SEANHAWG

Pelco Spectra III Without BackBox

Has anyone tried or does anyone know of a way to get this to work without a backbox? I notice it has an RJ45 Port on the side but from what I have read, that is for servicing, not for regular use. Correct me if I am wrong.

I guess I would need the pinout for the bottom connectors to make this work, if it is even workable.

Send me one and I'll figure it out

Actually, me have have a couple sitting around the shop, I'll see if I can tell from that.

I assume there is a way if I knew what the pins on the bottom were assigned to.

Who thought of the idea of the backbox anyways?

All Pelco back boxes have active circuitry so it might not be wise to attempt to wire to a connector alone. Besides, how would you hang the dome drive? It locks into the back box with side tabs.

The in-ceiling (cheapest) back box is a BB4-F. Here's a complete list:

BB4-SMB Surface mount, black

BB4-SMW Surface mount, white

BB4-F In-ceiling, black

BB4-F-E In-ceiling, black, environmental

BB4-PB Pendant mount, black, standard

BB4-PG Pendant mount, gray, standard

BB4-PG-E Pendant mount, gray

You can get the flip-down door with the PC board that normally mounts in the back box. Time Lapse Supply (http://www.tlselectronics.com/pelcospectraiii.html) lists both Spectra III and Spectra IV door assemblies:

Part Number: BB4DOORASSY

Description: Pelco Spectra III and IV Complete Backbox Door Assy

bb4doorassy_md-1.jpg

Part Number: BB53DOORASSY-B

Description: Pelco Spectra III Complete Backbox Door Assy B-Stock

bb53doorassy_md-1.jpg

Anyway, here's the connector, if you're so inclined (although I think this is the female that goes in the dome drive; not the male that mates with it):

Part Number: CN12-3311-1022

Crosses to Part # SP22PCONN

Description: 22 Position Connector for Pelco Spectra II, III, and IV

Price: $18.40

sp22pconn_md-1.jpg

Thanks Carl, I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this.

Well it looks like I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on eBay for a backbox.

Whats this "backbox"?

Its basically what all the wires and cables connect to on the Pelco Spectra PTZ's. I find that most of the better PTZ's have 2 parts. The first part is the main camera module and the second part consists of the "back box" or "wire harness" or "wire base", or whatever you want to call them. I assume that they make them like this so if there is anything that goes wrong with the camera where you would need to do a repair or a replacement, you can simply just take the camera module off without completely unhooking everything. Whats crazy is that there are tons of good used PTZ's for sale on eBay but they are always missing that crucial piece that makes the camera complete, I find this to be very true for the Pelco Spectra cams especially.

I assume that they make them like this so if there is anything that goes wrong with the camera where you would need to do a repair or a replacement, you can simply just take the camera module off without completely unhooking everything. Whats crazy is that there are tons of good used PTZ's for sale on eBay but they are always missing that crucial piece that makes the camera complete, I find this to be very true for the Pelco Spectra cams especially.

There is that... plus, it makes it easy to upgrade if you build multiple cameras with the same connectors. Look at survtech's pictures, for example: the Spectra II, III and IV all use the same connector, meaning the backboxes are probably interchangeable. You're probably seeing all these older cameras without the backboxes because someone is just pulling the old Spectra II cameras out and snapping new Spectra IVs in.

Look at survtech's pictures, for example: the Spectra II, III and IV all use the same connector, meaning the backboxes are probably interchangeable. You're probably seeing all these older cameras without the backboxes because someone is just pulling the old Spectra II cameras out and snapping new Spectra IVs in.
Sort of. Spectra III and Spectra IV back boxes and dome drives can be interchanged.

Not so with the Spectra II and the other two. Pelco located the electronics cooling fan in the back box in the Spectra II's but moved it to the dome drive in the Spectra III and IV series. If you put a Spectra II dome drive in a III or IV back box, you wind up with two fans but they are not positioned so that they "mate up" so the electronics will get insufficient cooling.

If you put a Spectra II dome drive in a III or IV back box, you wind up with no cooling fan for the electronics. Pelco added a ridge to the Spectra III and IV back box connectors that prevents the Spectra II dome drive from latching properly inside the back box without using excessive force to push it in.

BY the way, Sean, I got your email. I'll get back to you as soon as we have a bit of free time to get the inventory together, counted and inventoried.

Thanks, Carl.

Well, it IS a bunch of Spectra IIIs that Sean has, so I'd say it's a likely scenario, that they were upgraded to IVs by simply swapping the new cameras into the existing enclosures...

Thanks, Carl.

Well, it IS a bunch of Spectra IIIs that Sean has, so I'd say it's a likely scenario, that they were upgraded to IVs by simply swapping the new cameras into the existing enclosures...

Most likely.

Another possibility is that they are dead. Spectra III's had issues with the power supply boards. We have replaced a bunch in our Spectra III's. The boards were later redesigned to give better cooling to the parts.

No, that's the power supply PCB in the dome drive. The kit includes the base plate, fan, heat sink/ducting and PCB.

Part Number: DD53KIT

Description: Power Supply Kit, Pelco Spectra III

dd53kit_md-1.jpg