dave c

System design - long run options

I'm working on planning my CCTV system for our house. For a bit of background: I am a total DIY'er so I tend to read and learn as much as I can and then figure out the best course of action. I am also comfortable with computers and electronics having built a couple PCs and done scads of wiring and little electronics projects.

Our house will be set into 12+ acres of woods and is pretty hidden from the road. This presents a huge opportunity for nefarious individuals to create mischief. I want cameras covering the key areas, and will tie that into alarm and mobile alerts, as it makes sense. I've read a lot here and on a few other forums, so I understand the basic points of having the right resolution and lens size for getting the details you want at the range/target in question, and also for using the obvious choke points to funnel traffic to the cameras for good face and license plate shots. But of course there is much experience/knowledge with CCTV that I do not have, so here I am...

Towards this, I am looking to put cameras into the entry from the street. There will probably be a Simple pillar used for lighting on each side of the drive entry and I am thinking that it makes sense to put cameras that point both in and out there (hidden in the pillar). The problem is that this is at least 300' from the house, and more likely 400'+ to the network hub room. That means if I want to use IP cameras down at the entry for best resolution, I am outside the distance limit for ethernet. Since I suspect it will be pushing 300'+ to even get to the first possible structure where I could add a switch/hub/repeater to extend the range, I am thinking I have a problem in making this reach.

I am looking for options. I can think of 2 -

1. Use analog and figure out how to make the signal stretch that distance (I am less familiar with analog CCTV specs than IP)

2. Figure there is wiggle room built into the Ethernet spec and you can go over 300' safely, especially if you watch sources of interference carefully.

Or maybe #3, put a monument or something outside along the path with a repeater that will somehow handle the cold environment (Mpls -St Paul area) and stay dry.

What advice does the forum have on this situation?

Thanks for your help!

-Dave

I wouldn't try and push the Ethernet limit. What would end up happening is your speed would go down more and more the farther you go, this may be OK for a bit, but another 200M will probably be too much.

What I would use: Analog signals can easily make it to your house (and further) if you transmit them on cat5e cable, with baluns at each end. You would be transmitting the analog signal over a pair of wires in the cat5e cable. Passive baluns may be fine, maybe go with an active balun at the receiving end. The great thing about using cat5e is that the other pairs can still be used for other things, like maybe 24VAC for camera power (may not be possible at this distance) or maybe data (for a PTZ/remote settings changing).

You can run this cat5e in conduit, or buy direct-burial (more expensive) and shove it right into a trench!

Normal coaxial cable (RG59) won't make it there.

Having a good choke point at the beginning of your driveway is awesome! Cameras with a nice tight lens (and proper filter) can capture plates well. Make sure you have a normal camera for vehicle details too.

With the length of your driveway, I don't think anyone looking for trouble will be coming to your house. Has been my experience that they won't try and drive all the way to a house which they can't escape easily from. If you put up a gate, and maybe a no-trespassing sign/cctv warning sign, it only gets better.

It's funny... analog over coax is limited in distance, but you can extend it substantially using UTP... at the same time, network over UTP is limited in distance, BUT... you can extend it substantially using coax

This for example, will let you run network up to 1.2km over standard coax.

Or, this will extend your UTP network to 1.2km

There are a number of other brands as well...

Aha - there are range extenders available! Something I was not aware of. Yes, I would think that one or two of those would be all I need to make the run. That is good as I believe I can now stick with IP cameras for the improved resolution. I don't have too ridiculously far to go, so one of those IP boosters should do the job. I plan to use conduit for all these runs so I have accessibility for future changes/repairs so I can pull any combination of Cat5e/6/RG59/RG6/etc... And run power in a separate conduit separated by a foot or so. Thank you, Gentlemen!

As for the issue of crooks not wanting to get boxed in, that would be nice but I am more concerned that they can operate without anyone seeing anything, once they head up the driveway. If they scope it out ahead of time, they could have a field day. Putting in a gate is not in the cards. So I want to be able to get initial photos/video before they realize they are on camera and then perhaps warn them so they may think twice about proceeding further. Being isolated has it's pluses and minuses...

Thanks again!

Dave

The actual ethernet limitation is 100m or 328ft.

Can you push this? Sometimes

Do I recommend trying? No

Soundy, they also make IP over UTP convertors that work at around the same distances as the coax ones and only require a pair(basically a IP to Coax converter with built in Balun). But yeah, I thought it was pretty funny too.

Soundy, they also make IP over UTP convertors that work at around the same distances as the coax ones and only require a pair(basically a IP to Coax converter with built in Balun). But yeah, I thought it was pretty funny too.

Yeah, my second link points to GEM's version of this.

All great to know. Now I have a pretty good idea what my options and limitations are with the wiring.

Thanks again! " title="Applause" />

-Dave

Yeah, my second link points to GEM's version of this.

Didn't see that.

Netsys makes the NVF-200POEKIT Ethernet extender, it will provide data+PoE over a single twisted pair, full 15.4 watt and 25Mbps at 1640 Feet, lower rates and wattage to 3280 feet.

I haven't tried that specific model, but have used quite a few of their other extenders, and been happy with them.

I have used their 8 port extender switch and remote modules at several locations (apartments, ranches) that had a lot of existing telco wiring in place, to get IP camera systems installed with very reduced labor.

*********Edit*********

Also remembered the Veracity Outreach, it will repeat a single data+PoE line an additional 300', if you install it at a midpoint.