matilda

Looking for a good home security camera

The article below is about a guy who had an app that alerted him of burglars

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082510dnmetappburglary.853963b9.html

I am looking for a similar CCTV system that will alert me when someone enters my home. I have heard of the Nuvico brand but I think it is a little overboard for what I need.

Ideally it is a system that I can hook up to a smart phone and will record what occurs.

Any suggestions?

When the DVR detects motion, it would be able to send an e-mail to your smart phone alerting you of the motion and it would also send you an image of what triggered the motion. You would then be able to connect to the recorder to watch the system.

Keep smiling

Henry

I would do some research on DLink brand cameras. They make some nice wireless IP cameras that will alert via email on motion. Each of their wireless cameras can also be recorded to PC.

This is the best setup for homeowners who are just looking for something simple.

matilda,

Where are you located?

It has been my experince that alarming based on video motion is a very bad idea. Yes it can be done, but you'll be getting constant false alarms that will become so annoying you'll want to turn it off. Especially outdoors, but indoors as well.

There are affordable and more practical ways to accomplish what you're trying to do...

matilda,

Where are you located?

It has been my experince that alarming based on video motion is a very bad idea. Yes it can be done, but you'll be getting constant false alarms that will become so annoying you'll want to turn it off. Especially outdoors, but indoors as well.

There are affordable and more practical ways to accomplish what you're trying to do...

I also agree with this. It all depends on what you are attempting to monitor.

From my experience with my residential system I agree with other posts that using camera motion detection to send alerts will result in many false alarms. Flashes of light through a window, momentary power brownout, passing clouds outside will trigger camera. If you use a DVR most have contact closure inputs that can be programmed. Connect a Passive Infrared Detector (PIR) to an input and program the DVR to send alert and record all cameras when motion is detected. PIR is much more reliable than using video motion for intrusion detection. You can still record on video motion, just don't use it to send alert.

Residential DVR system user

An inexpensive approach would be some network camera, e.g. Panasonic (or Axis if you spend a little more). So let's say $60-200.

Hook it up to Vitamin D, analytic software that distinguishes people vs. objects. Can send email or pic to your cell phone. Demo version for one camera is free. Pretty neat software, not perfect but my entire system is based around it.

It will generate some false triggers if it rains or is very windy. So easy to review footage.

Tried the D-link and it was dreadful, returned to best buy.

Another approach would be PIR based motion detect built into some cameras. Panasonic and Axis both have models with that approach, among others I'm sure.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m1031w/movie/index.htm

It's not going to look like the pictures they show but you get the idea.

I have been in the home security cameras services business for over 6 years. I finally have a topic that I can help with. :If you have any more qustions feel free to ask. [edit: link removed - please read the rules]

Other posters are correct. Do NOT use video-motion-detection to send you alerts. PIRs are MUCH more reliable.

And some cameras actually include them (the Axis M-series, Mobotix, etc).

Highly recommended