SEANHAWG

Controlling Multiple PTZ's with one DVR

I am setting up multiple PTZ's at my house and I want to control them with my 4 channel DVR. I really do not want to use a seperate PTZ controller as I like the way my DVR has mouse driven PTZ controls. My DVR only has one set of RS-485 connections. I know I can daisy chain my PTZ's but I really dont want to because that will be a pain in the butt to install because my PTZ's are at opposite ends of the house and I have to run all my wire on the exterior of my house as attic access is not an option.

What I am looking for is a hub of some sort that will take 4 seperate sets of RS-485 connections and take it down to one RS-485 connection to input into my DVR. Is there something like this or can you recommend something else that will achieve this. I was thinking about trying to squeeze all 4 sets of wires into my one RS-485 connection on the DVR but I didnt know if this would cause communication issues to the other PTZ's, my initial thought are that it would not since each PTZ would be assigned its own CAM ID but I thought I would ask first.

Yes I know that I will have to go into the DVR's menu and change the CAM ID everytime I want to switch a PTZ but that is not a problem.

Any suggestions.

Why don't you just daisy chain it at the DVR and run that one set of wires (+ from PTZ1 and - from PTZ4) into your dvr. You dont actually have to run wires around the house and daisy chain at the PTZ's.

I guess I am confused on how I would do that? If each camera has 2 wires each TX+ and TX-. How would I connect them all and which ones would plug into the DVR?

Just connect both to the DVR, in parallel, and enable termination on both/all cameras. Consider that a typical "daisy chain" is a parallel layout as well.

I guess I am confused on how I would do that? If each camera has 2 wires each TX+ and TX-. How would I connect them all and which ones would plug into the DVR?

Hi sean. you best way is both back to the dvr tx+ &tx- just give each ptz a differant address i.e 01 -02

Cool. I will post pics and videos once I get it up and running.

Sean, I have always wondered about this configuration for PTZs. I never installed them but will soon and could use whatever pictures you post. I remember the installer telling me you can tie-in all PTZs together to the 485 in the back and designate through proper PTZ address. I see how he did it but I just don't get it.

Jason, all you need to do is connect the cameras in parallel. Most manufacturers' installation diagrams show them all in a line, with the wire jumping from camera to camera, but they're still wired in parallel. Wiring all of them straight back the DVR accomplishes the same thing, electrically.