cglaeser

Vivotek IP8151 Supreme Night Visibility

Most of the samples on Vivotek and Youtube have the camera mounted to a moving car. Apparently the camera was designed for Fellini wannabes. I need a low light camera I can mount to a stationary building.

Best,

Christopher

I only once bought camera because of rly good looking movie from it on Vivotek page/youtube - and it was disaster I will never believe in marketing movies anymore

I saw some "Supreme Night Vision" cams, but now when my clinet ask me for good LowLight cam I sell GeoVision GV-BX120D. I saw them on some instalation and they are grate. Soon we will lunch tests in our lab. I will post reaults as soon as my tech team will gather up.

Also check out Basler for low light MP stuff. The new BIP2 cameras are nice.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the specs list the D/N cameras as 0 lux. I never know if I should laugh or cry. Is there even one company in the entire security camera industry that knows how to write a meaningful specification?

Best,

Christopher

Also check out Basler for low light MP stuff. The new BIP2 cameras are nice.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the specs list the D/N cameras as 0 lux. I never know if I should laugh or cry. Is there even one company in the entire security camera industry that knows how to write a meaningful specification?

Best,

Christopher

Yea they do that for the B/W mode but for color on the 1.3MP Color: 0.95 lux (F1.0/33ms)

Yea they do that for the B/W mode but for color on the 1.3MP Color: 0.95 lux (F1.0/33ms)

Manufacturers need to stop doing that. It's not helpful. Instead, they should indicate that the camera is IR sensitive and list the minimum lux value without IR. Would also be helpful if the industry would specify the IR sensitivity as well. If the big names in the security camera industry would use specifications somewhat similar to the photography industry, a considerable amount of this guessing could be eliminated.

Best,

Christopher

Another alternative to IP8151 is IP8332! We have a review of the camera! It has a better night view than IP8151!

Have you compared the two head-to-head?

Best,

Christopher

Edit: Thanks for posting but this camera won't do. I need to monitor a poorly lit foot path from a distance of 80 meters. All I need to determine is number of people and the direction they are walking, so I'm not expecting ID and motion blur etc is fine, but a 15m IR 1/4" CMOS camera is not going to work. IR is not an option unless I get something like a RayMax or Extreme.

A Vivotek dealer showed me a demo of the IP8330 "Supreme" mounted on the back of an industrial building. The picture quality was terrible and the night performance was no scream either. Unless the camera wasn't setup properly, I would put up a better analog camera instead. I'm just testing the IP8332 and it's miles ahead of the 8330.

John

A Vivotek dealer showed me a demo of the IP8330 "Supreme" mounted on the back of an industrial building. The picture quality was terrible and the night performance was no scream either.

The lux rating on the Vivotek IP8330 product page is 0.1 lux. Is that a typo? That is not a particularly good performance for a low-res sensor that is touting "Supreme Night Visibility".

Best,

Christopher

Has anyone had an opportunity to test the Vivotek IP8151 Supreme Night Visibility cameras?

Best,

Christopher

I got one here at the office. I played around with it a bit but was not overly impressed with the whole low light Supreme thing. I have not set it up permanently outside yet but the playing around I did was during a windy night and there was a flag across the street and the motion was pretty good compared to an ACTi TCM 7411 which had considerable motion blur in low light. It was better than the ACTi's I have but I have not tried the CCD version of Acti yet.

I really hate this low lux rating specification. They don't tell you that the low light visibility is with a frame rate so slow that anything moving faster than snail pace will be useless but if no one is in the frame moving the static image is beautiful! Not impressed with any IR IP cameras either because of the same issue. I haven't found any yet that I can confidently suggest to a customer.

I tell the customer the way it is and at least they should hopefully be able to count how many intruders there were, maybe what they were driving so long as they stop in front of the camera, and what time it was.....LOL!

It is what it is at moment I guess.

I really hate this low lux rating specification. They don't tell you that the low light visibility is with a frame rate so slow ...

Part of the problem is that manufacturers don't want to fully specify the attributes of their cameras so as to mask some of the shortcomings, and part of the problem is that many installers are cable pullers who don't own a lux meter and don't understand the specifications for light.

When you get a chance, please post some images and videos. You should also send them to Vivotek so they can use them and take down the silly driving-through-city-streets Fellini film clips.

Best,

Christopher