duvdi

Convert streaming GeoVision to Windows Media or Flash format

I would like to convert streaming GeoVision to streaming Windows Media or Flash formats.

The GeoVision camera is connected to a Windows XP computer and now I can see the streaming media only using the GeoVision Active X.

I would like to be able to embed it on a website so the user will not be prompt to install Active X.

Thanks

I don't care if the drivers of the active x will be installed on the server (the computer that the camera is connected to), as long as the user side will be able to use windows media or flash which are non security hazards...

The preferred layout

The Camera is connected to the Server.

The Server should be able to convert the GeoVision to Windows media or Flash.

The server should stream to the internet.

Doesnt exist from GeoVision.

One theoretical way would be to setup a flash streaming server on your DVR and convert their AVIs to MP4 or flash using FFMPEG or another. Or run the ActiveX on your DVR in a server program and snapshot each image then convert that to a video then to flash to stream. Lots of extra processing though, better just to snapshot them then stream them as jpgs (eg. server push). Its doable as Ive tested it but personally Id rather they just use a separate app not the web browser as then they have more power and more features. If you give them any features inside a browser you are opening them up anyway. Flash IS a security hazard these days BTW as its difficult to disable without 3rd party apps in some browsers and as long as it can DO SOMETHING it can do SOMETHING to your PC (no not the video itself but flash in general, same with ActiveX) - remember the days when FireFox was a safe browser? Now its not and now Chrome is but that will change too as people find holes. But if you are only allowing a single ActiveX and it is safe (created by you or someone you trust) then ActiveX is not a security hazard - just dont leave your security settings open and watch what sites you visit.

The only issue I would like to avoid is that the final users will not be required to install any driver. That is why I want to use the well-known and used formats like Windows Media Player or Flash.

The first theoretical approached is the one I would like to use. What would I need to accomplish this approach?