SSTV

Camera to watch my scooter night & day

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this forum because I want to buy a camera to keep an eye on my scooter during night & day which can be parked on the street or in the front garden. The locations are close enough to each other to be in the same view. My window is situated on the 2nd floor of the building so I'm guessing the distance will be around 10m-15m.

I am currently using a webcam that's suckered to the window and free software called YAWCAM. This is sufficient during the day until it becomes very sunny or night time where I can't really see anything and movement detection doesn't work.

I would like a camera that's preferably an indoor one but if an outdoor one is needed then so be it. I would also like:

* it to be independent from my PC now.

* to be able to use movement detection and preferably designate 2 areas in the frame.

* it to record the movement to a memory card or the internet.

* connect a small flat monitor to it so I can have it next to my bed!

* to access the picture via the internet.

Is this all possible or am I expecting too much! Please advise me on any products or ideas. I've looked through this forum and must say that although it's very interesting, it can be very overwhelming with all the stuff that's available but if there's a beginner's guide could you please point me to it.

Thanks very much and hope you can help, I really appreciate it.

Look for something called a spotlight dvr looks like a security light, it will take a 10 second avi video triggered by motion up to 60 feet away, and at night will turn on the spot light also. Stores the video on an onboard sd card. The video will just over write the oldest clip when full so you can set it and forget until you have an issue. then just pull the sd card. will not satisfy your bedtime viewing pleasure, this is not analog cctv so you will be able to work with the video.

* to be able to use movement detection and preferably designate 2 areas in the frame.

In regards to numbers 1 and 5, if you don't have it connected to a PC then it's difficult to view via the internet without an expensive Network Video Recorder.

I know theres a wireless camera system called the night hawk that records to an SD card and it can be viewed on a regular tv monitor. It uses motion detection and a 40 foot infrared night vision range at night. It should cover all your requirements except for number 5.

I would like a camera that's preferably an indoor one but if an outdoor one is needed then so be it. I would also like:

Is this all possible or am I expecting too much!

That first one ("independent of my PC now") is the killer. That's pretty much going to limit you to cameras that will record to a built in SD card or other nonvolatile storage (e.g. Axis cameras). I suspect you'll be much happier if you take an old upgrade orphan PC (don't we all have at least one?) out of the closet and put it to work as a DVR/NVR.

Thanks for all your input. It really has given me food for thought. So much so that Ive realised I've gotten way ahead of myself by listing too many wants all at once! Maybe it's better for me to use the process of elimination.

So I'm thinking that the first thing I should address is night time:

What would be the minimum spec for a camera that will enable me to see my scooter about 15m away with a little help from street lighting?

Does the camera have to be an outside one or is there an indoor one that will do the job?

Finally, does motion detection work at night and if so is there a minimum spec for this too?

Thanks again and hope you can help.

Hello SSTV - is this sorted out now, do you have a system in place to monitor your scooter?

If not, let me know - I might have an option for you so that you can still monitor the area from inside the window.

I set up an IP camera for just such a purpose recently albeit watching over a car. I hasn't

caught anyone but there have been no more attempts to damage the vehicle or slash the

tyres It was an IP camera a Foscam 18904W outdoor camera 6mm lens with IR

( various lenses are available just message the seller) and I used free software called

Vitamin D. The software has the motion detection built in and can distinguish between

people and animals and light changes .

Another word about the IP camera, it is wireless so you'll need to have a wireless router but

that means you will only need to run power (5v dc, supplied) to the camera itself.

I would recommend buying a stronger camera bracket, the one supplied isn't good enough

It is so good at determining motion between people light changes and people detection that it never captures

the headlights of cars passing etc but capture usually only when people are in the frame.