Arockerdude

Will my Geovision 800 system 8.4 work on 64 Bit Windows?

Will my Geovision 800 system with 8.4 software work on 64 Bit Windows? I want to switch from 32 Bit to 64 Bit thinking my computer will run better and faster. Your thoughts? Thanks Dave

8.4 will work with windows 64. I've been told there's still some issues out there from a friend who's in the business. I've been using 32 bit with no trouble and his opinion was to stay that way for a while.

Probably didn't help you much.

Shouldnt make a difference in speed, just means you can use more memory so if it goes over 3GB then wont start paging to the HDD like 32bit with a max of 3GB. Processor should be same speed, etc. In fact id go as far as to say its could be more trouble than its worth, right now anyway. Either way for example XP 32 bit is tried and proven, cant speak for Windows 7 as I dont use it for DVRs but its still new compared to XP, and a much slower larger more complicated OS. As long as XP is still available and works I will use that.

Just as an FYI, I have been using both a GV-800 and a GV-4008 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine since 8.3 and I haven't had a single issue.

Thanks for the help. I tried to load Geovision on 64 bit Windows 7 and it was a no go. I tried the 64 bit driver that came with Geo 8.4 and it would not work for me. Lucky for me I purchased Windows 7 online at the MS store and was able to sign in to my account and download either the 32 or 64 bit version no extra charge.

I use my computer for everything. Not just Geovision. Since I put Windows 7 on this computer things have run much, much better. Seems to me it would be a big help to have the extra memory with the 64 bit version. I was not aware most people use 32bit system with Geo. What if someone only had a 64 bit system and they were trying to run Geovision? Seems they would have to switch to 32 bit version.

We build the DVRs from scratch, and use them only as a DVR.

I doubt its running better from actually having Windows 7 though, XP was probably just never setup properly or overloaded with things.

As for memory, we have systems in the field with 1GB memory and others on the forum I read even had them with 512MB (probably old versions like 6.0) ... But yes the more memory the better for Geo, its a memory hog (like Win7) always has been but even more so now with the 8.3 and higher.