Indoor camera

Ip

Poe

Day/night

Box/dome

Camera will be about 20' from product shelves

Lighting is good

Budget is 600-700

What have you had good experiences with?

With those criteria, there are many cameras that fit. From our Camera Finder, we found 56 matching. Of those, 20 are under $500. This is all using online pricing. Note some models ship with lens, some do not - depends on manufacturer policy.

With your specs, there's quite a lot of good products available. The biggest 'brand' included is Sony but ACTi and Vivotek both fit as well as a number of other commonly used manufacturers.

Btw, my understanding is that Geovision IP cameras can only be used with Geovision VMS/recorders. Someone let me know if I am wrong about this.

Btw, my understanding is that Geovision IP cameras can only be used with Geovision VMS/recorders. Someone let me know if I am wrong about this.

I can't speak authoritatively, but I suspect this is not the case - unless the cameras are embedding some sort of DRM in their output, there's no reason they shouldn't work with most other NVRs... especially if you consider that they're probably just re-badged name-brand cameras.

I think the "limitation" you're thinking of is that the GeoVision software doesn't require additional licensing to support their own branded cameras, where you need to purchase per-channel licenses to use other non-GV IP cameras.

I asked Geovision this question directly at a show and they told me that they did not. Maybe I am confused or misunderstood them.

However, I just looked at Milestone's, NUUO's and QNAP's 3rd party IP compatability docs and none list Geovision - http://www.milestonesys.com/support/technical+support/supported+hardware/supported_hardware/enterprise_pro_basis_plus http://www.nuuo.com/product.php?id=12&sub=3 http://www.qnapsecurity.com/pro_compatibility_camera.asp

If Geovision IP cameras do have 3rd party support, it appears to be very limited

I can't speak authoritatively, but I suspect this is not the case - unless the cameras are embedding some sort of DRM in their output, there's no reason they shouldn't work with most other NVRs... especially if you consider that they're probably just re-badged name-brand cameras.

I think the "limitation" you're thinking of is that the GeoVision software doesn't require additional licensing to support their own branded cameras, where you need to purchase per-channel licenses to use other non-GV IP cameras.

Geo cam only works with Geo soft

I do not know any open soft who can support Geo cams

on another hand i don't care

it nothing to do with "DRM"

its all about protocols

anybody can support anybody with right info about API and SDK

but whole different story

Interesting. Who, if anyone, OEMs the Geo cameras?

3xLogic is selling Vigil-branded IP cams... which are just relabeled Hikvision cameras. I can pull a stream (MJPEG or H.264) from a Hikvision cam I have using VLC... I haven't had a chance to try it with a Vigil camera, but I can't imagine it not working. Older versions of Vigil Server list Hikvision cameras in their setup, newer versions list them as Vigil cameras... but both versions of the software work with both cameras on the same settings.

So... if you know who OEMs the GV cameras, you could probably use those settings in another NVR for them (unless GV has had them customized specifically to break that ability, which for me would be reason enough to steer clear - who would want to install cameras knowing that they'll be useless if they ever want to change the NVR in the future??).

GeoVision SW sollution support many different cameras including ACTi, Axis, Bosch, Panasonic..... why you should looking for another SW instead of GeoVision - even more, if it ABSOLUTELY the same as the famous NUUO SW? And one more q Does Axis produce the SW which support other cameras?

I asked Geovision this question directly at a show and they told me that they did not. Maybe I am confused or misunderstood them.

However, I just looked at Milestone's, NUUO's and QNAP's 3rd party IP compatability docs and none list Geovision - http://www.milestonesys.com/support/technical+support/supported+hardware/supported_hardware/enterprise_pro_basis_plus http://www.nuuo.com/product.php?id=12&sub=3 http://www.qnapsecurity.com/pro_compatibility_camera.asp

If Geovision IP cameras do have 3rd party support, it appears to be very limited

Try Avigilon SW it does.

GeoVision SW sollution support many different cameras including ACTi, Axis, Bosch, Panasonic..... why you should looking for another SW instead of GeoVision -

The question was whether GeoVision cameras will work with non-GeoVision software.

Why look for other software? Because there's lots out there that's better.

GeoVision SW sollution support many different cameras including ACTi, Axis, Bosch, Panasonic..... why you should looking for another SW instead of GeoVision -

The question was whether GeoVision cameras will work with non-GeoVision software.

Sory,

Do you mean better and free of charge or just better?

Geo's NVR is much cheaper than others though. But yeah stuck with them if you use their cameras, but its not their fault really as they have the SDK (and the activeX comes with the cameras) so its up to other software developers (their competition) whether or not to include their cameras.

Rory,

Are you implying that Geovision's IP cameras are open and that all the other VMS manufacturers have shut Geovision out?

I am a little confused about your comment that it's not Geovision's fault.

Rory,

Are you implying that Geovision's IP cameras are open and that all the other VMS manufacturers have shut Geovision out?

I am a little confused about your comment that it's not Geovision's fault.

Im not implying anything, just stating what I know to be factual, from experience. Geovision supplies an SDK at request, with each camera you can also grab the activeX and put that in ANY application you want. In fact the ActiveX that comes along with any of the Geo DVRs also works for the IP cameras and servers - and vice versa. So yes, it is open, not closed. So yes its not Geovision's fault that their competition does not include the Geo IP cameras and Servers in their apps, they simply choose not to for whatever reason.

So every VMS manufacturer has decided to block Geovision? Why? And why just Geovision and not also block ACTi, Vivotek, Sony, Panasonic, Mobotix and every other vendor who sells cameras and recorders?

No idea, you would need to ask them, you asked a question and I gave you an answer regarding them being locked or open. But Geovision is primarily a software company first, always has been, they are not Acti or Axis who are known for their cameras primarily .. Geovision are software developers.

But I thought you would be happy to know that you can access Geo IP cameras and Video servers from ANY software program?

Embedding an activeX control is not the same as integrating with a VMS. You may be able to access it from some software programs but most users want to be able to connect to the stream from their VMS/DVR/NVR - that's still not possible.

Embedding an activeX control is not the same as integrating with a VMS. You may be able to access it from some software programs but most users want to be able to connect to the stream from their VMS/DVR/NVR - that's still not possible.

I Repeat - they have an SDK - the software programmers for those VMS etc CAN easily integrate that into their app, maybe not as easy as Axis, but still easy enough it was worth it to them. Bottom line is that one can easily connect to ANY geovision IP camera, Video Server, or DVR from ANY software program, if the programmers of such software were to integrate it into their software - it IS 100% possible. I would really double check the validity of whoever is telling you it is not. Alarm monitoring companies use Geovision's SDK integrated into their CMS for years now, this is nothing new, seems the IP software companies are behind on this, time for them to catch up, Geovision is a BIG player that has been around along time before them and have a huge client base probably larger than the entire IP camera industry, so it would be in their interest to support them, or not.

Think about it though, why would people use them for Geovision cameras when Geo's NVR is 1/4 the price? Thats the original point I was making. Its not that it is closed or whatever, it is WIDE open and has been for years.

As I said originally, I asked this question to a Geovision employee in person at a show. I just sent an email to a Geovision contact asking for clarification/confirmation.

It makes no sense that Geovision is wide open for 3rd party VMS support and that every VMS manufacturer is refusing to integrate with them. I could understand that some would but not even 1?

I think we've both made our points. If I hear anything back from Geovision, I will post their reply. Please do the same if you get any additional information.

I spoke with Geovision. They say they now support PSIA and are working on ONVIF.

They did not answer why no VMS currently supports them with a direct integration.

It makes no sense that Geovision is wide open for 3rd party VMS support and that every VMS manufacturer is refusing to integrate with them. I could understand that some would but not even 1?

I don't know if it's "refusing" so much as making it a lower priority behind other features. For example, if GV cameras use a proprietary stream format, even with the SDK, it would be more work to integrate it than something that's just a simple modification of another existing stream.

Most manufacturers will want to actually obtain one or two of the cameras in question as well, for testing that their implementation of the SDK works. I would expect at least some camera makers would be willing to provide demo models to better-known NVR makers to encourage the support... perhaps GV doesn't, which would move them down to the priority list.

If you're an NVR manufacturer, needing to keep up support on the big names (Panasonic, IQ, Arecont, Axis, Sanyo, etc. etc. etc.), smaller brands - particularly those from competing NVRs - probably get dealt with "later", but not necessarily "never".

Try Avigilon SW it does.

Avigilon does what?

Try Avigilon SW it does.

Avigilon does what?

You know... THAT.