Simo

Small, Cheap (& Nasty?) CCTV Cameras

Hi All,

Just got my new AVTech DVR with a series of medium sized outdoor cameras and it's working great. Now I need some for inside.

The reason I need small and discrete ones is not because I'm hiding it from anybody specific, but just so they aren't big and bloody obvious when guests are here.

I was wondering if anybody had experience on cameras like these:

screenshot20110111at117-1.png

screenshot20110111at118-1.png

Now I realise they are going to be pretty crap quality, so I'm not expecting miracles, just basic CCTV. I'm also thinking I need the larger model with piddly IR since it's going to be completely pitch black at times, so even with low LUX, the other one is useless.

Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are. Cheers.

I actually have one of those exact cameras (the top one) - lets see if I can find some pictures from it... I dont use it anymore, but pics are always nice to judge from... Also, dont get the IR one, just buy a separate IR illuminator. Unless you put the camera right up to their face it won't help.

EDIT: Here's some pics... These are actually pretty new, as I just replaced the camera a little while ago:

These pics are captured at 640x480, so not quite D1. BTW, I have the B/W version, color version will suck at night-time images even more.

60W light off to left:

002capturee-1.jpg

Daytime lights from outside. Notice how it easily washes out camera view.

007capture-1.jpg

Bunch of 60W overhead lights on: View is better...

012capture-1.jpg

60W from another area.

035capture-1.jpg

I would only use this camera if:

-The area viewed was well lit

-The shot was very close, (1'-8')

There is also this type of camera....

screenshot20110111at341-1.png

I'd say similar to the non-IR version above.

It looks like I'll have to live with the lack of IR, since a separate illuminator is just too big and defeats the purpose.

EDIT:

Thanks for the pics!

These type of cameras are really not worth considering unless one is totally broke .. they are like $2 toys from china being sold on amazon for $10.

If you want something small and discreet which is still inexpensive, that actually gives a decent picture, check out the line of KT&C Mini Cube Cameras. Sony CCD 1/3" 550TVL available for example. They basically have alot of options. IN fact we use their mini BW bullets in the night clubs here, cant see them even if they tried.

Did you get the B&W version Birdman? It seems that I bought a camera like that not too long ago and it was color and gave a little better picture.

I have a black pinhole camera that looks similar to the one you posted Simo and it gives off a superb picture for its size. I wouldnt use those in a real large room though, they would be fine for a small office setting or something of that nature where the light remains constant throughout the day but for most settings they are not an ideal camera.

Picture of this cam from a while ago

basementcam2-1.jpg

Yea, I have the B&W version. I have had this camera forever. I used to use it to get close shots of faces at front door, actually did its job there. I had it in the basement just until I could buy a proper camera. (Kind of a filler). I like to have the basement monitored because the window to the right is where the thieves busted in before...

I also have a pinhole camera like the one mentioned in the first post, except it is one of those 2.4GHz color wireless ones. Only good for close views and will lit areas, or for general views. right now I'm using it to monitor deer at one of my deer-stands! It's actually a fair design for its size, can run off of a 9V battery for a bout 6 hours. Range is about 400ft, through walls. Would be good for temporary covert surveillance! Oh, and both of the camera I just mentioned have audio, which is cool.

night%20vision%20cctv%20for%20sale,%20night%20vision%20cctv,%20night%20vision%20security%20camera,%20night%20vision%20security%20for%20sale-3371705257283540.jpg

Hi simo.. you are protecting your home with a cctv system. the last thing you need is to connect something to your system that then can put your home at risk. all the cameras you have listed are 8-9volt designed for short term covert while connected to a battery. they are not designed for 24/7 use.

they are many other ideal cameras for your to use

_covert20cameras20copy-1.jpg

I agree that these cameras may not be fully designed for continual use. Their design is cheap, with inefficient parts, both run warm.

That said, I have been running both cameras mentioned above for about 5 years now 24/7 for close up views. The wireless cam I have runs off 9v, the B&W one does 12v. They haven't had any problems, but I have made sure to use voltage regulators that keep the voltage stable, and doesn't raise it above the norm at all.

The wall warts that came with them (really cheap), put out 9.7v, and 13.4v, respectively, even under the load of the cameras. Not always good for continued use. The regulators in the cameras have to dissipate more heat.

Range is about 400ft, through walls.

Dang, not bad. I cant find a wireless Analog cam that works decent under 20' with no walls in between. I always get interference, the picture will look great for 5 seconds at a time and then it just gets this wierd interference.

I just bought one of those cheap Pan/Tilt IP cameras and I have to say it is actually pretty cool, it works off my routers Wi-Fi connection and it really gives a clear D1 picture for a wireless cam with little interference at all. The only thing is that it handles light differences very horribly, no customizable settings, but I wasnt expecting much out of it really.

Also, the antenna is only a couple inches long! Of course the camera does get pretty warm. Turning on a microwave slightly disrupts the signal.

A funny thing about the camera, it has four channel adjustments. By adjusting the channel, you can jam certain WiFi channels! Like for example, channel 1 may block WiFi channels 1-5, channel 2 may block WiFi channels 6-10. I've found this to be useful in certain situations...

Also, the receiver is tons of fun when going anywhere. It has an analog tuning dial, so I can sweep the whole 2.4GHz band. I can go around town and tap into all kinds of cameras, usually with sound! One time I was at a port at the coast in my boat. I happened to plug in my receiver to my TV and sweeped around. I found 5 cameras in the shrimp-processing facility across the street!!!

Since then I also have bought the same model, except at 5.8GHz. Seems all the sor of cheap wireless cameras are on 2.4 or 5.8GHz.

I have had it go through 4 insulated walls, drywall on either side, still reaching at least 350ft, no interference.. So equivalent to maybe 1-2 cinder block walls? This includes wiring and electronics all over the place.

1 block wall will likely stop it, drywall is more like a partition than a wall

Ive used the high powered wireless down here that claim the same thing, lucky if it went through 1 wall .. everything is brick down here. I learnt the hard expensive way, what works in America rarely ever works here Also remember anything with water will hold it back like a human body as well as fridges, stoves, washers, AC duct (aluminum), computer cases, monitors, etc. I would agree if a house is all sheetrock walls then should be fine except for the occasional downtime but down here where most are brick inside and out ... wireless just doesnt kick it .. even the wireless routers have issues getting through 1 wall though I get them through 2 normally with much lowered signal then its all over. Wireless alarms have the same issue here and they arent even pushing video.

If you want wireless that punches through walls though its 900mhz.

I have a black pinhole camera that looks similar to the one you posted Simo and it gives off a superb picture for its size. I wouldnt use those in a real large room though, they would be fine for a small office setting or something of that nature where the light remains constant throughout the day but for most settings they are not an ideal camera.

I think I'm interested in getting one of these actually....got any demo pics by any chance?

Cheers.

I only have one right now but I am working on a deal of getting a whole Gaylord full, not sure if I am going to get it or not. I will have some that will be hidden within clocks and stuff, its pretty cool.

Are these cameras okay to run 24/7 @ 12v?

I notice some are rated for 12v, some are not yet they all seem to be the same!

I've been running a couple of 'em 24/7 for a few years now, no problems. They are all pretty much rated 12VDC, usually less than 500 mA. Mine came with the appropriate power adapter.