SEANHAWG

Anyone used U-verse internet

Yeah, I just got a notice today that Uverse is available for my area. That means I get to ditch hughes net. Uverse claims to be pretty fast but I would like to see if anyone else has used it?

I don't use it myself, but most things I've heard about it are positive. One negative thing is that it reportedly does not work very well with alarm system monitoring in many areas

Yeah, I just got a notice today that Uverse is available for my area. That means I get to ditch hughes net. Uverse claims to be pretty fast but I would like to see if anyone else has used it?

I switched from Comcast and so far, I've been relatively happy. It's not for the person who wants to use their own PVR or watch TV on their PC with a video card, etc, because the input comes in via a different method.

I ordered it and got the fastest one. Turbo Max Pro which is 24 MBPS @ $65/mo. They should install next tuesday.

Sure beats paying Hughest net for 1MBPS for $70 a month. And I dont even get 1MBPS, more like a third of that.

It's not for the person who wants to use their own PVR or watch TV on their PC with a video card, etc, because the input comes in via a different method.

Why? or what would not make it work?

I just got it installed yesterday and I must say it is blazingly fast. I got the 24 Mbps service. I havent experienced speeds over 3 mbps so this speed is pretty new for me and I like it. One thing that the kid did that installed the wireless modem is that he put it in the worst possible location in the house that he could have. We have a small bonus room upstairs that is far away from all of our computers and other devices. My wife was home and didnt think that this was a problem, the problem is that the wireless signal is not that strong and it results in 7-12 mbps whenever we are in the living room. So we are having another installer come back and "do it right" tomorrow and put the modem in our living room.

I was considering doing that but I hear when you do that you will have problems with port forwarding which I will need to hook up my DVR and IP camera. Also, I have heard that it reduces the speed a little bit too, but that part is heresay.

I just use the wireless for my computers and stuff, Its a pain the butt to have to hook an ethernet up to my laptop everywhere I take it in the house. I'll hardwire the DVR to the router though.

Another guy came by and moved the router downstairs and all is working good now, the only thing is that every now and then the internet will cut out for like 10 seconds which isnt too much of a problem but will be whenever I get my Xbox and play online with it, so if it continues, I'll probably be calling them up again. I average about 22mbs but sometimes gets a little lower and then sometime a little higher.

Here is a recent speedtest I just did:

1930038_speedtest-1.jpg

Uverse is what they call a "Fiber To Node" Internet. Apparently, it is sent through Fiber Optic cable to certain "Vrad" units throughout your area, from the Vrad unit, it is then sent via Coax cable. You can also get TV and Phone with it as well but I just opted for the internet service.

Apparently Verizon has a similar service called Fios, but I believe it is Fiber directly to your location which results in faster speeds.

Uverse is what they call a "Fiber To Node" Internet. Apparently, it is sent through Fiber Optic cable to certain "Vrad" units throughout your area, from the Vrad unit, it is then sent via Coax cable. You can also get TV and Phone with it as well but I just opted for the internet service.

Apparently Verizon has a similar service called Fios, but I believe it is Fiber directly to your location which results in faster speeds.

So its just really fast Cable Internet?

My 87 year old mother has fiber to the house. (She really needs it as she checks email every couple of weeks and then spends two weeks figureing out how to reply I have cable and my speeds appear to be faster than hers. I think a big factor in speed is what type of computer you have and how much memory you have installed. If you have a slow processor that can be a bottelneck. Her fiber is connected to a router which has a 10/100 connection so I would guess her max has to be 100 and she is not reaching that.

So we are having another installer come back and "do it right" tomorrow and put the modem in our living room.

If you still experience WiFi strength issues, check out the Netgear Dual Band routers. I have a large two story house and could never get good signal strength throughout the house until I acquired one of these about a year ago. I also picked up some of the Netgear bridges for cheap at Fry's. Exceptional signal strength and speed.

Best,

Christopher

I just use the wireless for my computers and stuff, Its a pain the butt to have to hook an ethernet up to my laptop everywhere I take it in the house. I'll hardwire the DVR to the router though.

Another guy came by and moved the router downstairs and all is working good now, the only thing is that every now and then the internet will cut out for like 10 seconds which isnt too much of a problem but will be whenever I get my Xbox and play online with it, so if it continues, I'll probably be calling them up again. I average about 22mbs but sometimes gets a little lower and then sometime a little higher.

Here is a recent speedtest I just did:

1930038_speedtest-1.jpg

I've got Time Warner and getting similar results.

I've peaked at 25Mbps, never dropped below 20Mbps that I've seen. Gotta love the speed.

Your upload is better though. They got me capped at 2Mbps. My PHONE does better than that lol(8-10Mbps down 3-5Mbps up... gotta love 4G ).