or edit the text after it which is the version number (you can remove the entire title or edit the text using the skins as will show you later).

Open up PSS_Config.ini again.

At the very top edit the Version field like so (or remove the part after = to make it blank):

[Version_Info]
Version=v4.04 LITE SKIN

Example:

pss_settingsa.png

There is another field in PSS_Config.ini which changes the Taskbar title for PSS.

PSS_ShortName = PSS

2.3 Save Last Screen Monitor

Okay this can be done in the config section of PSS but I thought I would show you this anyway. What it does for those that dont know is during exit of the program PSS will save the layout and connection information so when you open it next time it will auto login to any devices previously connected and start streaming the live video just as when you exited and in the same multiview.

In UserLogin.ini find the following field and enable it like so:

(or disable it for trouble shooting failed startups)

SaveLastMonitorState=1

Also you could delete/edit/rename the LastMonitor.xml file if you are having problems with the program opening and if it is related to the last monitor connection that may fix the problem.

2.4 Multi Channel Playback

This is available from versions 4.03 and 4.04.

By enabling this setting a check box will appear in the Multi channel playback area of PSS, which allows one click to add all the DVR cameras instead of individually adding them.

Open up PSS_Config.ini and look for the following and edit it as shown:

PSS_PlayBackAllChannel =1

When you playback you should now see something like this:

pss_settingsb.png

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

3. Skin Files

3.1 Introduction to Skins

The PSS skin files are all located in the subfolder skin/default/

PLEASE BACK UP THIS FOLDER BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

For the most part the skin files are pretty self explanatory.

The word "Button" used in this article pertain to the buttons such as Minimize, Close, Multiviews, Playback, etc. The word "Window" is the main section for each skin which contains all the "Buttons".

As an example, the Title Bar Window, thats the area at the very top which shows the PSS name and version on the left and the minimize and close buttons on the right. In that case the skin settings are in a file called TitleBar_config.ini, while the related images are in the format of Title_###.bmp

Most of the .ini files are laid out as such:

This contains the settings for the skin's main Window, such as the image file name, size and position.

[MainSettings]

This section contains the layout and styles of the Buttons associated with this Window

[MainButtons]

This section contains any general text associated with the skin

[StaticText]

There are other sections as well and they vary but the sections will always be in the format of [sECTION]

3.2 Hiding Buttons

To get started, to simply remove a Button the easiest way is to edit the part where it ends in _Isvisible = 1. Changing the value to 0 will hide that button. For example in the TitleBar_config.ini file we would hide the drop down menu in the title bar by using: Menu_IsVisible =0

3.3 Hiding Windows

To hide the entire section is a little different. Typically if you just delete one or all of the Window's main images the PSS program will show an error message when it starts, as the .ini file is still telling it to use those images. Same happens if you just leave the image file names empty or even delete the skin's .ini file. You could just change the Main Window size to 0,0 but then it normally will show up a blank grey area instead. The easiest way (and safest) I have found is to just create a 1x1 Black BMP file, call it blank.bmp, then change all 4 file names in the [Main Section] to that.

Example:

[MainSettings]
MainWindow_Size = 165,135
MinWindow_Size = 165,25
IsUseMask = 1
MaskColor = 255,0,255
BackImage_Up = blank.bmp

I also chose this method as now I can delete those large BMP files which I dont use and cut down on the overall size of the program folder as well as loading time and GUI speed - each image is loaded into memory when the program starts up.

3.4 Shrink Images

I change all the images that are not "on mouse over" to Greyscale. This not only reduces the overall size of the skin folder but also makes the GUI appear a little faster - every bit counts in the long run.

On some images it can only be a difference of 30kb but on larger images such as the PTZ it can be much more especially over 3 files (normal, down, and disabled). Note these files must remain as Bitmap (BMP) files. As mentioned I do not typically alter the "on mouse over" images.

PTZ Original Image: 146kb, PTZ Greyscaled Image: 50.2kb (PTZ8_normal_en.bmp)

pss_eg5a.pngpss_eg5b.png

Note:

If you are removing images as in this article and you installed the PSS software on your computer (not just copied to a temp folder to work on), do not run the PSS program from the regular shortcut which was provided by the installation. I suggest you right click on PSSProject.exe send to desktop as shortcut and remove the Installed shortcut from the desktop and start menu, or copy the entire PSS folder to a temp location such as the root path, desktop, or documents folder, and create a shortcut to that PSSProject.exe on your desktop. If you DO run it from the installed shortcuts, msiexec will kick in and reinstall the missing image files.

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

4. Exit Window

Important: Stop reading now if you still use a password to log into the PSS program (default), otherwise you wont be able to exit PSS after this skin change. Read the General Settings section of this article on how to remove the password if you have not yet done so and still want to continue with this.

4.1 Overview

Previously I explained how to set PSS so that it auto logs in, so lets get rid of that rather large annoying exit window with the user name and password - this is only useful if you DON'T have additional users and don't use a password. There will still be a popup asking you if you want to exit or cancel, but this will make it smaller and no user or password box is visible. Hey, smaller image, less memory.

Note: In older versions there was no skinned exit window, just a popup.

This article is geared towards versions 4.03 and 4.04.

This is what the original Exit Window looks like

pss_exita.png

And this is what our new Exit Window will look like. (yes a rip off from 4.01's popup)

pss_exitb.png

The original images for this skin are:

ExitSoft_normal.bmp, ExitSoft_over.bmp, ExitSoft_down.bmp, ExitSoft_disable.bmp. We will be deleting 2 of these files after we edit the skin below, ExitSoft_down.bmp and ExitSoft_disable.bmp, and overwriting the other 2.

Skin File = ExitSoft_config.ini

Here is the original file first:

View as text file

4.2 Buttons

Lets look at a sample Button field:

Cancel_Isvisible = 1
Cancel_Position = 202,200,264,222
Cancel_TipText = Cancel
Cancel_Text = Cancel

If we set _IsVisible = 0 then the other fields for that Button are not required. You can leave it incase you want to put it back sometime later, but in my case I want to strip it right down so I am trimming out everything I dont need. Note - make a back of your skin folder first.

Also I dont need the text on the OK and Cancel area because I am going to use a custom image that has the buttons and their text already - you could leave the Tip Text if you want but I removed it. I am using just 2 images instead of 4, and they are both 91.5KB as opposed to the original files of 244KB.

4.3 Layout

First we need to set the main window size to the same size of our new image:

MainWindow_Size = 248,126

Here is the modified Cancel Button that I want to show, but I have changed the position of the field as my image is a different size from the original:

Cancel_Isvisible = 1
Cancel_Position = 128,89,202,111
Cancel_TipText = 
Cancel_Text =

If you are changing the image, then you need to know how to change the layout of the Button field:

Position = x1,y1,x2,y2

Here are some Button fields I don't want to show:

TiltleInfo_Isvisible=0
UserName_Isvisible = 0
Password_Isvisible = 0

4.4 Masking

PSS will mask out (not show) areas of a certain specified color. So in my example I make the outer part of the top rounded corners Bright Pink, and then set the mask color to 255,0,255 which is the RGB value for Bright Pink - check your favorite paint program to get these values if you are unsure. Eg. Red = 255,0,0. So here is my edited Mask area:

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,255
IsUseMask = 1

Ofcourse for better performance I would just simply disable masking, as it would be yet another graphics process PSS has to deal with, however I found that the field IsUseMask is not even used as setting it to 0, -1, or even removing it made no difference. Even removing the mask color value just defaults the mask color as Black (0,0,0), which can then mask out other areas of the image.

But if you set the mask color to a color not used in your image then it appears to be disabled, though I don't know if PSS still processes it or not. Note that anywhere else that color is in the image those areas will be masked out. So basically if you want to dsable it, a better idea would be to make the outer top corners a small variation of black such as 1,0,0, then set the mask to bright pink, as its unlikely you will have that color anywhere else in your image - bright pink would look bad if not masked out. Otherwise just dont use images with rounded corners.

4.5 Images

New Images: (same names but new files)

Right click to download ... then copy these to your skin folder

ExitSoft_normal.bmp

ExitSoft_over.bmp

4.6 Skin File

Here is the new skin file for the Exit Window: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,255
IsUseMask = 1
BackImage_Up = ExitSoft_normal.bmp
BackImage_Over = ExitSoft_over.bmp
BackImage_Down = ExitSoft_normal.bmp
BackImage_Disable = ExitSoft_normal.bmp
Ctl_BackColor =  0,0,0
Ctl_TextColor = 0,0,0

[MainButtons]
Ok_IsVisible =1
Ok_Position = 47,89,122,112
Ok_TipText = 
Ok_Text = 

Cancel_Isvisible = 1
Cancel_Position = 128,89,202,111
Cancel_TipText = 
Cancel_Text = 

[StaticText]
TiltleInfo_Isvisible=0
UserName_Isvisible = 0
Password_Isvisible = 0
UnlockErr_IsVisible=0
TxtUserName_Position = 0,0,0,0
TxtPsw_Position = 0,0,0,0

It is now safe to delete the image files for this skin: ExitSoft_down.bmp and ExitSoft_disable.bmp.

So your PSS should look like this when exiting:

pss_exitc.png

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

5. Device Info

5.1 Overview

This is at the bottom of the program and shows the Device name, IP, and a bunch of status LEDs. I am going to get rid of this Window all together.

This is what it looks like by default:

pss_deviceinfoa.png

The 4 original images are:

devinfo_normal_en.bmp, devinfo_over_en.bmp, devinfo_down_en.bmp, devinfo_disable_en.bmp. We will be deleting these files after we edit the skin below.

Skin File = DevInfo_config.ini

View as text file

5.2 Images

In this case, it is inside another window which is set in the skin file called bottom_config.ini, so I can just change the images to a 1x1pixel blank image and resize it to 0 width and 0 height. In fact you could leave everything else the same and just change the Window size to 0, MainWindow_Size = 0,0, but I want to also get rid of the extra processing and the 4 large images.

BackImage_Up = blank.bmp
BackImage_Over = blank.bmp
BackImage_Down = blank.bmp
BackImage_Disable = blank.bmp

New Image:

Right click to download ... then copy this to your skin folder

blank.bmp

5.3 Skin File

If we are going to set _IsVisible = 0 then the other Button fields are not required. The color fields have to stay so I just set them all to 0.

Here is the new skin file that gets rid of the Device Info Window: (download)

[MainSettings]
Window_Rect=0,0,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 0,0
IsUseMask = 0
MaskColor = 0,0,0
BackImage_Up = blank.bmp
Ctl_BackColor =  0,0,0
Ctl_TextColor = 0,0,0

[StaticText]
DevTag_Isvisible = 0
DevIP_Isvisible = 0

[MainButtons]
State_1_Count = 0
State_2_Count = 0
State_3_Count = 0
IdePoor_IsVisible= 0
IdeErr_IsVisible= 0
EncodeErr_IsVisible= 0

[Sliders]
Brightness_Isvisible=0
Contrast_Isvisible=0
Saturation_Isvisible=0
Hue_Isvisible=0
BackImage_Normal=blank.bmp
BackImage_Over=blank.bmp
BackImage_Down=blank.bmp
BackImage_Disable=blank.bmp

It is now safe to delete the original image files for this skin:

devinfo_normal_en.bmp, devinfo_over_en.bmp, devinfo_down_en.bmp, devinfo_disable_en.bmp

So the bottom section of your PSS should look something like this:

pss_deviceinfob.png

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

6. Title Bar

6.1 Overview

This is the section at the very top of the program which shows PSS and the version, and has the lock, menu, minimize, switch, and close buttons.

This is what the original title bar looks like:

pss_titlea.png

This is what we are going to change it to:

pss_titleb.png

Skin file = TitleBar_config.ini

View as text file

6.2 Title Text (top left)

This is actually dealt with in 2 files, this TitleBar_config.ini skin file, and also in the main PSS_Config.ini file. In PSS_Config.ini there is a setting for the version number text. To change or remove that the field to edit is:

Version=V4.04

So if for example I want the text "PSS" to remain but the version gone, I just clear that value so it would look like this:

Version=

Now if you want to change the text in that section, go back to the TitleBar_config.ini skin file and edit the value in the TitleInfo_Text field as follows. In this example I also changed the Text Color to Yellow (255,255,0):

[StaticText]
TiltleInfo_Isvisible = 1
TiltleInfo_Position = 30,2,267,18
TiltleInfo_BackColor = 
TiltleInfo_TextColor = 255,255,0
TiltleInfo_Text = My DVR

And to further illustrate this change, I also edited the version field in the PSS_Config.ini file:

[Version_Info]
Version=v9.000000002

These 2 changes would make the top of my program look like this:

pss_titlec.png

Additionally, if you want to get rid of that section all together, in our skin file we would set _IsVisible=0 as shown below: Remember we dont need the other fields if we are hiding the button

[StaticText]
TiltleInfo_Isvisible = 0

6.3 Buttons (top right)

There is one important field that needs to stay enabled for the top right buttons to work:

HaveSystemButton = 1

By the way the field HaveSwitchWindowButton does not seem to do anything so ignore that field.

There are only 5 buttons that are actually used: Software Locking, Full Menu, Minimize, SizeSwitch, and Exit. The remaining buttons can be safely removed as in this case PSS does not even look for them.

Software Locking:

As we are not using a password I am taking this out:

Lock_IsVisible =0

Full Menu:

I am removing features from PSS so I need to also remove this menu:

Menu_IsVisible =0

Minimize, SizeSwitch, and Exit are left visible as we need those, but I do remove the Tooltip text.

6.4 Images

Now that we have removed those 2 buttons, we need to edit the images, in fact I am going to greyscale the _normal image and just use that for _down and _disabled also. So just 2 images will remain in the skin folder for this skin, saving space and reducing overall size.

BackImage_Up = Title_nomal_en.bmp
BackImage_Over = Title_over_en.bmp
BackImage_Down = Title_nomal_en.bmp
BackImage_Disable = Title_nomal_en.bmp

Title_nomal_en.bmp

Title_over_en.bmp

6.5 Skin File

Here is the new skin file for the Title Bar: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 1024,30
IsUseMask = 1
BackImage_Up = Title_nomal_en.bmp
BackImage_Over = Title_over_en.bmp
BackImage_Down = Title_nomal_en.bmp
BackImage_Disable = Title_nomal_en.bmp
Ctl_BackColor =  27,27,27
Ctl_TextColor = 0,0,0
HaveSwitchWindowButton = 0
HaveSystemButton = 1
Btn_TextColor = 255,255,255

[MainButtons]
Lock_IsVisible =0
Menu_IsVisible =0

Minimize_IsVisible =1
Minimize_Position = 953,4,972,24
Minimize_TipText =

SizeSwitch_IsVisible =1
SizeSwitch_Position = 973,4,991,24
SizeSwitch_TipText =

Close_IsVisible =1
Close_Position = 992,4,1017,30
Close_TipText =

[StaticText]
TiltleInfo_Isvisible = 0

It is now safe to delete the additional 2 unused image files for this skin:

Title_disable_en.bmp and Title_down_en.bmp

6.6 Optional

Since we removed the Lock button on the Title Bar, we can now remove the associated skin files and images if we like.

Unlock Skin Files:

Unlock_config.ini, UnlockChild_config.ini

Unlock Image Files:

Unlock_normal.bmp, Unlock_over.bmp, Unlock_down.bmp, Unlock_disable.bmp, UnlockChild_normal.bmp, UnlockChild_over.bmp, UnlockChild_down.bmp, UnlockChild_disable.bmp

IMPORTANT:

If you removed the above Unlock skins then you now need to remove the Software Lock shortcut key. Open up UserLogin.ini and find the field called ShortKey_KeyModifiers13. Change it to the following (disabled):

ShortKey_KeyModifiers13=0

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

7. Login Window

Important: Stop reading now if you still use a password to login to the PSS program (default), otherwise you wont be able to use PSS after this skin change. Read the General Settings section of this article on how to remove the password if you have not yet done so and still want to continue with this.

7.1 Overview

This is what normally pops up for you to enter your username and password, but since we took that option out already, I am going to get rid of this Window all together.

This is what the Login Window normally looks like:

pss_logina.png

Login_normal_en.bmp, Login_over_en.bmp, Login_down_en.bmp, Login_disable_en.bmp. We will be deleting these files after we edit the skin below.

Skin File = Login_config.ini

View as text file

7.2 Images

I change the images to a 1x1pixel blank image and resize it to 0 width and 0 height.

BackImage_Up = blank.bmp

New Image:

Right click to download ... then copy this to your skin folder (overwrite if it already exists)

blank.bmp

7.3 Skin File

Here is the new skin file that gets rid of the Login Window: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 0,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 0,0
IsUseMask = 0
BackImage_Up = blank.bmp
Ctl_BackColor = 0,0,0
Ctl_TextColor = 0,0,0

[MainButtons]
Ok_IsVisible =0
Cancel_Isvisible = 0
SavePassword_IsVisible =0

[IPCombo]
ServerIp_Isvisible = 0

[StaticText]
StaticIp_Isvisible = 0
UserName_Isvisible = 0
Password_Isvisible = 0
SavePassword_Isvisible = 0
Port_Isvisible = 0
TxtPsw_Position = 0,0,0,0
TxtUserName_Position = 0,0,0,0

Login_normal_en.bmp, Login_over_en.bmp, Login_down_en.bmp, Login_disable_en.bmp

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

8. Progress Window

8.1 Overview

This is a Progress Window that may appear when loading the program, I am going to get rid of this Window all together.

This is what the Progress Window normally looks like:

pss_progressa.png

Progress_normal_en.bmp, Progress_over_en.bmp, Progress_down_en.bmp, Progress_disable_en.bmp. We will be deleting these files after we edit the skin below.

Skin File = Progress_config.ini

View as text file

8.2 Images

I change the images to a 1x1pixel blank image and resize it to 0 width and 0 height.

BackImage_Up = blank.bmp

New Image:

Right click to download ... then copy this to your skin folder (overwrite if it already exists)

blank.bmp

8.3 Skin File

Here is the new skin file that gets rid of the Progress Window: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 0,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 0,0
IsUseMask = 0
BackImage_Up = blank.bmp
Ctl_BackColor =  0,0,0
Ctl_TextColor = 0,0,0

[MainButtons]

[StaticText]
Progress_Isvisible = 0

[Progress]
ProgressPGS_Isvisible = 0

Progress_normal_en.bmp, Progress_over_en.bmp, Progress_down_en.bmp, Progress_disable_en.bmp

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

9. Bottom Skin

9.1 Overview

This is the entire lower portion of the PSS software, including the multiviews, logo, playback, config, etc.

I will be showing you 2 options here. Both are "lighter" restricted versions and are meant to give you a feel for how to do some more advanced editing of the skins. This will involve editing the existing images. We also need to edit 2 other skins and images, LeftBar_config.ini and Right_config.ini, and these will also be addressed first. These additional images are being edited to change to greyscale and also in the case of the left image to alter the shade a little darker to blend in with the new bottom image.

If you have been following this article we have already removed the Device Info window so that will not show in the images below.

This is what the original bottom window looks like:

bottom_normal_en_orig.png

New Skin: Option 1 - 64 way multiview with Playback

bottom_normal_en.png

New Skin: Option 2 - Basic 16 way multiview

bottom_normal_en.png

Bottom Skin file = bottom_config.ini

Here is the original file:

View as text file

Left Skin file = LeftBar_config.ini

View as text file

Right Skin file = Right_config.ini

View as text file

9.2 Buttons

I hide the buttons I dont want by using _IsVisible =0 and removing their additional fields.

I am going to greyscale the _normal image and just use that for _down and _disabled also. So just 2 images will remain in the skin folder for this skin. The _normal and _over images will be the ones I edit.

If you are changing the image, then you need to know how to change the layout of the Button field:

Position = x1,y1,x2,y2

In this case I just used the existing positions and moved the buttons over to the left.

HaveSwitchWindowButton and HaveSystemButton do not seem to do anything in this skin so ignore those fields.

9.3 Left Bar

In this skin the original _normal file is actually named _nomal so I leave it like this.

LeftBar_nomal_en.bmp

LeftBar_over_en.bmp

Here is the new skin file for the Left bar: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 46,609
IsUseMask = 1
BackImage_Up = LeftBar_nomal_en.bmp
BackImage_Over = LeftBar_over_en.bmp
BackImage_Down = LeftBar_nomal_en.bmp
BackImage_Disable = LeftBar_nomal_en.bmp

LeftBar_disable_en.bmp and LeftBar_down_en.bmp

9.4 Right Side

None of the Main Buttons in this skin are used so we remove them from the file.

right_normal_en.bmp

right_over_en.bmp

Here is the new skin file the Right side: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 162,620
IsUseMask = 1
BackImage_Up=right_normal_en.bmp
BackImage_Over=right_over_en.bmp
BackImage_Down = right_normal_en.bmp
BackImage_Disable = right_normal_en.bmp

[MainButtons]

right_disable_en.bmp and right_down_en.bmp

9.5 Bottom Option 1 - 64 way multiview with Playback

In this example I remove all the buttons below the multiviews, rearrange the multiview buttons and add in a new playback button. This still allows the user to view up to 64 cameras and playback video - minus the more advanced features like alarms and changing PSS settings. Even though I am hiding the 1 way button in this skin, it wont work if you remove its additional fields so those are left in this case. The playback button field is simply adjusted in the config file using the original full screen position.

bottom_normal_en.bmp

bottom_over_en.bmp

Here is the new skin file for Option 1: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 1024,115
IsUseMask = 1
BackImage_Up = bottom_normal_en.bmp
BackImage_Over = bottom_over_en.bmp
BackImage_Down = bottom_normal_en.bmp
BackImage_Disable = bottom_normal_en.bmp
HaveSwitchWindowButton = 1
HaveSystemButton = 0

[MainButtons]
ViewQuality_IsVisible =0
RealSmooth_IsVisible =0
FullScreen_IsVisible =1
FullScreen_Position = 98,2,132,28
FullScreen_TipText = FullScreen
1Win_IsVisible =0
1Win_Position = 178,2,212,28
1Win_TipText = 1 Win
4Win_IsVisible =1
4Win_Position = 138,2,172,28
4Win_TipText = 4 Way
6Win_IsVisible =1
6Win_Position = 178,2,212,28
6Win_TipText = 6 Way
7Win_IsVisible =1
7Win_Position = 218,2,252,28
7Win_TipText = 7 Way
8Win_IsVisible =1
8Win_Position = 258,2,292,28
8Win_TipText = 8 Way
9Win_IsVisible =1
9Win_Position = 298,2,332,28
9Win_TipText = 9 Way
13Win_IsVisible =1
13Win_Position = 338,2,372,28
13Win_TipText = 13 Way
16Win_IsVisible =1
16Win_Position = 378,2,412,28
16Win_TipText = 16 Way
20Win_IsVisible =1
20Win_Position = 418,2,452,28
20Win_TipText = 20 Win
25Win_IsVisible =1
25Win_Position = 458,2,492,28
25Win_TipText = 25 Win
36Win_IsVisible =1
36Win_Position = 498,2,532,28
36Win_TipText = 36 Win
49Win_IsVisible =1
49Win_Position = 538,2,572,28
49Win_TipText = 49 Win
64Win_IsVisible =1
64Win_Position = 578,2,616,28
64Win_TipText = 64 Win
RecManage_IsVisible = 1
RecManage_Position = 52,2,92,28
RecManage_TipText = Rec Playback

About_IsVisible =0
Real_IsVisible =0
SchemeRun_IsVisible =0
Alarm_Isvisible = 0
AlarmRec_Isvisible = 0
EMap_IsVisible = 0
SysConfig_IsVisible = 0
Close_IsVisible =0
SizeSwitch_IsVisible =0
Minimize_IsVisible =0
Menu_IsVisible =0

[StaticText]
TiltleInfo_Isvisible = 0
TiltleInfo_Position = 0,0,0,0
TiltleInfo_BackColor = 
TiltleInfo_TextColor = 255,255,255
TiltleInfo_Text = 

Real_IsVisible =0
Alarm_Isvisible = 0
SchemeRun_IsVisible =0
AlarmRec_Isvisible = 0
RecManage_IsVisible = 0
EMap_IsVisible = 1
SysConfig_IsVisible = 0

bottom_disable_en.bmp and bottom_down_en.bmp

9.6 Bottom Option 2 - Basic 16 way multiview

In this example I remove all the buttons below the multiviews, rearrange the multiview buttons and leave up to only 16 way multiview. This makes for a more basic live view only, minus the more advanced features like playback, alarms, changing PSS settings, etc.

bottom_normal_en.bmp

bottom_over_en.bmp

Here is the new skin file for Option 2: (download)

[MainSettings]
MaskColor = 255,0,0
MainWindow_Size = 1024,115
IsUseMask = 0
BackImage_Up = bottom_normal_en.bmp
BackImage_Over = bottom_over_en.bmp
BackImage_Down = bottom_normal_en.bmp
BackImage_Disable = bottom_normal_en.bmp
HaveSwitchWindowButton = 1
HaveSystemButton = 0

[MainButtons]
ViewQuality_IsVisible =0
RealSmooth_IsVisible =0
FullScreen_IsVisible =1
FullScreen_Position = 52,2,92,28
FullScreen_TipText = FullScreen
1Win_IsVisible =1
1Win_Position = 98,2,132,28
1Win_TipText = 1 Way
4Win_IsVisible =1
4Win_Position = 138,2,172,28
4Win_TipText = 4 Way
6Win_IsVisible =1
6Win_Position = 178,2,212,28
6Win_TipText = 6 Way
7Win_IsVisible =1
7Win_Position = 218,2,252,28
7Win_TipText = 7 Way
8Win_IsVisible =1
8Win_Position = 258,2,292,28
8Win_TipText = 8 Way
9Win_IsVisible =1
9Win_Position = 298,2,332,28
9Win_TipText = 9 Way
13Win_IsVisible =1
13Win_Position = 338,2,372,28
13Win_TipText = 13 Way
16Win_IsVisible =1
16Win_Position = 378,2,412,28
16Win_TipText = 16 Way
20Win_IsVisible =0
25Win_IsVisible =0
36Win_IsVisible =0
49Win_IsVisible =0
64Win_IsVisible =0
About_IsVisible =0
Real_IsVisible =0
SchemeRun_IsVisible =0
Alarm_Isvisible = 0
AlarmRec_Isvisible = 0
RecManage_IsVisible = 0
EMap_IsVisible = 0
SysConfig_IsVisible = 0
Close_IsVisible =1
Close_Position = 992,4,1017,30
Close_TipText = Exit
SizeSwitch_IsVisible =1
SizeSwitch_Position = 973,4,991,24
SizeSwitch_TipText = SizeSwitch
Minimize_IsVisible =1
Minimize_Position = 953,4,972,24
Minimize_TipText = Minimize
Menu_IsVisible =1
Menu_Position = 936,4,952,24
Menu_TipText = Full Menu

[StaticText]
TiltleInfo_Isvisible = 0
Real_IsVisible =0
Alarm_Isvisible = 0
SchemeRun_IsVisible =0
AlarmRec_Isvisible = 0
RecManage_IsVisible = 0
EMap_IsVisible = 0
SysConfig_IsVisible = 0

bottom_disable_en.bmp and bottom_down_en.bmp

9.7 Conclusion

Both options above should give you a better idea of how to customize the bottom window to best fit your needs. In my case I am aiming for speed and restricting use of advanced features, but this can differ from one application to the next. You must be able to use an image editing program to change the images otherwise you will need to source that work out. I must note that I am not a graphic artist by trade nor did I spend any real time editing the images so someone else may be able to do a much better job - for example there is a slight difference in shades between the bottom and right side images and the left bar and title bar images after I edited them for these skins, but I did not find it noticeable enough to spend more time working on that right now.

Below are 2 examples showing what your PSS may look like at this point in this article depending on which Bottom Option you chose to apply.

Option 1 - 64 way multiview with Playback

pss_bottoma.png

Option 2 - Basic 16 way multiview

pss_bottomb.png

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

10. Status Prompt

I am going to remove that annoying prompt that pops up every time I make a change.

pss_statusa.png

There is no skin file for it.

The image file is: tasknoticbg.bmp

Simply delete that image file and there will no more popup!

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

11. Documents

The skin folder contains at least 3 document files:

PSS_User's Manual.pdf

PSS_help.chm

PSS_help_EN.chm

Deleting these files will save you 18MB.

If you followed this article from Part 3, deleting these 3 files will now reduce your skin folder from an original size of 60MB to just 35MB. However, doing this will not help to speed up PSS.

1. INTRODUCTION

2. GENERAL SETTINGS

3. SKIN FILES

4. EXIT WINDOW

5. DEVICE INFO

6. TITLE BAR

7. LOGIN WINDOW

8. PROGRESS WINDOW

9. BOTTOM SKIN

10. STATUS PROMPT

11. DOCUMENTS

Hi Rory

Thanks for the post,

there is some really good info here,

What I have not worked out yet is how to save the screen to auto display the last screen I had when I last logged out,

for example I have 6 sites all with 4-8 cameras I need to right click device manager, then click the window to where I want to place the video and then right click the camera and select main stream or extra stream.

There should be an easy way to do this....

Regards

Abzi

Hi Rory

Thanks for the post,

there is some really good info here,

What I have not worked out yet is how to save the screen to auto display the last screen I had when I last logged out,

for example I have 6 sites all with 4-8 cameras I need to right click device manager, then click the window to where I want to place the video and then right click the camera and select main stream or extra stream.

There should be an easy way to do this....

Regards

Abzi

Goto Config, Option, Check the box that says "Save last monitor status"

OR, in "UserLogin.ini", under "[LoginInfo]", set the following to 1:

SaveLastMonitorState=1

This will only connect in Mainstream though, even if you were previously connected in Substream.

If you want to use Substream (or Mainstream) you will need to create a task and then set it to Auto Start in the Options. Create a task by going to Setting Manage, Scheme Task Config, Monitor Task, NEW. Name the task, select the screen display (eg.9 way, 16 way, 36 way, etc), select a Window for this channel (will give you from 1 to the total display channels, eg. 1-36 for 36 way, 1-4 for 4 way).

You will notice you cant edit "Device" and "Channel", to add a device channel move your mouse over to the Device list and double click a device to connect to (if not already connected). Then using your left mouse button select a channel and drag it to the "Device" box in the Task window; the channel number will then appear in the "Channel" box. You can then select the "Stream Type" for that channel, and click Add.

Then close it all out and goto Config, Option, and check the "Auto Start Task" box and select the Task name from the drop down. There is an icon at the bottom of the main program that lets you pause or resume the task as well, the task being your custom screen display.

Why they do it this way or call it a Task is beyond me, but it does work

Task setup:

psstaskeg.jpg.69cc4f7f6de3d52c2da47a829b5f5193.jpg

pss.thumb.jpg.ca3df292e2dd58ea24ba2ef37f2c6f21.jpg

414295899_pssextrastreammonitor.thumb.JPG.2a632c535d13ef528395c7e18561fb52.JPG

I downloaded the file "General_PSS_Eng_IS_V4.04.6.R.110302.rar" and extracted (2) files, "Pro Surveillance System.msi" and "setup.exe", but no .ini files, what did I miss?

You have to install it on a computer first. then you can goto the folder to access the ini files, or copy it to run it from anywhere.

Rory, need to somehow make an installer for all these changes now. It's great that it is so tweakable but the value comes in when you can bundle a customized cd with the installer for your customers. Customer installs the software and it has your business name all over it with contact information etc...

Rory, need to somehow make an installer for all these changes now. It's great that it is so tweakable but the value comes in when you can bundle a customized cd with the installer for your customers. Customer installs the software and it has your business name all over it with contact information etc...

This will be great!!

This will be great!!

Ive started to work on it

Ive found manually switching back and forth between full and tweaked skins to be annoying myself so I have to make it easier. By the way I now have the tweaked skin folder down to a tiny 2mb size from 50mb.

Ok, I'm trying to change my PSS download record path so that my boss can easily find where the video files have been downloaded. But no matter where I put the path to download the files they keep making random number files named 1001,1011,1006,ect..we can not figure out why this keeps happening. I have searched through the manual and can't find out the reason. We are both getting quite annoyed by PSS's inability to allow you to determine how the file will be saved, if any one could please tell us how to get the video file to just save in another file with the Camera Name, the M/D/Y H/M we both would appreciate it!

Say you want it to download into path

C:\User\Owner\Desktop\PSS Videos

Now I have changed the record path, to the above address and it will in the PSS Video file add the 1001 file, 1011 file, 1006 file, ect. We want it were it will no longer add those files and just put all the video files in together. He wants to organize them by incident.

Ok, I'm trying to change my PSS download record path so that my boss can easily find where the video files have been downloaded. But no matter where I put the path to download the files they keep making random number files named 1001,1011,1006,ect..we can not figure out why this keeps happening. I have searched through the manual and can't find out the reason. We are both getting quite annoyed by PSS's inability to allow you to determine how the file will be saved, if any one could please tell us how to get the video file to just save in another file with the Camera Name, the M/D/Y H/M we both would appreciate it!

Say you want it to download into path

C:\User\Owner\Desktop\PSS Videos

Now I have changed the record path, to the above address and it will in the PSS Video file add the 1001 file, 1011 file, 1006 file, ect. We want it were it will no longer add those files and just put all the video files in together. He wants to organize them by incident.

You choose where the videos are stored, and how the videos are named. The 1001 1011 1006 you are referring to are probably the year and month.

187565_1.jpg

I hope you don't expect PSS to magically create folders for you with names like "videos were they stole whatever from us" for each "incident" as you say.

You choose where the videos are stored, and how the videos are named. The 1001 1011 1006 you are referring to are probably the year and month.

I hope you don't expect PSS to magically create folders for you with names like "videos were they stole whatever from us" for each "incident" as you say.

I have changed the Path that the files will be saved in, and why would it save each download into diffrent files when I have changed the rules for the file names, it randomly creates different files to put each download files into..So say I download a video from yesterday, It would download the video but put it into a file named 1001, then in another file named Birch04052012, then name the .DAV file 04052012..I have changed all the settings but it keeps adding in the weird random numbered file. I'm sorry I can't explain it better..