dagwod

New NetworkIP 8-camera setup question for convenience store

I want to upgrade to new 8 camera IP network with POE for my own convenience store.

First of all any comments on these cameras i found on ebay for just under $250??

Outdoor Megapixel HD H.264 IP Network IR Camera w/ POE - from jetview (hong kong company) with included recording software. - Goal is to get high quality images

Also, I understand that I will use a poe ethernet port with all cameras connected to the port by ethernet cables. I want to use a desktop computer for recording. How will I connect the feeds from the 8 cameras to the desktop. Do i need separate hardware for this??

Should I take a completely different approach to this idea altogether the old cameras are analog 500 TV line (decent to poor resolution) connected to a geovision analog capture card on the desktop.

thank you very much.

Also, I understand that I will use a poe ethernet port with all cameras connected to the port by ethernet cables. I want to use a desktop computer for recording. How will I connect the feeds from the 8 cameras to the desktop. Do i need separate hardware for this??

You will connect the cameras to a POE router/switch, which your computer will also be connected to.

I want to upgrade to new 8 camera IP network with POE for my own convenience store.

First of all any comments on these cameras i found on ebay for just under $250??

Outdoor Megapixel HD H.264 IP Network IR Camera w/ POE - from jetview (hong kong company) with included recording software. - Goal is to get high quality images

Should I take a completely different approach to this idea altogether the old cameras are analog 500 TV line (decent to poor resolution) connected to a geovision analog capture card on the desktop.

thank you very much.

Please do NOT buy cameras from EBAY!!! If your looking for a toy then fine but if you want a reliable security system stick with known brands. Acti, Vivotek, Axis, Sanyo Mobotix, Sony.....

any comments on these cameras i found on ebay ... Goal is to get high quality images ...

"Houston, we've had a problem." -- James Lovell

Best,

Christopher

Hard to tell exactly what cameras you're referring to with that vague description, but yeah, buying cameras - ANY cameras - from eBay is probably going to be a waste. Yes, they'll be higher resolution than analog cameras, but not necessarily better QUALITY... and you're never guaranteed to get exactly what's advertised...

143022_1.jpg

As far as the hookup, if you're doing 8 cameras, you'll need bigger than an 8-port switch. Once we've used extensively is the Cisco/Linksys SFE1000P - it has eight 10/100 PoE ports and two gigabit ports for connecting to the DVR/NVR.

That's right! I'd also recommend what thewireguys did: stick with the well-established brands like Acti, Vivotek, Axis, Sanyo Mobotix, Sony. They are known for the quality of their products!