DaveM

Rolling ground lines on new CNB 24VF - resolved

I replaced 3 of my eBay special cameras with CNB-24VF dome cameras recently. The one on my front porch had rolling black lines going up the picture that weren't on my old camera. I tried the following:

Crimped new BNC connectors on both ends of the coax.

Re-terminated the power connections.

I took the camera off the common 12V power supply and gave it it's own 24VAC supply.

Swapped the camera with one of the others.

I still had the issue, so I ran a new CAT5 cable and used Baluns, lines still there! (35 foot run).

Ok, someone has probably guessed it. The house is typical California stucco finish. I mounted the camera using plastic anchors in the corner of the porch, and one of the screws pushed through and touched the chicken wire that was under the stucco. The CNB-24VF has a metal shell, and it was either grounded or connected to one big antenna by that screw. Shorter screws and the problem was gone. I never thought the camera could get a ground from being mounted on stucco. Maybe this post will help someone else out down the line.

Dave

Don't ya just hate it when problems arise from stuff like that?

I can't tell you how many times one little thing messes up a system like that so easily...

And then when you figure it out, you give yourself a big slap on the head!