techwell

Problem with night vision of my cctv.

hi, i just installed a 4 CCTV cameras in my store and its working fine during day. But a few seconds after i switch off the lights at night the images starts blinking(on n off) for some time or a horizontal light appears in the screen or vertical colored lines appear randomly. Sometimes the images can be seen steady but not clearly.

The problem is only with night vision of my IR cameras. What could be reason. Is it coz of faulty installation or any hardware issue. Please suggest.

I would suspect power issues - when the LEDs turn on, the cameras draw more power than the source can supply, and so they either drop out, or the LEDs turn off again... all sorts of funky things can happen.

Those are just guesses though; hard to say any more without at least SOME details of your system: camera make and model, power source, distance from cameras to power source... DVR make and model might be useful too.

And BTW, it's really only necessary to post a topic once.

sorry for posting twice.

i am a beginner in CCTV installations and can give only a few details right now. Using 1/3" Sony CCD 32 IR Cameras with CP PLUS 4 channel DVR. The cameras are powered by a single power supply.

Somehow i guessed the problem to be with the power supply and have just changed it. Can only know the result in the morning. And the maximum distance of the cameras form the power supply is 15mtrs.

Thanks.

Yeah depends on the cameras. Find out how much amps they draw .. then use a power supply that can handle that. Eg. if the cameras each consume 300ma with IR on, then make sure its at least a 1.5a power supply.

Hi,

As i told you i had changed the power supply and now the coloured lines have stopped but the night vision is clear only when i connect two cameras. But when i connect more than two 1 or 2 cameras will give me clear picture where as the other two will have a blurred picture. Also sometimes the picture keeps switching on and off. Now i have read in this forum that it is because of power supply. But i have used the same power supply elsewhere with 4 cameras and it is working fine. Why not here. As i told you the longest cable is 15mtrs.

Could it be the power outlet you are trying to connect to? I had a PC that wouldn't boot up at all until I moved it to a new outlet on a different power circuit. Perhaps you have too much running through that power circuit or there is a wiring issue that's keeping the necessary amount of power from reaching the outlet?

Is your 4 camera power supply connected to a battery backup system or uninterruptable power supply?

It was initially connected to UPS but then i tried with direct AC supply. But the problem persists.

what size is your power supply and how many amps is it. 15m should not give you any image problems so you need to look at other things like what cable are you using. did you make your own or did you use lead kits