simonmiller

Choose a DVR?

Hi Everyone, My first post on the forum.

I'm looking at installing a CCTV system in my retail shop. I have looked around and have found about 3 different DVR systems/ Manufacturers

Pinetron

Dahua

TVT

My question is, witch one would you guys go for or is there other brands that is better.

What I need is the basic functions.

Indoor use only

Remote access

Company with ongoing development. (Upgrades on Firmware)

If this post is not clear or im not giving enough information. Please let me know.

Of those companies, Dahua is the only one that appears to provide firmware updates for their DVRs, but I couldn't guess how often they actually release new firmware.

One thing that you should consider in addition to continuing development on a platform is support. Only one of these companies provides contact information for technical support, and it's pretty clear that those emails are going to the home office in Korea.

If you are installing this DVR, are you comfortable enough with CCTV equipment to troubleshoot any issues without much help from the manufacturer?

Judging from the criteria that you listed, all of these companies meet 2 out of 3. How important is continuing development and support to you?

I'm also contemplating Dahua or TVT for future installs. Has anyone here used both and what do you think?

Thanks

Cant speak for the rest but I currently use Dahua, since end of last Summer. The PSS Network software has gone from 4.01 up to 4.04, basically 3 updates with a couple noticeable added features. Firmware has been updated twice, last time was around New Years.

I have posted on their online support form which is answered by one of their tech support reps, some info good some not so, but he has also emailed me back directly which was nice. I have basically bypassed the US distributor for support and gone straight to Dahua. As far as support from a DVR manufacturer goes, other than the old days of Kalatel (before GE bought them out) the support is the best I have seen, especially for such inexpensive products. Could it better, sure a real forum would be nice, but otherwise I have received answers to all my questions in a timely fashion, average 2-3 days max. (other than SDK related as the tech is not a developer).

Also Dahua is sold under various Brand names in the US such as Intellicam (GenX), XTS Video, Mace, even Q-see sells at least one model, and others.

They have software downloads right on their site including an SDK, and also support for almost every mobile device. They have 2 streams, a main and a sub, changing the main encoding settings affects the recording as well, the sub is used for mobile and other remote connections. Using the network software you can also do remote archiving or full blown Video Alarm Monitoring - I am actually ONLY recording to my computer's hard drive (across the local network) from my own 4-channel Dahua DVR as the old used HDD I was using to test it with died on me - additionally I have tested a couple remote sites for the Video Alarm Monitoring and off site archiving for several days, and it worked well.

They have network support for PC/Mac/Nix/IE/I-pad/I-phone/Symbian/Blackberry/Android/Windows mobile.

Hello,

I'm looking for a standalone dvr for my home and the dahua looks pretty good to me. I want to interface it with a home automation server. Does anyone know if theres a sdk available?

Also, where can I buy one in the states? all I see is China or India.

Thanks.

PS if anyone has any other recommendations for a good dvr to interface with a HA server please advise.

Hello,

I'm looking for a standalone dvr for my home and the dahua looks pretty good to me. I want to interface it with a home automation server. Does anyone know if theres a sdk available?

Also, where can I buy one in the states? all I see is China or India.

Thanks.

PS if anyone has any other recommendations for a good dvr to interface with a HA server please advise.

Hi you could try a guy on here called Bean00 pm him memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17001

and as far as the SDK rory have been working on the dahua

Yeah the SDK is available for download on Dahua's website.

Mace is Dahua's Super Distributor for the US.

Bean works for Mace so could help out also.

Its also sold by other brands such as Intellicam (GenIV)

Yeah the SDK is available for download on Dahua's website.

Mace is Dahua's Super Distributor for the US.

Bean works for Mace so could help out also.

Its also sold by other brands such as Intellicam (GenIV)

Ok, I got the Dahua 16 channel dvr finally. How are you making out with the sdk?? Any chance you're working on a C# driver?

Does anyone know if there is a C# driver already completed, or even started?

Ok, I got the Dahua 16 channel dvr finally. How are you making out with the sdk?? Any chance you're working on a C# driver?

Does anyone know if there is a C# driver already completed, or even started?

do you mean so you can work with it in C# as opposed to the C++ etc?

It comes with some fairly vague VB6 and Delphi example code. I use VB6 myself.

The calls to the API are pretty straight forward though.

If you can understand VB6 I can send you some examples of how I created my own functions, then maybe you could port that to C# (I dont know C myself).

BTW they also have a linux SDK, havent used it myself though.

Typically, the answer is that Dahua cameras generally are for residential and small business installation due to affordability. Conversely, Hikvision cameras are usually used in larger businesses and commercial operations.