SEANHAWG

IP Camera Net Viewing

I am testing out an IP camera on my home network. I am new to IP cams but I assume they work similar to how a DVR hooked up the internet works. I can view it great over my local network but of course I cant view it over the internet.

I have hughes net here at home. I checked my netgear routers WAN IP and it looks more like a local IP: 192.168.0.6:

1868710_ipcamera-1.jpg

This is a little different to me as I am used to how my network works at my office. I know this is different than the network I have at my office at work because the WAN IP for my router there looks like an actual public WAN IP. I have no problem getting things working over the internet there. But my problem now lies here at home network.

But as far as my home network goes.I assume the answer to this problem is to bridge my hughes net modem to my router, because if I do this, I will have a public IP shown up on my routers WAN IP. The only problem is that calling Hughes Net support is about the last thing I want to do. I also heard that the only way to get the modem bridged with Hughes net is to purchase a static IP which is more money that I would have to pay them. My question is, is there any other ways I can access my IP camera from the internet other than bridging my modem.

I would guess, no. Your modem sounds like a combined modem/router device; it will need to operate in bridged mode, or have you Netgear's IP set as DMZ, or something similar.

You should be able to find your actual WAN IP from going to www.ipchicken.com but that will only get you to the WAN side of the modem.

If you search the 'net using the actual brand and maybe model of your modem, there may be info on a default admin login, which you may be able to access using the gateway for the "internet port"... which I see isn't listed, but I'd guess is probably 192.168.0.1 or .254.

Yeah I can access my modem's admin but it doesnt really help, I cant really change anything. I assume I am going to have to call Hughes Net and listen to their Engrish.

I went to IP chicken and it did give me a public IP but it wasnt my modems IP

I also went to canyouseeme.org and it gave me a WAN IP too but it was different than IP chickens. The IP it gave me was the actual modems IP.

This striked me as odd as I dont know what the IPchicken address was?

IP Chicken SHOULD be giving you the outside, world-accessible WAN address of your connection.

What make/model is this modem? It sounds offhand like the Siemens units that our main DSL provider, Telus, uses - you can view most of the admin interface, but not edit anything without the proper login.

IP Chicken SHOULD be giving you the outside, world-accessible WAN address of your connection.

What make/model is this modem? It sounds offhand like the Siemens units that our main DSL provider, Telus, uses - you can view most of the admin interface, but not edit anything without the proper login.

Soundy most likely he sit behind "internal network" by his provider

what he should do is to call them and ask for "true" public IP

I have this situation all the time in Alberta with WISP and satellite ISP

Its a Hughesnet HN7000S Modem.

I think AK357 is right judging by other forum posts I have read on other forums.

The problem is I already pay $70 a month for "high speed" internet that is a little faster than dial up, paying more money to these jokers is the last thing I want to do. If anyone has an option between hughes net and something else, go with something else. Just do a web search about Hughes Net and you will see that everyone hates it. The only reason people use them is that they are the only option available to them, just like me.

I guess I am going to have to get the static because I am currently setting up a home system and I'll need to access my DVR remotely. I'll test my IP cams at my office for now.

Oh well, thanks for everyones help.

Sean, if you have a PC-based DVR, try a product like TeamViewer - the server portion makes an outgoing connection to their system, and you log in from there. TV can also create a VPN for your remote client to work over. Not the speediest way, but should actually work.

Thanks for the tip but its a standalone.

I always wondered what/if the advantages of a PC based system were over a standalone but I guess that would be one of them.

You got me thinking though, what if I had one of my PC's logged onto the internet at all times. I can then have remote access to that desktop, once I gain remote access to the desktop, I should then be able to go in and view my DVR and IP camera over the local network right?

You got me thinking though, what if I had one of my PC's logged onto the internet at all times. I can then have remote access to that desktop, once I gain remote access to the desktop, I should then be able to go in and view my DVR and IP camera over the local network right?

Yes, u right

That would work, but I suspect not very well. Sending a fairly static desktop is one thing, but cameras will be REALLY slow to update. You can do it, but it will likely be painful. Better than nothing, though.

That would work, but I suspect not very well. Sending a fairly static desktop is one thing, but cameras will be REALLY slow to update. You can do it, but it will likely be painful. Better than nothing, though.

Its going to be slow regardless since he is on satellite

As I understand it, the Hughesnet modem won't forward any ports, unless you have a static IP addess. To get around paying them the extra $20/mo for a static address, I am using a small embedded pc with Teamviewer software on it. I can connect to the small pc which is plugged into the router and by using teamviewer can connect to the IP cam on the local LAN. Cost of the pc and accessories was less than $120. It won't take very long to make up the difference by not paying Hughesnet the extra money.

It works very well with free OS Ubuntu on the mini-pc and best of all it only draws about 5 watts of power.

Good luck getting any help from Hughesnet. Thier tech support is totally worthless.

Take care

gbdane

From my firsthand experience: If you want full internet implementation with your surveillance equipment, ditch HughesNet. I did it and was one of the best decisions ever made.

From my firsthand experience: If you want full internet implementation with your surveillance equipment, ditch HughesNet. I did it and was one of the best decisions ever made.

Hey Sean,

So you did it eh?

We still have Hugesnot AND a local line of sight ISP. (Soundy came by a couple of weekends ago and managed to get the whole mess connected together without any conflicts. Thanks again Matt ) The one thing I do like about HN is the fact that the pipe is wide open for 5 hours at night, so all of those youtube videos and big uploads and downloads can be done then. The LOS ISP doesn't want us to use too much bandwidth, ever. So youtube is right out with them, but they do have a static IP and have no problem having us use their service for remote viewing our CCTV.... (If i can ever figure out how )

Might I ask what your new ISP is?

We're (im)patiently waiting for our new cell tower to get turned on, and so we'll have a third option, albeit another expensive one...

Hi Jon,

At the time I posted this in January, Hugesnot was the only broadband service available to me. I was aware that they had the Static IP option but did not want them to rip me off with more monthly payments than they already were.

We now have ATT U-verse and its the bomb. No ghetto Fair Access Policy bull dung like with Hughes Net. I feel sorry for folks who's only option is Hugesnot because I was once there myself. My whole experience with them was not good all around.

I'll tell you what! Before we had an option with the LOS service, we were literally at hughsnot's mercy.

Now, at $70 per month for them AND $35 per month for the LOS guys, we get a grand total of 30 Gigs of bandwidth per month... That's $1260 per year + taxes and other fees.... All that because we wanted to live in the country..

Not sure what were going to do when the cell tower gets turned on. The Turbohub looks like a good deal, until you go over the 10 Gig per month bandwidth, then it's kaching kaching kaching into Telus's pocket...

Whatever. We'll still have to pay one way or another...