Philip

Cabling question

Hi, I've got an Axis p3343 I want to mount under the soffit on the garage. I'm thinking I should run them POE and also want to connect to the io ports in the future. The run is about 80 ft, what should I use for cabling? Is there a bundled cable that will work?

Thanks!

Hi, I've got an Axis p3343 I want to mount under the soffit on the garage. I'm thinking I should run them POE and also want to connect to the io ports in the future. The run is about 80 ft, what should I use for cabling? Is there a bundled cable that will work?

Thanks!

Cat5 or Cat6 with RJ-45 ends. Either use a PoE switch, or a PoE injector to power the camera.

What do you have for I/O? Check your manual, can do you everything over Cat5?

I may want to use the io in the future, I was hoping to find a bundled cable with the cat5/6 and the additional wires for the io ports. I looked around a bit online but did not see what I need in one cable. I read somewhere the cat5/6 should be shielded.

I may want to use the io in the future, I was hoping to find a bundled cable with the cat5/6 and the additional wires for the io ports. I looked around a bit online but did not see what I need in one cable. I read somewhere the cat5/6 should be shielded.

Should just be able to run 2 CAT6, one for Ethernet/POE and the other for I/O

In my surveillance experience, you only really need shielding when nearing high voltage wire or nearing a lot of interference. Buy some good Belden cat6 cable.

Agreed, just run two wires next to each other. Cat* can be used for everything, PS/2 extensions, USB, vga, HDMI etc.

just run two wires next to each other.

+1.

Use a pair of Cat5 or Cat 6 cables. You could use 4 conductor alarm wire for the I/O, but no need to purchase two types of wire when one type will do. If you decide to add I/O in the future, just use the spare Cat cable.

Best,

Christopher