Quantum

Outdoor HD IP Fixed Camera

After studying the forum quite a bit, I think I've come to some conclusions.

I want to monitor my 100' driveway and front yard for no particular reason. This is about a 45 degree field of view. I have a backup server running in the garage which regularly backs up my 4TB RAID10 array for the HTPC in the house. This backup server could also serve as my security camera server, running ZoneMinder. (MythTV is my media server over Debian, and the backup server runs Debian as well) I want to mount a camera on the post at the entrance of my drive, obscured by bushes, and aimed toward the house to catch license plates.

I think that a realistic expectation for me would be 3-5MP resolution, and I'd like good night vision but it's not mandatory as I'm home at night. Seems to me that the best brands are Avigilon (out of the question), Axis, Sanyo, and Mobotix. Ideally I'd like to spend $500 or less on the camera.

Sharpness of image is paramount. Focus in depth of field is a worry. Ideally I'd like it to alert my Android phone of motion during the day, and maybe stream me video.

Can you recommend some camera candidates? Used cameras are fine, as long as the quality is there.

I'd also like to know how to do a door camera that would be able to see visitors' faces, yet not be up in their face?

After studying the forum quite a bit, I think I've come to some conclusions.

I want to monitor my 100' driveway and front yard for no particular reason. This is about a 45 degree field of view. I have a backup server running in the garage which regularly backs up my 4TB RAID10 array for the HTPC in the house. This backup server could also serve as my security camera server, running ZoneMinder. (MythTV is my media server over Debian, and the backup server runs Debian as well) I want to mount a camera on the post at the entrance of my drive, obscured by bushes, and aimed toward the house to catch license plates.

I think that a realistic expectation for me would be 3-5MP resolution, and I'd like good night vision but it's not mandatory as I'm home at night. Seems to me that the best brands are Avigilon (out of the question), Axis, Sanyo, and Mobotix. Ideally I'd like to spend $500 or less on the camera.

Sharpness of image is paramount. Focus in depth of field is a worry. Ideally I'd like it to alert my Android phone of motion during the day, and maybe stream me video.

Can you recommend some camera candidates? Used cameras are fine, as long as the quality is there.

I'd also like to know how to do a door camera that would be able to see visitors' faces, yet not be up in their face?

OK 3-5MP cameras for $500 or less is not gonna happen. 1080P or 2 MP you have some options. Also I would not recommend running your VMS software on a machine that is not dedicated for it.

Also besides the Pro cameras Avigilon is not as pricey as you think.

Well what about these calculations? For 1080p I'm getting about 1.5MP. Can that be right? Any perspective on resolution?

He's right... you'll need to increase your budget it you want 4-5mp.

Resolution isn't everything though bud.. look at the bigger picture...no pun intended. Lol I've seen 5mp images that looked worse than 2mp ones...

Also... you like to sleep every now and then, right? Night time recording IS important!! You'll need lots of light for mp cams... wether it be from IR or visible white light you'll need it, or wish you had it the frst time something happens.

Undoubtedly in your price range you'll find MP IP cams with built in IR (Vivotek, ACTi, etc)... These will help but don't expext it to light up a large outdoor area, regardless of that the spec sheet says.

Seems to me that the best brands are Avigilon (out of the question),

Have you seen the pricing on the new Avigilon cameras? I'm guessing no.

Best,

Christopher

Well what about these calculations? For 1080p I'm getting about 1.5MP. Can that be right? Any perspective on resolution?

Applying HDTV terms to IP surveillance cameras is done mainly as a marketing ploy; specs like "720p" and "1080p" technically define factors beyond just resolution - aspect ratio and minimum framerates are a part of it.

Nevertheless... 1080p in typical widescreen HDTV parlance is 1920x1080 pixels, which actually equates to a hair over 2MP.

OK, maybe I could do 2-3MP. Sharpness of image is paramount. Focus in depth of field is a worry. Ya 1080 lines was the best way I could get across what I am hoping for.

Haven't seen the new pricing on Avigilon cameras, in fact I can't find -any- pricing on them. They all seem to be indoor cameras though, which I guess would require a bulky housing.

(Hm, I'll have to figure out what this varifocal is...)

OK, maybe I could do 2-3MP. Sharpness of image is paramount. Focus in depth of field is a worry. Ya 1080 lines was the best way I could get across what I am hoping for.

Haven't seen the new pricing on Avigilon cameras, in fact I can't find -any- pricing on them. They all seem to be indoor cameras though, which I guess would require a bulky housing.

Avigilon makes indoor and outdoor cameras. You will not find pricing online " title="Applause" /> , Avilgilon does not allow online sales

Sanyo VDC HD3300, day/night, vandal, varifocal etc. for around $600.00

GREAT camera! Good luck getting one until Feb though... Sanyo supply issues. Have a demo unit for sale thouh. I'll even throw in FREE shipping to anywhere in US!

Absolutely! I fully agree with bpzle: [mod edit: store links removed] Day/Night Vivotek or Acti IP cameras within the $500 will do the job!

Easy killer... I never recommended those. I was simply warning not to expect great things from the night time ability in cameras around his price range...especially those with integrated IR such as ACTi and Vivotek. But since we're plugging here and to be fair, I'm a dealer for both as well! As well as countless other brands... Thanks for the biased, worthless input though. Lol!

Easy killer... I never recommended those. I was simply warning not to expect great things from the night time ability in cameras around his price range...especially those with integrated IR such as ACTi and Vivotek.

What is your opinion of the Vivotek IP8151 Supreme Night Visibility box camera?

Best,

Christopher

OK, maybe I could do 2-3MP. Sharpness of image is paramount.

Then you'll want to worry more about the lens than the camera. Go with a slightly cheaper camera and spend some more on a really high-quality lens - maybe even something rated for 5MP to go with your 2MP camera.

Focus in depth of field is a worry.

There's where you get a trade-off: you can improve DOF by closing down the iris, but that will cost light and require a slower shutter as it gets darker out. So, your best bet is to get an auto-iris lens, and a camera that supports it.

Unfortunately all this means your options are dwindling fast... and probably means you're now over-budget.

"Variable focal length". Means you can adjust the field of view. DOES NOT mean you can do it remotely in real time; a varifocal lens just makes setup easier and more flexible by allowing you to fine-tune your FOV to your installation.

Put something like this in your door?

DoorPeepholeCamera-1.gif

Sanyo VDC HD3300, day/night, vandal, varifocal etc. for around $600.00

GREAT camera! Good luck getting one until Feb though... Sanyo supply issues. Have a demo unit for sale thouh. I'll even throw in FREE shipping to anywhere in US!

I just ordered a bunch of 3300's and Sanyo sent me 3500's instead because of the supply issue. I'll take that any day

Dome just won't work, but thanks. And Sanyo's others would require a housing, blowing the budget and making it conspicuous.

Easy killer... I never recommended those. I was simply warning not to expect great things from the night time ability in cameras around his price range...especially those with integrated IR such as ACTi and Vivotek.

What is your opinion of the Vivotek IP8151 Supreme Night Visibility box camera?

Best,

Christopher

Have not used one yet.... you?

Sany. VDC HD3300, day/night, vandal, varifocal etc. for around $600.00

I just ordered a bunch of 3300's and Sanyo sent me 3500's instead because of the supply issue. I'll take that any day

You don't say.... and exactly WHEN did you place this order?

I have accounts with 6 of Sanyos top distributors in the country.... I regularly talk to the only Sanyo corporate sales rep for North America... Have his personal cell phone number. Would you care to enlighten me....you must know something or someone I don't. ...

Yes, Sanyo was substituting 3500s for 3300s for a short while in October/ Nov... but now they are out of 3500s as well...have been for quite some time

but now they are out of 3500s as well...have been for quite some time

Not intending to high-jack the thread, but I've noticed an increase in supply problems. Crow D&D PIRs, Avigilon, Sanyo, are a few examples of delayed shipments.

Best,

Christopher

but now they are out of 3500s as well...have been for quite some time

Not intending to high-jack the thread, but I've noticed an increase in supply problems. Crow D&D PIRs, Avigilon, Sanyo, are a few examples of delayed shipments.

Best,

Christopher

Sanyo is just screwed up. Avigilon is not gonna be a problem it is only the h.264s. Got nothing on the Crow's

I didn't realize they can be waterproof. As long as I can mount it on a vertical post (partially obscured by bushes), and it is rainproof (lots of rain - Seattle) sure it'd be fine. Of course I'll paint the housing for camouflage.

I want it to be very inconspicuous, so a housing camera wouldn't work. I like the Sanyo 3300, but can't find one for $500 or less. Axis and Mobotix are all over $1,000, and Avigilon is coy about their prices as is everyone in this thread who's hinted about them, so screw that.

Here's (yet another) question: I've run Honeywell cat5e down the 100' or so of driveway, but how do you plug that into the camera waterproof? I saw a hint of a special RJ45 connector, but no idea where to get them nor whether they'd secure to regular cat5e.

Ideally, you'd run some kind of conduit, LiquidTite, or other sealed piping, into the camera housing (dome or otherwise), and terminate inside the housing. If using a bullet that has a permanent "wire tail" you'd run the conduit to a weatherproof junction box and terminate inside that.