Bart s

Portable surveillance trailer

Hi Everyone

Just in the design phase of building a portable trailer system for building site, event security etc

Was looking to use the ICU STN-0824 8 chan real time d1 recorder. But it appears to be a no namer. Looks to fit the bill with 8 alarm inputs full D1 recording on all channels etc. Would like to hear of anyones experiences with this unit.

Camera wise im looking towards the CNB line VBM-24VF looks likely or something in the bullet

equivalent. Along with a couple of IR lights and a 3G modem for connection to the outside world.

Only looking at putting 5 Cameras on a 25Ft mast 4 around the mast and one always looking over the trailer and maybe a PTZ later. May also put on some IR beams for triggering if the motion sensing of the DVR doesn't work out to be acceptable.

Would like to hear any comments improvements

Thanks

I think you're on a good start...

However, what is the main purpose of the trailer?

A: Archiving evidence for post event reviewing?

Or

B: Live monitoring for humans to decide what is an immediate threat and act upon it?

Answer these 2 questions and that should drastically change your system design and equipment selection...

A few of the CNB cams are OK... but don't let anyone tell you that any particular make/model is the best EVERYWHERE. That's either naieve or a salesman.

Hi Everyone

Just in the design phase of building a portable trailer system for building site, event security etc

if you are looking to rent your trailer out then you need to make shure you have no problems later. the dvr you have listed is no good for this type of work (software to view footage) is not a good idea and is slow.

also fixed cameras will limit you to the type of event work you get. most need ptz security

Its going to be a mix of A and B. For an alert to be sent to have the ability to be able to log in and have a look and see if it warrants further consideration. The only reason for the cnb cams is that they appear to give good bang for you buck and not overly expensive to replace should something unfortunate happen.

Yep that's the plan hire it out etc 1 PTZ a possibility but also had thoughts of 8 cams on the trailer 4 set in close and 4 set further out to provide better coverage. Have looked at megapixel but to expensive and night performance not the best.

When you say the dvr is slow I would like to record each channel at 15 fps remote viewing will be required at about 5-6 fps. I've looked around I had another in mind that I think didn't require any thing to be downloaded it just played in explorer etc

I'll dig up the model number

Using that CNB model number tells me you've been lurking around this forum for a while.

There's lots of ways to do this kind of job RIGHT... but I'm really not comfortable talking about it on a public site....

I've been there but have yet to do that. Mainly because it would be MY investment and only mine.... My baby... and I'd have to take care of it and make sure it didn't get stolen when she was out making money.

At this point, I just can't afford that large overhead, time and risk. Hopefully one day soon.

I dont know .. those domes may be difficult to mount on a pole .. they dont have any pole mounts and water can get inside if not sealed properly. Better off with their (or another brand) box cameras in a weatherproof housing .. or even a decent bullet but thats hard to find these days (KT&C have the N500 or N700 though I havent tested them, Samsung also have what looks like a decent one but expensive). also regarding those domes, you may be better off with something that you can change the settings to without having to get to the camera, the 24VF domes are not that .. the 34VF has it, or their Box cameras have it also, using a cat5 cable can remotely adjust the OSD features. But even might want a PTZ so able to adjust the lens depending on the job. Might even want a basic megapixel camera, at least for the day time? CNB even has an inexpensive 1.3MP box camera. Have to add the lens price to the box cameras though and an MP lens for the MP camera. Tamron has some F:1.0 3-8mm Aspherical IR lenses in both types.

If too bulky .. check out KT&C for some mini high res bullets.

Been lurkin around around on and off for about 12mths now.

Was going to build it with mobotix but at this stage just want to go with something reasonable that wont break the bank. Just to give it a try if not much interest then not much lost i guess. If it goes well MKII will see a vast improvement on specs.

So looks like the VBB-31VF x 5 is the go.

The pole will be made from square tube and going to make a "Head Piece" to mount everything onto will also aid in transport and will provide solid weather proof mounting.

So any better DVR recommendations for 8 Channel full D1 recording across all Channels ?

Is the DH-DVR0804HE-T a reasonable unit ?

So any better DVR recommendations for 8 Channel full D1 recording across all Channels ?

I havent used them but they claim D1 realtime every channel. I use the slim line and entry level unit (very small) and they work well but its 7fps D1 every channel (fine for most apps), good bang for buck especially as they are all basically budget DVRs anyway. No advanced search features though, just select a time and play or backup. Still better than most in that price range, a video example of the network software in my sig. Also they have mobile apps for almost everything and simple to get working on an Ipad. And they have an SDK downloadable on their site if you are into that. They are always updating the firmware and network software also which is nice as it fixes any bugs or brings in new features at least for the network software, good support so far also, I bypass the US distributor and go direct to Dahua in China.

Been lurkin around around on and off for about 12mths now.

Was going to build it with mobotix but at this stage just want to go with something reasonable that wont break the bank. Just to give it a try if not much interest then not much lost i guess. If it goes well MKII will see a vast improvement on specs.

So looks like the VBB-31VF x 5 is the go.

The pole will be made from square tube and going to make a "Head Piece" to mount everything onto will also aid in transport and will provide solid weather proof mounting.

we see lots of trailer temp units here in the uk and yes if done right they make good money. but you should never use fixed cameras (only to look over the trailer base you should use them)

lets say you use 5 VBB-31VF everytime you go to set your trailer up you will be up and down with your mast for hours getting it right. then someone will ask can you train a camera on something for a short time at an event oooops down comes your mast again. also at that hight you are not going to get a good range to get a face shot

and also when building mobile units less is best. using 5 cameras and a dvr you also have power problems.

you are not to far away with your idea of a mobotix camera. 1 Q24 external will cover far more than 5 CNB cameras and will also be much easier to power.

just while typing this i have come up with a good idea for a system

1 Q24 steel external

1 CNB 33x zoom PTZ

all mounted 25ft controlled by the new aver 1004 nano onto a wireless router and controll everything with a IPAD

That would be a simpler solution but primary usage will most probably be night time security work. The Q24 appears to have poor night performance and no IR filter.

Thats why I originally looked at 4 Mobo M12 day/night. But a bit to much of an investment for me if it goes to !#!#

Would be great for daytime stuff though and make things extra simple.

The footage from the Dahua looks good for the money. The software also looks streets ahead of the ICU STN-0824.

May just have to bite the bullet and fork out for some M12's and do it properly ???

The only thing with the M12's is the frame rate is crap @ 3Mega

Edited by Guest

M12's (Mobotix?) wont work with the Dahua DVRs.

IMO Dahua DVRs are more geared for cheap to middle of the line cameras anyway.

Now, the Dahua PSS Software does have support for IP cameras, dont know which ones (yet), but the DVRs do not.

Mobotix M12 is right but not for the Dahua.

M12's at a minimum are about $1400 each x 4 = $$$$$

Still thinking !!!!

how about 2 panaromic Megapixel cameras? 180x2 would cover all around.

Then 4 regular IR bullets for night time. Or motion lights for the MP cameras.

then just use a 4 channel entry level Dahua for 4 wide angle KT&C 500TVL color bullets for general overview?

CNB have a monalisa TDN IR bullet, 3.8-9.5mm, cheapest TDN in north America LOL .. going to try it out soon .. their last one sucked but this is the monalisa with OSD and has more features now for the same price.

What about Arecont AV8365DN not much info on the forum about these. But general consensus is not brilliant performance from Arecont at night or is it just the way some are set up ?

Frame rates not great either.

Shouldn't cause to much of a blind spot if a wall style bracket was used ? so the camera hung underneath of course.

Could just put another megapixel cam to cover it if it did i surpose.

What about Arecont AV8365DN not much info on the forum about these. But general consensus is not brilliant performance from Arecont at night or is it just the way some are set up ?

Frame rates not great either.

Shouldn't cause to much of a blind spot if a wall style bracket was used ? so the camera hung underneath of course.

Could just put another megapixel cam to cover it if it did i surpose.

I would go it the 180's over the 356. Frames rates are fine with the coverage from the camera 9 FPS.

I have already done this but from a different angle. Don't know if it would work for you, but will give you a few things to think about.

Possible Major differences.

1 Heat. We work between 0 and 55c

2 Remote power only (this really sticks up the price)

3 We always had connectivity back to servers (wireless 5km or less)

4 Always looking at mining equipment 400m~2km away

5 Security not an issue

Possible similarities

1 Large masts are problematic. Mast movement when looking distances. (note your IR triggers may have issues)

2 Counter weighting masts can make them dangerous, don't build a catapult.

3 Electrical regulations with earthing etc.

Issues

A DVR distributed NVR wouldn't work for us due to the heat, so we used Centralised NVR only. However you probably don't have the bandwidth back to your servers.

Power. If you need remote power get back to me. Gensets suck Solar is way better if you have sun but its expensive and weighs a lot, (batteries)

Long distance cameras.

If you use any long distance cameras then your PTZ housings are really inefficient from a power consumption perspective.

So if you’re concerned about any of these things drop me a line.

^Overall, great info! This one was my favorite though:

2 Counter weighting masts can make them dangerous, don't build a catapult.

Seriously,

I outsourced the first trailer I had built it had an 8m mast with two Pelco Esprit PTZ's on a crossbar. The mast was not telescopic with a hinge on the back of the trailer 2m above the ground. The whole thing looked really good, however the cameras needed to be removed to tow the trailer so the PTZ’s wouldn't get damaged. 30kg of cameras and PTZ, 8m mast 1.5m to counterweight, do the math. 30kg / 1.5 x 6.5 = 130kg counterweight around 3.5m behind the axle. So if someone took the trailer off the tow vehicle before fitting the cameras they would have to weigh in at 100kg to keep the draw bar down. Back one up to the crest of an open pit, disconnect from the Landcruiser and watch the thing throw itself down a 400m deep pit.

We had a procedure to stop this from occurring and it never did happen, but it was always on my mind that someone wouldn’t read the procedure. So I eliminated the problem altogether and built new trailers taking control of the design. No big issues as it had many other issues that I fixed in the next 3 versions of trailers. The other problems were mainly power capacity and safety related.