torbenc

Handheld screen for setting help

Hi

Im installing 16 cameras around our store, and need something handheld, that I can use to focus the cameras with, eg. when im up on a ladder.

Are there any handheld monitors, with BNC or RCA input that I can use? Or do you have any suggestions for easy focusing?

Pick up a portable DVD player with A/V input. They can usually be found new for around $100; I got my latest one on Craigslist for $30. Works great as a signal source for testing as well. And of course, once you're done with the cameras, you then have it for watching movies

Just be aware that while almost all portable DVDs have A/V out, not all of them have the input option... just make sure to check the specs to confirm that it does.

Or do you have any suggestions for easy focusing?

If the DVR supports it, an iPhone is another approach.

Best,

Christopher

You cant focus a camera properly with a small hand held monitor, especially a low res portable DVD player. Though some would disagree, thats my experience.

Will it suffice in most cases? Sure. Will it be perfect? Nope, unless you are really lucky and accidentally hit the sweet spot.

^I knew that was coming.

Your alternative, of course, is dropping a few hundred for a proper hi-res service monitor, or lugging a CRT (complete with extension cord) up your ladder.

So... yeah.

or prefocus the cameras in a controlled environment.

There are also more expensive Focus Meters ..but they dont always work especially if there is alot of motion in the video. CRTs run under $100 now BTW.

I also use the portable DVD method BTW, as a last resort ..

OR, i connect via the network software at highest resolution and adjust it with my netbook, works but its rarely actually a good focus, the software generally compresses it too much, and these cameras are already low res, compared to megapixel.

What we do and I know this is not what the question is, but we have on head installer at the DVR site and his asst. at the camera making the adjustments being relayed to him by the head tech. We usually do a pre-focus at our shop and make the slight adjustments needed at each location as needed.

or prefocus the cameras in a controlled environment.

Tried that once. Had to fine-adjust every camera once it was actually on-site anyway. Didn't really see the point in trying it again.

CRTs run under $100 now BTW.

So are portable DVDs. Let us know when you find a battery-powered CRT that weighs less than a pound.

Tried that once. Had to fine-adjust every camera once it was actually on-site anyway. Didn't really see the point in trying it again.

I do it every time and every time it comes out perfect - this way one can use a good monitor to focus with and control the lighting to get the best focus all around; and then one also doesnt have to worry about not being able to see the monitor screen at the location due to bright sunlight.

Actually I recall you yourself saying on this forum that CNB's come focused and you dont have to adjust them - well same idea, unless ofcourse the view is changed at the location - that said I have had to focus most of the CNB's as the focus was not 100% which leads me to believe there are some installers who are okay with a mediocre focus, if in fact they are not refocusing them. But anyway there are tons of threads on this already so as not to repeat myself I wont go any further - to the OP please use the search to find out how to focus properly.

So are portable DVDs. Let us know when you find a battery-powered CRT that weighs less than a pound.

I paid $150 for my cheap COBY Portable DVD, but thats neither here nor there, the quality is nothing close to that of a CCTV CRT, and with the DVD one will NEVER get a proper focus, unless as I mentioned before it is by pure luck.

I paid $150 for my cheap COBY Portable DVD, but thats neither here nor there, the quality is nothing close to that of a CCTV CRT, and with the DVD one will NEVER get a proper focus, unless as I mentioned before it is by pure luck.

Never been a problem here... no luck required. Just because YOU haven't done it, doesn't mean nobody else can.

And be careful saying "never". There are, in fact, portable DVD players out there with full 800x480 or higher screens. Some even support non-interlaced video.

to the OP please use the search to find out how to focus properly

The OP asked about HANDHELD screens. Go ahead and list some handheld CRTs.

Never been a problem here... no luck required. Just because YOU haven't done it, doesn't mean nobody else can.

The resolution, lack of pixels, tiny screen, there is just no way on this earth. One would have to be superman to see "edges" in the video that are not even there on the screen.

The OP asked about HANDHELD screens. Go ahead and list some handheld CRTs.

Simple, it doesnt exist, and neither does a hand held LCD monitor which allows proper focusing.

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to be able to focus on site. Tried 2" + 5" and 7" monitors. Can't fine focus with it. I only get consistant results when I use a 9" to 13" monitor.

where do you get a focus meter?

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to be able to focus on site. Tried 2" + 5" and 7" monitors. Can't fine focus with it. I only get consistant results when I use a 9" to 13" monitor.

where do you get a focus meter?

http://www.ngsystems.co.uk/fm1.html

its also available in the US from a distributor called Beishir Lock & Security.

There is also the camera master, but that costs 3 times the price of this one.

Dont know how this works if there is movement in the video though, I think these meters use the largest image size as they have you go through the full range of the varifocal lens and back again, then start focusing. Not 100% sure though, havent had the chance to test it yet. Other than that, Wonwoo has the rapport 2 which has a built in DVR and long lasting battery, but screen too small to focus with, good for recording setups though and I guess if these focus meters work, good to use together.

I find the best method is to get a good set of walkie talkies, or 2 guys with a cell phone, have one at the camera and one at the monitor and do the following

"Zoom out a little.....no, too far, go back........awww you went to far again go the other way......no! now your way off, what are you doing!?!?.......okay now, screw in your set screws.......Aww man, when you were screwing it, it got out of focus again......okay you got it in focus now, shut the housing up.......... what the heck are you doing, you totally bumped the camera out of the field of view, start over"

I find that thats the best way.

we use these ......... when serviceing ............ handheld monitors are good but you never get the sweet spot.

Yeah Thats what I mentioned in my previous post. Though I havent used it and was wondering how well it works if there is alot of motion in the video? Do you guys use it outside as well? Its not a bad price, can even pick it up right in the US and for alot less than the Camera Master.

I find the best method is to get a good set of walkie talkies, or 2 guys with a cell phone, have one at the camera and one at the monitor and do the following

"Zoom out a little.....no, too far, go back........awww you went to far again go the other way......no! now your way off, what are you doing!?!?.......okay now, screw in your set screws.......Aww man, when you were screwing it, it got out of focus again......okay you got it in focus now, shut the housing up.......... what the heck are you doing, you totally bumped the camera out of the field of view, start over"

Thats too easy, the best way is for a single installer is to climb the ladder to the camera and adjust the lens, then get down the ladder and walk all the way back to the monitor and check the focus, if its not good yet, walk back and climb the ladder and adjust it just a tiny bit more, go back to the monitor and check it again, so on so forth

we use these ......... when serviceing ............ handheld monitors are good but you never get the sweet spot.

Yeah Thats what I mentioned in my previous post. Though I havent used it and was wondering how well it works if there is alot of motion in the video? Do you guys use it outside as well? Its not a bad price, can even pick it up right in the US and for alot less than the Camera Master.

motion does give problems but just hit the reset button and start again. yes we use it ouitside for short and long range.

how much have you found it for. here its just under $500. £265

Wow! Many answers!

I found these, but think that I can get the same result, with a DVD player screen from a car, that I have laying around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-2-5-TFT-LCD-Monitor-CCTV-Camera-Test-Tester-/120665916077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c183fc2ad

Untill now, I have also used the portable phone method, and it was a pain.

The lenses on my cameras, has IRIS - Are there any wireless methods to this? Then I could put the wireless adapter on the camera im focusing, run into my office, and focus. Maybe it's easyer to find the sweetspot then?

Thanks for all the replys! Think I hit a sweetspot question here

motion does give problems but just hit the reset button and start again. yes we use it ouitside for short and long range.

how much have you found it for. here its just under $500. £265

the distributer in the US sells it for around $184

Seems like you are paying too much!

http://www.ngsystems.co.uk/fm1.html

I dont see them at any retailers which is why I posted the link

Wow! Many answers!

I found these, but think that I can get the same result, with a DVD player screen from a car, that I have laying around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-2-5-TFT-LCD-Monitor-CCTV-Camera-Test-Tester-/120665916077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c183fc2ad

Looks neat, but keep in mind that 2.5" is about the size of your average smartphone screen.

The lenses on my cameras, has IRIS - Are there any wireless methods to this? Then I could put the wireless adapter on the camera im focusing, run into my office, and focus. Maybe it's easyer to find the sweetspot then?

Auto-iris just means the camera can control the iris - the aperture, or the size of the opening - in the lens, to adjust for varying light levels. It has an EFFECT on the focus, but nothing to do with actually ADJUSTING the focus.

Ya, my fault - Was thinking wrong.

The cameras has a 3-pin connector on the back, with the marks "+" and a symbol that looks like a broom, and a "V"

Don't know if that say something?

That sounds a little too familiar.

Ya, my fault - Was thinking wrong.

The cameras has a 3-pin connector on the back, with the marks "+" and a symbol that looks like a broom, and a "V"

Don't know if that say something?

Could be a data connection... what make and model camera is it?