Someone was going to post a BNC crimping guide, but I haven't seen it posted.

If you know of a good one, please post the link here!

Twist-ons?...another job we have to fix!

I heard only amateurs use twist-ons

thats just a myth, we pros use them also.

solder it one time if you really want it to stay connected

I used to use twist-on's all of the time. I hired two new tech who refused to use them. "They're not for profesionals," they said. Within the next 10 days I had two service calls related to the twist-on. The first the center wire did not seat properly, after removing it I found a perfect "Z" bend. The wire touched the center pin initially, but after time it lost continuity. The other was where the wire was held by the fingers so tight that it actually twisted the wire in two. I've used three piece crimp's ever since.

I just got a batch of compression BNC's. They appear very promising. The wire slips in the center pin fingers without twisting. The compression fitting is one piece. A quick squeeze on the compression tool and the fitting tightens on the coax. It appears to have the holding power of a twist on with the integrety of a crimp.

Twist-ons?...another job we have to fix!

I heard only amateurs use twist-ons

thats just a myth, we pros use them also.

solder it one time if you really want it to stay connected

Rory i think you were the one that mentioned the guide.

Do you still have that link?

Id like to try the Compression ones, but the crimp ons dont seem to be much better than a twist on, every job ive come across that had crimp ons, they come right off ! The ones that say that twist ons are for amateurs, simply dont know how to put them on properly Works both ways yah see. Ofcourse also depends what you are doing with the camera ... well solder it already

Rory i think you were the one that mentioned the guide.

Do you still have that link?

Dunno, check with howard

I havent used my crimp tool in a couple years, though i may use it on the 32 camera job ill be doing, just for kicks .. or if I can get the compression tool even better ...

My experience is that a twist on cannot be pulled off if installed properly. (I've challege hundreds of people at trade shows to pull one off) The problem is the unrealiability of the center pin connection.

For crimps to work well, we need a good quality connector that is designed to fit the guage of the specific wire we are using WITH THE CORRECT DIES for the wire we are using. A generic "one size fits all" crimping tool is unrealiable.

My tech's went out yesterday with the new compression connectors. I'll post our results after I get their feedback.

I haven't used a twist-on or crimp since 2001.

So there are basically three types?

Twist-on

Crimp

Compression

Is this correct?

For crimps to work well, we need a good quality connector that is designed to fit the guage of the specific wire we are using WITH THE CORRECT DIES for the wire we are using. A generic "one size fits all" crimping tool is unrealiable.

Exactly. I can’t seem to be able to find BNC connectors sized for the West Penn siamese wire I’m using. The coax portion is RG-59, but the outer jacket is much thinner than standard sized RG-59 coax.

kaysadeya, try a plenum cable connector. Plenum cable is usually teflon jacket rather than pvc and is a little bit smaller.

FYI for everyone, Connectors Plus in Boynton Beach, Fla www.connectorsplusinc.com

has a three piece crimp with both a standard and plenum ferrule in the same package SB-105U

They also have the compression connectors and tool. Very nice people to do business with. They are wholesale only so be prepared to prove you're a member of the trade.

Tellum Howard sent ya.

If you are new to crimping, stay away from 3 piece, it takes alot of practice. I worked for a company that only allowed me to use 3 piece crimps for jumpers in the head end (in the field 2 piece). Took a long time to terminate 6 DVR's in a job I was running.

Just use a 2 piece #10 or #2 BNC's.

They make great connections, but I rather use wire nuts (which, not funny, I have seen). Damn Union Electricians.

ha ha ha .. i actually have my cameras here, taped LOL

Ran out of BNCs yah know .. but no wouldnt do that to a client ..

hey in a waether sealed gang box it lasted through several hurricanes last year .. must have done something right ..

Compresiion Rules! Connections are like Factory and quality is great indoor and outdoor. Looks good and works every time.