BruceC

Will my VCR record a CCTV camera?

I have never owned any type of CCTV or IP camera, and was getting ready to buy an IP camera when I wondered whether I could just get an analog camera and use my Sony RDR-VX535 VCR to record its output? I realize the trend is now towards DVR recording, but I just wanted to play with VCR recording.

I am interested in using this low light camera with my VCR, but I am not sure if I can just plug it in and record or will I need additional hardware?:

[edit by mod - store link removed]

CCTV cameras simply output composite video (like the yellow RCA cable).

So as long as your VCR has a composite input, and can record that input (pretty much all can), then your good to go!

Thanks, I assumed that might be the case but I spent a lot of time looking for some information on the internet and did not find much. Everyone has moved to DVR so the technology isn't described in much detail that I could find. My VCR will handle the RCA yellow input as well as HDMI, i.Link and USB, but the manual only discusses hooking camcorders and digital cameras.

If you really want to use a VCR for a camera, you should consider getting a time lapse VCR which will take a 6 hour tape and expand it all the way up to 960 hours in some cases. You can get some used ones off of eBay for really cheap nowadays. We used to sell a ton of them but we dont get them anymore

If you really want to use a VCR for a camera, you should consider getting a time lapse VCR which will take a 6 hour tape and expand it all the way up to 960 hours in some cases. You can get some used ones off of eBay for really cheap nowadays. We used to sell a ton of them but we dont get them anymore

I have 2 new in stock

BTW they are 12 v

u want them ?

Time lapse VCR would be the way to go for sure, but I am just thinking about playing with VCR recording so I don't want to upgrade. I am curious what that low light Super Circuits camera will do at night, so I would probably only record for 8 hours or less. I have seen it used by amateur astronomers to record some interesting pictures.

I eventually want to install an IP camera at my home for security and am researching them. Before I go the IP route I thought I would see what analog cameras offered. I was curious whether you can do motion detection with analog? I am looking for an IP camera that will operate without a PC 24/7 and do motion detection and activate external IO.

BTW they are 12 v

Thats odd.

u want them ?

I appreciate the offer but I think the shipping costs would raise the price significantly

So anyway, Bruce.... short answer is, yes. Camera probably uses a BNC output, your VCR would use an RCA input, so you could use something like this with a standard RCA A/V cable:

ADAPTERRCAFemaletoBNCMaleCCStore-1.jpg

2010530151642704.jpg

Thanks, I may just try it. This morning I ran across this device that claims to make a standard VCR into a motion detection VCR:

http://www.farco.co.nz/wachit.html

Wachit VMD-19M

Video Motion Detector

"No Need for a Special Security VCR. Turns an ordinary home VCR or DVD recorder into an intelligent motion based real time security video event recorder."

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this? Given how cheap you can get a VCR today, it might make sense if it performs as advertised.

Interesting... looks like it should work... although I suspect it would be finicky and clunky in operation. Certainly not worth over $150 - I'm sure Sean could set you up with a used time-lapse unit for far less.

For the price of this thing and a standard VCR, you could get a very basic four-channel DVR and record four cameras instead of just one.

Yes, I think DVR is the way to go if I was serious about using analog. This system might make sense for someone who didn't want to upgrade an old VCR system.

I am just interested in comparing the capabilities of analog versus IP camera systems before I jump into IP. IP systems are still relatively expensive but I see they are picking up market share rapidly and maybe prices will come down a bit for the home user. I am still not sure if analog cameras have any benefit over IP?

Price RANGE, and simplicity, mainly.

The relative merits have been discussed here numerous times. Note that IP does not necessarily mean megapixel; there are some very cost-effective VGA IP cameras... just as there are some very expensive, but high quality analog cameras.

Mainly this gives you the flexibility of network connectivity vs. direct analog connection, and removes the need for capture hardware.

If you're planning to go to an IP setup eventually, you probably don't want to blow $150+ on something that's going to work so-so just to experiment with equipment that's effectively obsolete. Or at least... I wouldn't.

Yes, the selection would be driven by the application and cost. I am basically looking for something that will watch over my property at night and sound an alarm if it detects motion. Because I live out in the country with a very long driveway I can't rely on IR sensors because of wireless range problems. I am hoping a camera would be able to detect headlights in the night at much longer distances.

I have been focusing on brands of IP cameras, mainly Panasonic, that have external IO to trigger an alarm when they detect motion. A lot of IP cameras have nice network features that send emails, ftp, etc., but I only want one to wake me. So, if I can find a cheaper analog solution I can live without the connectivity

This is really not a good idea, unless you don't like sleep. Without a lot of fine tuning of the motion detection and masking (something that box won't do, it doesn't look like), all sorts of things could trigger an alarm, and you could end up with it going off several times a night.

Try looking at Optex' range of wireless IR sensors - they have up to a 2000' transmission range and adjustable detection areas, from close and wide to a narrow, long-range beam. http://www.optexamerica.com/productpage.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&id=38

This also has an output relay that can trigger a VCR to record; a proper time-lapse VCR will have alarm inputs for that, rather than using an IR blaster, like that box above.

It's not the cheapest solution, but it will be far more reliable than using motion detection to trigger an alarm.

Yes, I worry about false alarms, but when I say I live out in the country, I mean "out" in the country where there should be no lights on my private road at night, unless they are criminals. I am hoping that I could set the sensitivity of the cameras motion detection so that it won't be a problem. But, the worry of false alarms is one reason I haven't bought a camera yet.

I have already been looking at the Optex wireless with interest, but I am not sure if it is 2000 feet line of sight, which may be a problem. I live on the side of a fairly steep mountain and the area I want to monitor is not in line of sight, unless I get on top of my roof (where I would put a camera). The criminals know that and routinely park there.

But, there is another product that will probably work. Are you familiar with Dakota Alert? They have a sensor that reports to a base station using the public MURS frequency band which will transmit for miles:

http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/index.php?cPath=36_37

The only problem with it is there are a lot of deer around here and they would be constantly setting off the sensor, so more lost sleep. This would also be a problem with the Optex system. That is why I have been looking into cameras.

The problem with a camera with motion detection won't just be deer, but birds flying through the field of view, leaves blowing across... anything that a camera may detect as motion. Even at night, a light-colored bird under moonlight might trip it. To reduce issues, you'd need highly-tweakable motion detection (ie. defineable movement zones with varying sensitivity levels, motion masking), or better yet, video analytics. Several IP cameras have these features built-in, but they're not cheap.

What would probably be even better would be a beam detector, something that just projects a beam across the driveway and triggers if the beam is broken. Put low enough, it would probably not be disturbed by a deer's thin legs. Something like this: http://www.optexamerica.com/productpage.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&id=63

Of course, wireless range might be more of an issue there... might be worth asking Optex about that.

I share the same concerns as you about camera motion detection. I agree I would have to use masking to achieve best results and as you say that capability isn't always cheap in a stand alone camera. But, I have seen some reasonably priced software that will do masking, but then I am stuck with a PC running at night.

I am still in research mode on cameras and may not get one for motion detection, but I am so impressed with the IP camera capabilities I would like to have one to play with.

Thanks for mentioning the Optex beam detector. I will look into it further. I was looking at the FCC photos for the Optex unit and I noticed they do have an innovative antenna in their transmitter, so their claim of 2000 feet may be achievable.

Thanks for your help.

I share the same concerns as you about camera motion detection. I agree I would have to use masking to achieve best results and as you say that capability isn't always cheap in a stand alone camera. But, I have seen some reasonably priced software that will do masking, but then I am stuck with a PC running at night.

I am still in research mode on cameras and may not get one for motion detection, but I am so impressed with the IP camera capabilities I would like to have one to play with.

Thanks for mentioning the Optex beam detector. I will look into it further. I was looking at the FCC photos for the Optex unit and I noticed they do have an innovative antenna in their transmitter, so their claim of 2000 feet may be achievable.

Thanks for your help.

Hi BruceC. i would say looking at your requiments i would look at the smaller picture rarther than the bigger picture. just because your drive way is 2000ft does not mean you have to put your beams that far. i would use beams closer to your home this will also stop many restless nights with deer setting your beam off.

form an invisible optex square around your home and you are protected from every direction and not just from your driveway

Tom, this morning I got up and there was a deer 20 feet from the house eating my shrubs! So, they are not afraid of coming close to the house!

The reason I want to detect intruders so far from my home is because my aunt has a cabin down our driveway and the damn criminals have been casing it all winter as told by their tracks in the snow. I want to catch them there. The cabin is only used for recreation so no one is home there. If they are stupid enough to try to break into my home while I am here then I hope they have made their amends with God. I have a big paranoid, angry dog that is a good watcher. I also have an old hard wired security system at home that I haven't used since I got the dog.

Is the cabin BEFORE your house on the driveway, or PAST it?

I'd suggest a couple thing here...

One, a camera with proper recorder (not a home DVR) could be useful for evidence, especially to prove that they've been coming in repeatedly to scope the place. Let them come around a few times and don't do anything unless they actually try to break in, then you'll have more proof... plus, chasing them off without them actually doing anything illegal could have legal ramifications for YOU.

Two, how about just putting an alarm system in the cabin? Alarm goes off.... you release the hounds and grab your trusty blunderbuss Is there power in there? A basic alarm panel with siren and a couple door/window contacts would take very little draw and could probably run a long time on a car battery. A loud siren aimed toward your house would probably carry pretty well...

Tom, this morning I got up and there was a deer 20 feet from the house eating my shrubs! So, they are not afraid of coming close to the house!

The reason I want to detect intruders so far from my home is because my aunt has a cabin down our driveway and the damn criminals have been casing it all winter as told by their tracks in the snow. I want to catch them there. The cabin is only used for recreation so no one is home there. If they are stupid enough to try to break into my home while I am here then I hope they have made their amends with God. I have a big paranoid, angry dog that is a good watcher. I also have an old hard wired security system at home that I haven't used since I got the dog.

Hi BruceC. this is the problem with trying to sort things out on a forum. you never said the property you wanted to protect was at the end of your drive. why not put the protection on the cabin along with your camera. a camera on your home looking 2000ft to the cabin cant be done on a low budget

Is there cell reception? You may want to consider contacting a Videofied dealer.

Videofied is a video alarm system. It's not designed to record someone there. But instead, notify and verify that someone really is there.

The cameras are acting primarily as a PIR, with the video only to verify the event.

Low-res - cause you don't need more for what it is supposed to do.

Capable of emailing clips via GSM to upto 5 email address.

http://www.videofied.com

The wireless works very well, and it's all battery operated. It's not really that cheap, but it's cheaper than most of the solutions you need to cover your situation.

To All:

Sorry I didn't explain the problem in detail, but I was just trying to keep the subject from straying to far off CCTV topics. I have been researching this problem for several months and have seen most of the security options. I think the cheapest way to do it would be to put a camera on my roof, assuming that I wouldn't get frequent false alarms from motion detection.

Yes, I could put a system in the cabin and was considering putting in a wireless bridge to it so I could put the camera in there. But, I still need a system to wake me up and an email won't do. Maybe a very loud alarm would work, but I don't want to scare the burglars off. I want to be alerted so I can call the sheriff and have him catch them in the act. My neighbor who lives about a 1/4 mile away saw some head lights up there about 1:30 am a week ago and called the sheriff, who did come out. I have not talked with him to see what he found, but I have not seen any signs of trespass since. It will only be a matter of time though before the next gang comes along, so I am going to get something installed.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me and I have to say this forum is one of the best I have been on concerning these matters. I think I will probably start with a camera and see if it works. If it doesn't, I will just move it to my front door area and then try a system like Optex.

Is there cell reception? You may want to consider contacting a Videofied dealer.

Bean00: Yes there is cell service here, but I don't use it. The Videofied system looks really interesting but probably out of my price range.

I have looked at a lot of the GSM alarm systems, but I would be stuck paying for a cell service that I wouldn't really use. A lot of the IP cameras these days will allow you to view what the camera sees in real time over an iPhone or Android type device, and some will send text messages to cell phones. If I didn't have to commit to a cell phone plan I would be more interested in a GSM alarm system.