Soundy

New GV rant (just venting)

Wow, reading completely pwns these guys. Check this:

Buddy of mine had a dead GV DVR out of a customer's site... he posted the card on eBay to sell it off (had no need of it)... GV flagged it as counterfeit (it IS legit!) and had the ad pulled and the account suspended.

So he emailed them the serial number and a photo of the card with a request to straighten the matter out... their response:

Dear Sir,

From your eBay listed item, your namely GV series is counterfeited, however, your attached item is genuine product. Therefore, we suggest that you should purchase genuine product from our authorized distributor thereafter.

You can contact sales@usavisionsys.com for more information.

Best regards,

GeoVision Legal Team

Umm... what?

Does anyone at GV comprehend English?

LOL

Im surprised he even got an email from them, Ive emailed them in the past and had no response.

Wow, reading completely pwns these guys. Check this:

Buddy of mine had a dead GV DVR out of a customer's site... he posted the card on eBay to sell it off (had no need of it)... GV flagged it as counterfeit (it IS legit!) and had the ad pulled and the account suspended.

So he emailed them the serial number and a photo of the card with a request to straighten the matter out... their response:

Dear Sir,

From your eBay listed item, your namely GV series is counterfeited, however, your attached item is genuine product. Therefore, we suggest that you should purchase genuine product from our authorized distributor thereafter.

You can contact sales@usavisionsys.com for more information.

Best regards,

GeoVision Legal Team

Umm... what?

Does anyone at GV comprehend English?

You have to Congratulate GV for wanting to remove LEGIT and counterfeit cards from getting into anybodys hands

All this brings up a good question. What would it take for Geo to not be infested with their stupid piracy issues?

What makes them so much different than say Nvidia or AMD when it comes to video cards?

I don't see Nvidia or AMD worrying about people pirating their cards. Why is piracy so prevelant with Geo and when will it ever end?

I think its too hard to duplicate a nice video card.

Chips & circuits on GV cards (and all DVR cards for that matter) are somewhat simple, with chips that can be sourced fairly easily.

“GV flagged it as counterfeit (it IS legit!) and had the ad pulled and the account suspended. “

What happened with his Ebay account, did he get it reinstated.

I think its too hard to duplicate a nice video card.

Chips & circuits on GV cards (and all DVR cards for that matter) are somewhat simple, with chips that can be sourced fairly easily.

ATI (AMD) makes dvr cards, but they don't seem to get pirated. So if Geo made a 'nice' dvr card, it wouldn't get pirated as much?

It's not the card the pirates are interested in (at least not directly); it's the software.

It's easy to obtain the Geovision software (lots of places you can download it, including direct from GV by merely supplying the barcode number off a legit card). However, GV software will only work with GV-branded cards (branding coded in the hardware/firmware). So if you want to use the software, you either need to use a legit card... or a cloned card with hacked firmware, hacked drivers, and possibly hacked software.

VideoInsight worked on a similar model when they still did analog: the software was readily available for free download, but again, would only work with manufacturer-provided cards. Neither VI nor GV require registration keys to install and work.

As an example: some Vigil systems use the identical hardware as VideoInsight - I once swapped a VI "V60" card into a Vigil system to replace a dying "HiCap50B" card, and the DVR kept on running as if nothing had changed. I've also tried putting the matching Vigil card into a VI server, and VI tells me there's no supported card found.

Vigil will simply work with any supported hardware; it's not keyed to 3xLogic-provided hardware. The software is also freely downloadable, BUT, it will only run for 30 days, and then requires registration keys (separate keys for each different module they charge for).

Both models are simply designed to ensure you pay the software maker for their effort, one by requiring registration keys, the other by ensuring the software will only work with the hardware they sell you.

The main reason pirating GV is so common, I think, is just because they're well-known, so it's easier to sell a pirated GV system than something nobody has heard of. And it would appear, their key-to-hardware scheme is relatively easy to crack.

ATI/AMD, on the other hand? Until right now, I never knew they made (or repackaged?) DVR cards. Never seen one, that I know of. What software do they run? If nobody knows or cares about the software, then there's no profit in pirating the cards.

ATI/AMD, on the other hand? Until right now, I never knew they made (or repackaged?) DVR cards. Never seen one, that I know of. What software do they run? If nobody knows or cares about the software, then there's no profit in pirating the cards.

ATI has had the TV wonder DVR for many years now. Not sure if they still make it or not:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306020&cm_re=ati_dvr-_-15-306-020-_-Product

Most of them have been limited to only 1 channel however.

I have three All-in-Wonder cards... it doesn't really count as a "DVR" card (by our definition of "DVR", relative to this forum), because it's not designed for surveillance use. The bundled PVR software is intended to record TV shows and the like; it's not designed for surveillance-type recording, nor does it have most the "required" features or functions.

I have three All-in-Wonder cards... it doesn't really count as a "DVR" card (by our definition of "DVR", relative to this forum), because it's not designed for surveillance use. The bundled PVR software is intended to record TV shows and the like; it's not designed for surveillance-type recording, nor does it have most the "required" features or functions.

True, but it can be used with many third party single cam surveillance packages on the market. It's definately not in GV's range, but it is a dvr solution that doesn't get pirated. There must be something Geo can do to cut down on the piracy issues they are plagued with.

True, but it can be used with many third party single cam surveillance packages on the market. It's definately not in GV's range, but it is a dvr solution that doesn't get pirated. There must be something Geo can do to cut down on the piracy issues they are plagued with.

It was a while back but I got I think it was a GV800 to work witk generic drivers and had it up under Luxriot, but only 1 channel worked.

True, but it can be used with many third party single cam surveillance packages on the market. It's definately not in GV's range, but it is a dvr solution that doesn't get pirated.

Easy: there's no profit in it. The cards are cheap, the software is limited, and next to nobody actually uses it for this purpose. It's not worth the effort.

zoneminder supports gv800 16channel now. And i don't think it cares what firmware is on the card. never tried it though.