sjmaye

Panasonic WV-CP480

Ok so it's a newbie question.

Based on a recommendation in a previous post I am going to purchase a Panasonic WV-CP480 camera to trial in our parking lot.

Be gentle here guys- Aside from finding the right focal length, what do I need to be looking for in a lens?

Does it have to be some dedicated lens from Panasonic?

A special mount?

Special connections?

Not sure, but when you get it hooked up, I would definitely like to see some sample clips if possible while sunny and overcast. We have the WV-CP474, and I believe a WV-LZA61/2 Auto-Iris Vari-focal 3.8-8mm Lens.

Thanks for the reply G22. I would be glad to post some clips. Just all new to me.

Tell me, do lenses for the cameras have to come from Panasonic? i.e. are the designed specifically for this camera? I guess I just don't know what I need to order with the exception of the focal length.

I got some real good info from Cooperman and rory in previous posts. I will do some more hunting and pecking.

I am not sure if Panasonic lenses are needed or not. I like Pan cams myself and the reputation in general, so I automatically went with one of their lenses. Someone will come along and confirm it though.

The only thing I do not like with our 474 (same with the 480 series no doubt) is that I have to keep going outside with my laptop connected via WiFi to the DVR in order to access and change the camera settings (which seem to be very plentiful and not for the average user with Panasonic cams like these). The only other way (and most convenient) is to have Panasonic hardware with PS-DATA capabilities. I believe what is needed is something like a Panasonic Matrix Switcher, Data Multiplexer, or DVR + a controller like the WV-CU360C.

You don't need a Panasonic lens. I'd suggest looking at the Computar line of lenses since they are of excellent quality and are less expensive.

Tamron is also a good alternative. All auto iris lenses are wired with Panasonic plugs now since that is the de facto standard in the industry.

Pano and Bosch have that but you have to use their gear to get it to work, otherwise you are just doing it like how all of us do ... well I uses a monitor not the lan, but I guess that is one way

Of all the specs you guys have told me to look for I think this model has them, except I see no mention of a mechanical IR cut filter.

Anyone know if this Panny has one?

I use Tamron IR sensitive lenses. They work excellent with Day night cameras.

Good choice on this cameras. We used Tokina lenses with IR cut filters and we did not see any visible difference, except paid more for those lenses... I'd suggest stay with Computar lenses with AI capability... The camera does the rest...

We used Tokina lenses with IR cut filters... The camera does the rest...

Don't laugh too hard here. I thought the IR cut filter was part/function of the camera, bot the lens. Live and learn.

I'd suggest stay with Computar lenses with AI capability... The camera does the rest...

AI meaning autoiris? I guess I am a bit confused here. Based on a previous post from Cooperman I thought it was better to stay away from autoirises and try to stay away from pointing the camera toward direct sunlight.

I think what I am getting is that with the exception of the mount any lens will work with this camera. In fact, this camera will handle both C and CS mount. I read somewhere that C is the preferred lens? If I do go with AI I understand that the defacto standard plug is Panasonic so that should not be a problem.

On Computar's site for Autoiris Lens Chart it shows 1/3", 1/2", 2/3", and 1". What does it mean?

CS is the preferred and most used Lens. 1/3" is all you need, 1/2" if you can afford it but i never noticed any real improvement. IR Cut Filter is a function of the camera. Avoid pointing the camera to the east and west if possible. Auto Iris responds to changing light faster.

IR Cut Filter is a function of the camera.

I thought I read through the specs on this camera pretty clearly and did not see that it had the IR cut filter. Do you know if it does?

IR filter is "built" into the camera and from their papers stand point, it will work better with IR lenses. However, you will not notice much of any different in type of Lens that has a IR filter vs. the ones that do not.

You should consider using a lens with AutoIris capability built in. This feature is also built into this camera, however providing AutoIris lens will improve the overall picture quality.

Another note: because Panasonic suggests using their lenses is not necesseraly that you will get better performance. The most popular lenses are from Computar and they work well. You have a choice from others, i.e. Kowa, Tokina and many others, but you get best performance on the lens the money can buy using Computar.

From cost stand point, well Panasonic will be the highest cost. We had a shoot out on performance in a very harsh environments between Panasonic, Sanyo, American Dynamics, Pelco, GE and Bosch and Panasonic actually came in second overall picture quality and performance... But for the price, Panasonic should be holding the last place... Bosch came in the first place and Sanyo the third....

Levon

We had a shoot out on performance in a very harsh environments

Levon

Was this shootout posted in this forum? Can you point me to it?

Thanks.

Confused yet sjmaye ?

The technique I suggested for your (car park?) application was based on adequate night lighting, using manual iris lenses on the camera with Electronic Iris enabled. I've no experience of using the Panasonic, but I would expect the EI speed to go up to at least 1/50,000th second, which should be adequate in your location.

Try and use a reputable lens manufacturers products; Computar has been suggested amongst others, although I would certainly recommend you also check out Pentax (Cosmicar), Canon and Fujinon optics. The latter are not cheap, but they are certainly top notch.

Although you are looking at a 1/3" camera, there are definite optical benefits in going up one or two formats, so if your budget will stretch to it, consider 'C' mount first, perhaps 2/3" or 1" format if you can.

If your supplier will allow you to purchase lenses on a sale or return basis, why not set up a trial using an AI lens (with the Electronic Iris function switched off) and then repeat the test using an equivalent Manual Iris lens (stopped down to perhaps f4) , EI enabled, and compare the recorded images.

That's probably the only way you are going to appreciate the difference.

I like the Fujinon lenses. The one's we've been playing with have a real low F stop and it makes a differance in low light.

ive always favoured the fujinons ... GE's are pretty much the same too, as far as specs go. They even used to say fujinon on them if i remember correctly ..

Confused yet sjmaye ?

Although you are looking at a 1/3" camera, there are definite optical benefits in going up one or two formats, so if your budget will stretch to it, consider 'C' mount first, perhaps 2/3" or 1" format if you can.

Can you tell me what benefits there are with going to C mount and going up to 2/3" or 1" formats?

I use Tamron IR sensitive lenses. They work excellent with Day night cameras.

Do you have to use with this lens any source of IR light, or just work with the moon light or from the street?

they work really good with moonlight and street lamp lights. next month, when the internet get's hooked up at this location, I'll open a couple of cams for demo so that you can see the difference.