Merlin3100

Like looking through a bug screen?

Hi Group,

I'm installing my first 16 cam system. The cams I'm using are IR, color, 550 & 600 TVL cams with External Zoom & Focus Adjustable.

My question is, no matter how well I adjust them out I see what looks like ripple lines on the edge of items in the image. You will see it the best on things with straight lines as if I'm looking out through a window with a bug screen?

Sometimes it looks like a ripple effect or hash marks as things move through the image.

The other thing I see is something that looks like the image looks like it's sparkling or moving in some way. I think what I see is called "Electrical Noise". All of my cams have DNR, but none of the settings seem to make any difference in the image. It is not bad but I would not consider perfect. But like I said, this is my first system and maybe I'm expecting to much.

Thanks in advance for any help,

The cams I'm using are KT&C , KPC-N500

http://www.ktncusa.com/english/viewtopic.php?t=682#

I doubt the problem is with the cameras, more likely the monitor or DVR.

I almost get the impression that you're seeing the interlaced image - I've seen it on a large number of no-name & big name DVRs, but that's mostly on action shots (person walking, car driving, etc). Or you might just have a poor quality CRT monitor, but I guess that's unlikely nowadays.

What kind of DVR?

I've seen some top brands do this while having manufacturer reps demo the systems - I simply moved on so I haven't had to work through this.

If I was in your position I'd first try switching over to the VGA cable. I'd check the monitor settings, possibly different video card (make sure your card is approved by the DVR manfacturer - hardware compatibility is very imporant), then I'd experiment with recoding resolution.

I suppose these artifacts are also recorded - maybe you could post an image or video clip...

I'm pretty sure you could switch to progressive cameras but that's about the most expensive route you could go.

Try to see if there is a setting on your dvr to deinterlace. If not then follow this guide below. I personally use the smooth deinterlace filter with avisynth, processed through virtualdub.

http://www.100fps.com/

What kind of DVR?

I've seen some top brands do this while having manufacturer reps demo the systems - I simply moved on so I haven't had to work through this.

If I was in your position I'd first try switching over to the VGA cable. I'd check the monitor settings, possibly different video card (make sure your card is approved by the DVR manfacturer - hardware compatibility is very imporant), then I'd experiment with recoding resolution.

I suppose these artifacts are also recorded - maybe you could post an image or video clip...

I'm pretty sure you could switch to progressive cameras but that's about the most expensive route you could go.

Sorry for the delay. I'm trying to figure out how to post a clip or an image. So far any of my clip files seems to come with 20 files needed to get the clip to work. Also my snapshots are the .BMP files and the forum will not let me upload that kind of file format.

You will see something as soon as I can figure it out.

What kind of DVR?

Sorry for the delay. I'm trying to figure out how to post a clip or an image. So far any of my clip files seems to come with 20 files needed to get the clip to work. Also my snapshots are the .BMP files and the forum will not let me upload that kind of file format.

You will see something as soon as I can figure it out.

OK...What I had to do to get this image to the group is I had to print out the .bmp file then rescan it before I could save it as a .jpg file.

Now I'm not sure what it will look like to you on this site after doing all of this. I can tell you the image looks much better on my LCD then it does in this picture.

But I want you to look at the lines of the door on the truck at the bottom of the window that look like hash marks. You can see these hash mark lines lines on the roof line on the building as well. You really can see them if you were looking at the clip where the truck is moving.

It's not as bad in this example but when you see it happen it is always on a straight line of something. And when the something mover it looks like the hash marks are moving as well.

Any thoughts?

1075239842_CCTVcam2.jpg.e834013f9db640596d8281f6f9353c1f.jpg

Please post the original image, hard to tell with the scanned image.

You can upload them to tinypic.com then post the forum link it gives you.

Thanks.

Please post the original image, hard to tell with the scanned image.

You can upload them to tinypic.com then post the forum link it gives you.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I did this correctly but here it goes.

w9d2ea-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

OK... If you look at the picture http://i56.tinypic.com/w9d2ea.jpg check out the straight lines on the truck and roof line on the building.

On the trucks door at the bottom of the drivers window, as well as the lower body lines on the door, you can see what I describe as some type of hash marks. The same on the edge of the roof line. It's not as bad in this picture. But you see It more when you see the live motion of the truck driving by at 15-20 mph.

The settings on the DVR for this camera are as follows;

Compression: H.264

Resolution: CIF

Frame Rate: 30FPS

Bit Rate 1024Kb/S

Any thought what might do this or maybe an adjustment I need to do?

That's an interlace problem. Either de-interlace or if your dvr automatically de-interlaces then try to manually de-interlace the video yourself. My lorex dvr does the same thing as it does not automatically de-interlace.

edit: I see that you are recording in CIF. The above does not apply to CIF since it is non-interlaced. Your video is normal for CIF recording. Try recording in D1 at 7fps.

What kind of DVR?

This is the DVR I'm using: http://www.watchnetdvr.com/embeded_es_rt_kit.asp

The 16 camera model.

Its a Dahua DVR as far as I can tell.

Slight Jagged edges seem to be common with it. But increase the encoding to D1 if you havent already. Even better if you can download a short video clip and convert to avi then post here. Just to verify, it backs up in .DAV format right?

Also on their site is a very old version of the PSS network software .. 3.8. .. you can download 4.4 from the manufacturer's website, IMO it is much better. Maybe this is an older DVR?

Also on their site is a very old version of the PSS network software .. 3.8. .. you can download 4.4 from the manufacturer's website, IMO it is much better. Maybe this is an older DVR?

I hope not. I paid $650 for it new this past summer. I was told it was a good unit. But you know how that is. Everyone you talk to sells the best DVR's.

It was one of the few that I found that had the HDMI video output.

I hope not. I paid $650 for it new this past summer. I was told it was a good unit. But you know how that is. Everyone you talk to sells the best DVR's.

They seem to have a couple customized versions of software for their DVRs, but specs and everything else including the old Dahua software leads it to being a Dahua DVR - Dahua OEM for many US brands.

Here is a thread on tweaking the PSS software .. or use the links in my sig to view the new one:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23702

I used another version of that PSS multisite manager that does connect and play video from my DVR ... old version also .. this one doesnt .. maybe they customized the ports also even though I changed that manually. Anyway ... Dahua's software might still work with your DVR as they give a few extra options in setup of a device.

It was one of the few that I found that had the HDMI video output.

Yes thats what first led me to say its Dahua ... Intellicam also had them for a while now. Mace as well. Even Q-see had one of their units but without HDMI. In fact they come with 1080P HDMI now, at least on Dahua's website, and MACE has the 1080P also - the ones I currently use are still 720p.

Yes thats what first led me to say its Dahua ... Intellicam also had them for a while now. Mace as well. Even Q-

see had one of their units but without HDMI. In fact they kcome with 1080P HDMI now, at least on Dahua's website, and MACE has the 1080P also - the ones I currently use are still 720p.

This one is 720p. And as fars as I know it is made by Watchnet. Did you go to the web site I posted?

This one is 720p. And as fars as I know it is made by Watchnet. Did you go to the web site I posted?

They dont make them, Dahua is the real manufacturer.

Yes, I already downloaded all the watchnet software, thats why I said it is an older version software of the same Dahua software I have here. Specs on the DVR are identical also.

Yes, I already downloaded all the watchnet software, thats why I said it is an older version software of the same Dahua software I have here. Specs on the DVR are identical also.

1.) Would I benifit from a newer software version?

2.) Could I even do that upgrade with my DVR?

3.) I may buy another DVR because I can easily install 32 cameras around my farm. If I did buy another, what wuold be your recommendations?

1.) Would I benifit from a newer software version?

2.) Could I even do that upgrade with my DVR?

3.) I may buy another DVR because I can easily install 32 cameras around my farm. If I did buy another, what wuold be your recommendations?

1-probably wont fix the issue you have here, have you set the encoding to D1? Also what is the bitrate at? Send me the IP and login via PM and I could test the PSS network software with it if you want, or you can download the new PSS software and test it yourself. Im not really seing anything much wrong with the image you posted except its very low quality, hard to tell without seeing a video clip.

Here is the latest PSS software, either way its just the network software, cant harm it. You may need to change the port from dahua DVR's default 37777 to whatever port their version of the DVR is using:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/upload/General_PSS_Eng_IS_V4.04.0.R.101104.rar

2-A firmware upgrade? Perhaps. You would need to get the version number and verify that with Dahua to find out what model and which one it is first. They only have I think 3 firmwares on their site. I took the chance when I did mine .. as mine is also OEMd out to a US brand .. it worked though, but was not much different. You need to find the bios version number.

3-I use these DVRs for now so I can recommend them but in the US they are OEMd and can Look different. There are better DVRs out there though I am sure, these are generally considered Lower end, though Dahua (and their OEM partners) has a more advanced Enterprise unit.

in the case of this DVR no, it only affects the Recorded and the Live Network video.