Soundy

WiFi router with PoE?

Anyone know of one? Not a router that can be POWERED by PoE (I've found a few of those), but one that can SUPPLY PoE?

Why not just hook up the router you need to a PoE switch?

So many kind of routers... ADSL, cable modem router, with WiFi, without WiFi, neutral routers, ... Not only would you need it with PoE, but also compatible with whatever use you need it for.

Because right now I have a WiFi router (WRT54G with DD-WRT) set up as a bridge point for three IP cameras (the cameras plug into the router, which links them wireless back to the network), one camera on a PoE injector and the others with their own power supplies... I'm trying to cut down the clutter and equipment count, so adding a PoE switch would sort of be a step sideways, not to mention a waste of all the ports on the router itself.

Ideally I'd be looking at something else I can flash with DD-WRT (wanting to get a WDS MESH going eventually), but for the moment I'm just hoping to find one that has PoE supply ports. I'll worry about bridging/WDS/etc. from there.

*facepalm*

It's not really feasible to check through everything on the supported devices list and check the specs on each one to see if it supports PoE, now is it?

That's completely backward to what I'm asking... all I want to know is if someone knows of any WiFi routers that can supply PoE power to devices. DD-WRT support would be NICE, but is not a requirement.

Since PoE sourcing will be the single hardest feature to find, it should be a small list, and since that is the "requirement" in this case, does it not make more sense to find anything that fits that list FIRST, and THEN worry about which ones fit into the "would be nice" category, instead of sorting through the thousands of "would be nice" results to find the few that match the "requirements"?

I'm basically looking for a car that I can attach a rocket engine to, and it would be nice if it came in red... and you're telling me to look at a list of cars that come in red first.

You have a PoE column on those devices. And right next to that one, there is a "Eth. port count" column. No that hard to check those that have PoE, and see if right next to it there is something like "2 LAN 1 WAN" or maybe more like "4 LAN 1 WAN" ... didn't take me more than 5 minutes to find a few dozens that have wan, 3+ lans with PoE, and DD-WRT support, which I undersdtand is what you are looking for.

Edit: Ok, WiFi is also a must, I didn't check that, but there is also a "Wireless" column.

Yeah, don't really have two spare days to sort through all that a column at a time... a Bing search would be about as effective. From a quick glance most of the PoE-capable routers I see are brands I've never even heard of.

802.11af spec designates that a device should show a particular load to a port to indicate that it's PoE-capable, at which point the switch turns on the power to that port.

This section describes how a switch (assuming it conforms to spec) detects a PoE device and applies power accordingly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Powering_devices

Specifically:

"If the PSE detects a resistance that is too high or too low (including a short circuit), no power is applied."

In other words, a short in the line should simply cause that one port to shut off power... not a big deal because a short in the line would probably cause that camera to drop off anyway.

And MindTwist, sorry if I seem a little snippy, but your suggestions basically amount to saying "www.justfuckinggoogleit.com" - I've already googled it, and every single hit so far has either been for routers that are powered from PoE, or instructions to hack a router to be powered from PoE. There may be ONE useful answer several pages along, but as with the DD-WRT.com link, I don't have several days to waste checking them all out.

No problem.

I know and have used Alix/PC-Engines, and one I saw on the list was one of those, but checking the specs now I see that those do not support PoE on the lan ports, but it means the router itself can be powered with PoE so that it doesn't need to use its own power supply, so I guess the column on that list must mean that to all the routers listed.

Looks like Korenix has something like what you are looking for here http://www.korenix.com/jetbox-selection-guide.htm with some flavor of embedded Linux and a mini-PCIe slot for a wireless card.

They also make a four port PoE PCI NIC here http://www.korenix.com/jetcard-PoE_Universal_PCI_Card-2215-overview.htm, apparently has 12-48 volt inverter on the card, probably what's in their combo routers.

Haven't checked on them, but they don't look cheap.....

Fortress has an 8 port POE switch built into their router, but it is only 10/100 and I can almost guarantee they are out of your budget. If you have an extra 4500 laying around let me know and I will hook you up.