rnassar

Outdoor Camera Installation using Cat 5e cable

Hi

I want to install 4 Lorex cameras using Cat 5e cable with distances ~600ft using BNC passive baluns with video and power. Two of the cameras have a BNC end and the other two have a RJ11 end. I would like to know:

1. For the cameras with BNC termination, what power supply should I use in order to power both cameras?

2. For the RJ11 mini cameras, what power supply should I used in order to power both cameras?

3. For the RJ11 mini cameras, is there a way to use the bnc passive balun with the camera? Should I cut the RJ11 jack and connect the cable to a self-made BNC cable with power in order to connect it to the balun?

Can I use the power supply that came with the cameras for a 600ft distance or I will need a higher capacity power adapter? How many amps?

The power specs of the cameras are:

1. BNC Cameras:

Power requirement: 12VDC

2. RJ11 mini cameras:

Power requirement: DC 7.5 V - 115mA

This has trouble written all over it...

Those rj11 cameras will have trouble sending a picture 25ft... much less 600ft. Those cameras are bottom of the barrel, dollar store, could probaly buy blister pack of 10 for $50 at Costco.

That's fine if you only want to keep an eye on your dog while you're away...but an absolute joke if you're trying to protect anything of value.

Another guy on the forum put it well: equipment like that are just overpriced timestamps. You'll know exactly when you're car was broken into, but nothing else. Forgot vehicle or suspect description of any kind.

This has trouble written all over it...

Those rj11 cameras will have trouble sending a picture 25ft... much less 600ft. Those cameras are bottom of the barrel, dollar store, could probaly buy blister pack of 10 for $50 at Costco.

That's fine if you only want to keep an eye on your dog while you're away...but an absolute joke if you're trying to protect anything of value.

Another guy on the forum put it well: equipment like that are just overpriced timestamps. You'll know exactly when you're car was broken into, but nothing else. Forgot vehicle or suspect description of any kind.

Probably I will change the two mini cameras for better cameras...What about the BNC cameras? What power supply would I need in order to power them?

Thanks

you'll need to know the current requirements of your bnc cameras too, to help with calculation of voltage drop of 24 gauge cat5.

I assume you have no choice but to run camera power over this distance?

or you could use a voltage regulator at the camera end.

no easy answer I'm afraid.

See if you can get us the model of the bnc camera.

you'll need to know the current requirements of your bnc cameras too, to help with calculation of voltage drop of 24 gauge cat5.

It is a lorex camera 12V DC 250mA. The model # is MC6996.

At the end I will have:

3 x 12V DC 250mA cameras

1 x 7.5V DC 115mA camera

Hope this information helps.

At the end I will have:

3 x 12V DC 250mA cameras

1 x 7.5V DC 115mA camera

Hope this information helps.

you will drop 3-4 volts per pair of wire at 600 feet.

but if you use triple up 3 pair of cat 5 for power your voltage drop would be approx 1 Volt

Handy Calculator is here.

http://www.cat5videobaluns.com/voltage-loss-calculator.html

I would use a separate 12 V - 13.5V 500mA to 1A small Power supply for each camera though, if you are using passive baluns at each end.

I'd stay away from those RJ11 7.5V cameras. sell them and buy somehing else.

you will drop 3-4 volts per pair of wire at 600 feet.

but if you use triple up 3 pair of cat 5 for power your voltage drop would be approx 1 Volt

Handy Calculator is here.

http://www.cat5videobaluns.com/voltage-loss-calculator.html

I would use a separate 12 V - 13.5V 500mA to 1A small Power supply for each camera though, if you are using passive baluns at each end.

I'd stay away from those RJ11 7.5V cameras. sell them and buy somehing else.

Thanks bongofury.. I really appreciate your help. I will follow your recommendations. I'll let you know how it goes.