Anyone have experience with this camera? It seems like about the best quality choice on ZoneMinder's hardware compatibility list, but the videos and images on Axis' website pretty much suck.

I'm most worried about night performance, as Axis doesn't seem to be the best at this. Any experience? I'd rather have 5MP. Any hope for this?

I notice their Mobile Monitor software only seems to run on freakin' Winduhs Mobile. Any prospect for an Android version?

Limiting your camera selection to a freeware VMS compatability doesn't sound like a good idea to me... Especially with a camera in the $1500 (msrp) range.

Also, don't expect great, up to date things from an IP camera's interface. Use decent VMS software to view that camera on nearly any device you want. Leave the camera making to the camera makers and the software making to the software makers.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Please have a little respect for the research and thought I've put into this. If you can't understand the direction I'm in, don't worry about it.

Anyone know about this Axis camera?

What about the respect for people who do this for a living?

What do you do? I bet you have a lot more experience in whatever it is than I do.

We're only trying to help... Research and Google only can get one so far.

I like to share my experience for the common good. With in reason, of course. I don't want to eduate others out of my own job and passion.

When did I disrespect you? If your doing this as a hobby and your main goal is a "open" solution go for it. If you want a reliable security solution I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

Actually this is not a hobby. No, I am not getting into the security camera business, I own properties. Rest assured, I am not "shooting my self if the foot".

My citation of ZoneMinder may not be for the reasons you think.

All I am asking for here is information on the camera. Hopefully someone can assist.

Ok so what is your question? Does Axis have good low light? answer is NO. If you want good low light look at the Arecont 3135, Mobotix m12, Also might want to take a look at the Vivotek Supreme cameras.

To my point of "shooting your self in the foot" if your limiting your camera selection to what ZoneMinder supports you are limiting yourself. Hopefully Zoneminder supports the cameras listed above. Otherwise good luck.

Does Axis have good low light? answer is NO.

Well that's disappointing. They do so many things right.

If you want good low light look at the Arecont 3135, Mobotix m12,

I don't understand those Arecont cameras. What are you supposed to do for them outdoors? Is there a special mini case. or do they fit in a dome?

Anyway, thanks.

Ugh, a 16" housing for a 2.25" camera. Nonstarter.

Axis' low light is .08 lux, eight times worse than the better ones.

Mobotix is $1,400.

Seems I don't have any options. In the Olden Days we'd have at least one option for everything, back before we became an unregulated right-wing Corporatist Oligopoly.

Anyone have experience with this camera? It seems like about the best quality choice on ZoneMinder's hardware compatibility list, but the videos and images on Axis' website pretty much suck.

I'm most worried about night performance, as Axis doesn't seem to be the best at this. Any experience?

I own a P3344 - not the same as yours, of course, but similar. It's low-light performance is OK as long as nothing is moving; in order to get a nice, low-noise image it uses a shutter speed of about 1/6th second. At that speed, moving objects are an unrecognizable blur. Forcing the shutter speed to 1/30th or faster reduces the blur but significantly increases the noise in the image.

FWIW, I also own a Vivotek IP8332 - same resolution (1280x800) in a bullet form factor at less than half the price. The Axis has a very slight edge in terms of picture quality, but it's definitely not $600 better. OTOH the Axis has a varifocal lens and remote focus and zoom which are both extremely handy, but still not worth the additional cost to me.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought two of the Vivoteks and passed on the Axis.

I think ZoneMinder can use most any IP camera. Just give it the URL of the camera that spits out jpegs and your good to go. There is a video on Youtube about how to get the URL and do this. Not sure where.

BTW I use ZM too, has worked fine for me. I am only using analog cameras. Not sure what makes it a 'non-reliable security solution'. Has almost all the same functions as other stuff. Does the same things reliably. Setting it up in the first place is the hard part. I'm not a Linux native.

Here's where you set up a new camera:

wkn42f-1.jpg

Care if I again ask what's the application? You seem to have it all figured out, but I'm just curious...

Office buildings, in and out. Test bed in my 50' driveway.

Arecont also makes a dome enclosure for their cameras:

http://arecontvision.com/4inch-dome.html

Interesting. On the cam page it says domes are indoor only. Thanks for the info. It's ridiculous that Axis doesn't have better low-light performance.

Adam I'm not clear why certain cameras are not compatible with ZM, because there is simply not enough info available in the time I have to dedicate to this. I suspect that the URL is basically a web interface, which denies many of the special features of a camera maybe like remote zoom, auto-iris, etc.

Is ZM -only- compatible with cameras that have a web interface? Surely Exacq can manipulate some cameras at a more hardware level, to reach extended features?

I am not an expert and do not pretend to be, but am open to information. (... directed to the person who said I don't know what I'm talking about... no ****. I am a developer, not a security camera technician)

Care if I again ask what's the application? You seem to have it all figured out, but I'm just curious...

Interesting. On the cam page it says domes are indoor only. Thanks for the info. It's ridiculous that Axis doesn't have better low-light performance.

Adam I'm not clear why certain cameras are not compatible with ZM, because there is simply not enough info available in the time I have to dedicate to this. I suspect that the URL is basically a web interface, which denies many of the special features of a camera maybe like remote zoom, auto-iris, etc.

Is ZM -only- compatible with cameras that have a web interface? Surely Exacq can manipulate some cameras at a more hardware level, to reach extended features?

I am not an expert and do not pretend to be, but am open to information. (... directed to the person who said I don't know what I'm talking about... no ****. I am a developer, not a security camera technician)

The reason Zoneminder doesn't support a huge list of manufacturers cameras is:

• Untill recently, there was no standard for IP Video
  • No one is pushing it into a job that needs to work with a specific camera so no urgency to get integration done.
  • No drive from Dealers(who don't use it for the most part) to get it working with their favorite cameras.

Zoneminder could triple their compatibility by integrating ONVIF.

The reason Zoneminder doesn't support a huge list of manufacturers cameras is:

• Untill recently, there was no standard for IP Video
  • No one is pushing it into a job that needs to work with a specific camera so no urgency to get integration done.
  • No drive from Dealers(who don't use it for the most part) to get it working with their favorite cameras.

Zoneminder could triple their compatibility by integrating ONVIF.

ONVIF has a LONG way to go before it works as advertised. I have multiple ONVIF cameras and ONVIF VMS and NONE if them work together.

Understand, Chris. I guess ONVIF is complex and would require alot of dedication by people who probably can't afford the cameras that use it. Maybe in time...

And thankz for the skooling bpzle! {turnz hat sid3ways} Thatz why I cam3 here...

Meanwhile it is time to make a decision after agonizing over this for a month, so I bought this M12. Weird looking beast, but the Germans have gotten a alot right. I have the option of using ZM or their software (Linux), and as the camera does all the motion detection and video processing it amounts to a distributed system, nice since my server is an Atom. Wonder what Sawbones or Adam would think...

ONVIF has a LONG way to go before it works as advertised. I have multiple ONVIF cameras and ONVIF VMS and NONE if them work together.

Well two issues with ONVIF currently:

a) You have a number of companies that only partially integrate ONVIF and then it only works sometimes. Any company that can display ONVIF compliancy documents should work just fine - and it's easy to test.

b) Until the recent release of ONVIF 2.0 only Video/Audio was supported. No I/O or additional features.

I know we are ONVIF compliant and have tested with three ONVIF compliant VMS companies and work just fine.

Well two issues with ONVIF currently:

a) You have a number of companies that only partially integrate ONVIF and then it only works sometimes. Any company that can display ONVIF compliancy documents should work just fine - and it's easy to test.

b) Until the recent release of ONVIF 2.0 only Video/Audio was supported. No I/O or additional features.

I know we are ONVIF compliant and have tested with three ONVIF compliant VMS companies and work just fine.

Sorry I don't believe it till I see it.

Understand, Chris. I guess ONVIF is complex and would require alot of dedication by people who probably can't afford the cameras that use it. Maybe in time...

And thankz for the skooling bpzle! {turnz hat sid3ways} Thatz why I cam3 here...

Meanwhile it is time to make a decision after agonizing over this for a month, so I bought this M12. Weird looking beast, but the Germans have gotten a alot right. I have the option of using ZM or their software (Linux), and as the camera does all the motion detection and video processing it amounts to a distributed system, nice since my server is an Atom. Wonder what Sawbones or Adam would think...

Mobotix is a great product. I think it will be a good fit for you.