Birdman Adam

Neighborhood CCTV

Same with the lens calculations... Is 16mm on a 1/3" ccd through an 850nm ir pass filter REALLY a different FOV than the same withouth the filter?

Nope, exactly the same FOV.

Bean00 what i was saying was not to record in D1 (like bosh says) cif/ 2cif/ does not matter which. the software you get with the camera is what you zoom into the plate with not the dvr. (you do the zooming on a pc it also comes with enhacement tools)

using a lens calculator .............. yes its fine for a standard camera the REG-X at 8.3m is dead will not see anything at all .......... so no point using the lens calculator.

I apologize, I think alot of this debate we've been having revolves around me misunderstanding what your saying.

You are absolutely correct in stating that the REG-X does have a max range(due to the IR pass filter and the cameras IR distance). And this is something I wasn't taking into account honestly. I've worked with mostly REG-L1's and my one customer that did use these also used a number of 850nm IR bullets for overview that helped with the illumination of the scene(850nm is what the REG-X is "tuned" for.)

To retract my previous statements regarding this camera: While I know that the REG-X does shoot a bit farther than the specified limits, it's not much farther and it's a very good idea to stick within the specified limits with this camera. This is due to the overall IR range.

Yea, as it stands now, I'm just about perfectly in the middle of their recommendations. Pretty soon I'm going to to some more real measurements to rally get it all figured out.

We can save you time and money.... I'd love to help... Much cheaper than you think...

(Pics removed)

What does this look like if the car has a smoked license plate cover?

I would assume similar? Looks like IR is used to light up the plate. You must be using REG-D1 with color overview camera? Because day image is color on the plate cam, and night image seems to have IR filter.

The problem I have with cameras with lenses 25mm+ will be that they will be looking so far down the street. The section between the main road and the first driveway has a steep hill going up to the driveway. I'm afraid its going to be hard to get a good picture with cars going up a hill.

Smoked plate covers are difficult to see through. At night with IR it's relatively good. During the day it's relatively good too. You have to watch out for that dusk/dawn twilight time where there's enough light to keep the IR off but not enough to keep a good shutter speed. The pro cameras should have that covered.

This is bad enough with uncovered plates when you use a non-LPR camera to read plates. The smoked plate increased the amount of time that the plate is unviewable during the dusk/dawn hours.

The smoked covers show up as darker, of course, so if your brightness/contrast etc are set to a good level for seeing regular plates then you may or may not see though smoked covers. This is one of the reasons I use multiple channels recording of the same image with the brightness/contrast set per-channel at the DVR. The three different settings give me more chances of hitting upon the right levels on at least one channel.

Edited by Guest

We can save you time and money.... I'd love to help... Much cheaper than you think...

(Pics removed)

I've reviewed aprx 10 days worth of video... hundreds of vehicles not seen one yet. Also, we're catching plates coming AND going... we have front and rear plates in TX.

(Pics removed)

I've reviewed aprx 10 days worth of video... hundreds of vehicles not seen one yet. Also, we're catching plates coming AND going... we have front and rear plates in TX.

Seen any printed plates?

More seriously, what about temp tags and motorbike plates? Smaller writing.

The problem I have with cameras with lenses 25mm+ will be that they will be looking so far down the street. The section between the main road and the first driveway has a steep hill going up to the driveway. I'm afraid its going to be hard to get a good picture with cars going up a hill.

Not true... This turn key setup is extremely versatile... It just works and could work and numerous applications. It's easy, but must be carefully and thoughtfully installed as you obviously already know.

By the way... this IS example looking up a hill, fairly steep grade at that.

Seen any printed plates?

More seriously, what about temp tags and motorbike plates? Smaller writing.

YES, I can see printed plates during the day. Have not seen any at night, but suspect it NOT to work.

The good thing is this client is it's a semi-restricted area. No access control, but the people in the area generally are supposed to be. Having temp plates/ no plates would makes a vehicle stand out, and would definitely be the minority. Unless the application is near a car dealership, I would suspect this to be the case anywhere. Also, with paper plates those are easy to counterfeit. What's the significance of what they say??

Keep in mind we're still getting a clear vehicle description both day/night...

I know it's bad form in a forum to skip to the end, however...for your pole, I'd use composite. Much lighter, same strength easier to deal with. I worked in the lighting field for years before jumping to CCTV and we reped a great line out of Virginia...good folks, alliancecomposites.com. Shoot me a pm and I'll see if we can pull a contact and get one direct (usually they like to go through distributors, reps, etc). Also, I'm up in Youngsville, I see you're in Chapel Hill, we rebrand cameras and DVRs and might have something that could help you keep the costs down, if not in stock we can get it in a like a week. Shoot me a note!

Now I must go back and read the 7 pages I skipped....

I know it's bad form in a forum to skip to the end, however...for your pole, I'd use composite. Much lighter, same strength easier to deal with. I worked in the lighting field for years before jumping to CCTV and we reped a great line out of Virginia...good folks, alliancecomposites.com. Shoot me a pm and I'll see if we can pull a contact and get one direct (usually they like to go through distributors, reps, etc). Also, I'm up in Youngsville, I see you're in Chapel Hill, we rebrand cameras and DVRs and might have something that could help you keep the costs down, if not in stock we can get it in a like a week. Shoot me a note!

Now I must go back and read the 7 pages I skipped....

Good to know! Thanks for the info! I did a little lighting/sign/neon work myself... service only though.

Lots of good information in this thread, what was the final outcome? Was anything bought and installed, and how well does it work?

Unfortunately nothing further.

You all probably know how it goes: "Oh, it won't happen to me..." Maybe once a couple more idiots in our neighborhood get robbed they will all change their minds...