camerasguy71

Text inserter on pole dislay output via y cable

I'm using a self built avermedia 6480 32 channel NVR and want to capture 4 touch pro pos registers using the gerneric pole display outputs. I have the four Y adapters and a slew of the configure yourself db9 to rj45 connectors. I have done this many times before utlizing pin 5 & 3 and pin 5 & 2. I don't want to get super detailed as i know this is a public forum and this is my lively hood and I'm sure there are many of us here. I have tried all the combinations of null modem pinouts and and even a null modem adapter on all the variations . I have close to 30 hours into this anyone willing to help a fellow pro out? I have confirmed the dvr text insertion to be working this is definately a pin out issue. The most frustrating part is that i had one register up and running on the 1st test. I believe it was a lose connector that should have been unattached. I reseated all the connections and lost everything . I will get this figure out one way or another a life preserver sure would be nice about now.

www.nesecurity1.com

keithm@nesecurity1.com

610-417-8039

I don't want to get super detailed as i know this is a public forum and this is my lively hood and I'm sure there are many of us here.

The cat is already out of that bag - the topic of connecting POS setups has been discussed in detail here many times.

It should be pretty straightforward, no trade secrets here - on a DB9 connector, pin 2 receives data, pin 3 transmits, pin 5 is ground. If the POS has a DB9, you want to use pins 3 and 5. If you're capturing to a serial port on the DVR, use ports 2 and 5 - 3 to 2, 5 to 5.

After that, match up your comm settings - baud rate, data bits, parity and stop bits, and flow control options (I find disabling flow control usually works best, since pole displays don't generally us it) - should do the trick. You can test the output by firing up HyperTerm or a similar app (like PuTTY) on your computer, pointing it at the port you're connected to, and setting it "online" - you should see text coming into the terminal. That will confirm that the POS is sending properly.

Just one thing though... I'm not sure a Y-splitter is the most reliable method. If the terminals don't have a second set of outputs, you might look at something electronic to properly split the output... or use a text inserter that has parallel outputs so you can run from the POS, to the inserter/DVR, then back to the pole display.

Might be a stupid question, but... if you're running into the DVR, you ARE running into four separate serial ports, yes?

There is a pole dislay present and I have also tried without the pole display by going direct into the pole display output port. I have done this many times. For some odd reason in isn't working on this linux based system. I have been on the phone several times with touch pro and they reassure me its and off the shelf pole display with default communication at 9600 baud. . As far as reliability I have yet to see one stop working in the 3 plus years I have been doing this so I'm not buying into that reliablity issue on this application. Yes there are some situations where a box is required box this shouldn't be one of them. Any ideas this is crazy? With a pc based system I could just create another output. There is no empty ports on the linux pos and I'm told a usb to serial adapter will not work as they have not written drivers for one. I can hook into the printer and get that info not problem but that is just about worthless as this is a bar/liquor store. Anyone else run into something like this. PS I had it working with a full 8 in null modem cable with a couple of pins not fully inserted on the rj 45 adapter. I'm going to probally end u modifying one so I can pull the pins back out till I get what i had. It was working perfect by accident .

you'll get it yet!

too bad you have to do your testing at the customers site.

An RS-232 Breakout box may help. It could be a handshaking thing, on some NCR tills for instance, if I unplug pole display, the till freezes.

Take a look here as well.

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232-spy-monitor.html

Btw, does the Pole display stop working when you test data capture?

Frustrating as you say, because you know what you are doing.

I have a db9 serial port off the asus motherboardl that I'm using for testing. I have 2 models of mother boards I use for all my dvr builds so I know it works. 3 usb to serial convertors I have been using for years. I'm using a y cable at the pole display db9 port. Thanks for that web site I have tried every combo on there. Thank goodness the customer is really cool and he wants it to work even more than i do. Sometimes learning curves really suck.

At this point my case mounted nv-5000 with my 20 inch flat screen is about 3 ft from the pos register when testing. All said and done I will be about 100-150 ft from the dvr at the farest location. I'm using just the serial input on the mother board I have eliminated all variables. I can verify every thing is working by sending a printer test page from my laptop. l use usb to rs232 adatpters with the prolific chipset. They work flawless for me. I'm looking at breakout boxes as I type. Any one have suggestions as to what works best looks like they start at $40.00. It would be nice to tap in and see what activity is on each pin. Then I can be the total guru.

do let us know what you find out.

over 100' is too far by textbook standard on rs232, but i have done it and not had problems even with 24 gauge wire. but who knows?

bongo what are you doing at 100+ feet? Is there a way to use rs-485 or something even better? Never had a problem but i have some big facilities that I have not incorporated text insertion due to fear of it not working.

Yes all 4 of them are showing up on DVR. DVR will except generic test prints from a laptop on all 4 rj45 adaptors at register locations. Its a problem with interface at pole dislay. I dont understand it is so simple. Ground and signal I checked the pinout on the pole display db9 and even configured my connector to match with pins 7,8 and pins 1,4,6 tied together just like the pole dislay. Scratching my head.

Do away with the adapters and just wire them directly - pins 3 and 5 on the POS to pins 2 and 5 (respectively) on the DVR. The "sniffer" hookup from that link (with the diode and resistor) is probably a good idea rather than just parallel-splicing the wires.

Yes Tom rj45 to db9 self configured. I like the idea with the diode/resistor Soundy. Is there anyway that Im missing a connection here why is this not working???????? I'm just sniffing out the signal in this configuration.

soundy do you have a source for where i get these direct wire 9 pin female plugs? I found something with screw terminals but from china probally on the slow boat.

Yes Tom rj45 to db9 self configured. I like the idea with the diode/resistor Soundy. Is there anyway that Im missing a connection here why is this not working???????? I'm just sniffing out the signal in this configuration.

the adaptor you are using will only be detected in your device manager when connected. also you need to be away from com 1 /2/3 so i would set your coms in 15/16/17 area.

everyone seems to have problems with pos with the avermedias and its only because the avers have built in drivers for 1 make which is moxa. the moxa is self powered and will hold the com port asigned. and also to make it easy it also has data LEDs so you can see if it is picking up data.

2009020310075428.jpg

2009020316542868.jpg

What about the rs 485, where is that coming from? Source heading out to the local shack for diodes/resistors. I also have located some shells I used to make ruby system adaptors.

What about the rs 485, where is that coming from? Source heading out to the local shack for diodes/resistors. I also have located some shells I used to make ruby system adaptors.

Radio Shack should have all your DB9 connectors - male and female - as well.

We've been using fairly generic A-TEN USB-to-Serial adapters for both POS integration and PTZ output, and haven't had a single problem with them yet.

You could try using a laptop at the register location with another USB-232 adapter and hyperterminal, to feed test data back to the DVR.

Also, connecting to the register with Hyperterminal and the laptop will let you see if you are getting any data at all (garbage, or wrong baud rate or parity), or nothing at all.

That would help you eliminate other questions about your install, and narrow it down to odd output levels or data formats at the register output.

You might want to ask the manufacturer if the outputs are TTL level voltages (not truly RS232, but some manufacturers use this for short links), rather than the standard higher voltage output.

I'm like you, haven't had many problems using the standard T-tap approach, and at distances much further than recommended.... Hope you are able get it working!