sf22

connecting remote flatpanel displays to a PC based system

I am updating an older PC 16 channel Geovision system with a newer one. Eventually its "twin" in the same rack will also be upgraded. Currently the systems connect to a KVM and a single monitor.

The new motherboard has VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs. They would like to install two new flat panel monitors (probably 40") connected to the system so that other folks in the office can quickly look at all of the cameras.

This would get duplicated when the other DVR is replaced.

One monitor location is about 40' and the other is about 60' cable feet away. I am wondering what is a good way to get a video signal to both monitors.

I see that they make HDMI amplified splitters which would certainly give high quality. But I wondered about doing it with composite. There are HDMI composite converters or I could also install a video card that has a composite output.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Here is a suggestion that's 180 degrees from your thoughts but you will thank me later.

Get yourself a Geovision Control Center License and install it on a separate PC. Even at the Monitor location if you want. With Control Center you can create as many matrix displays of any combo of cameras and DVRs you want.

For Example in a Hospital I maintain we have 3 16 channel Geovision DVRs, 1 NVR and some Miscellaneous IP cameras on one of the 16 channel DVRs.

Each Nurses station has a PC with a Control Center License on them with Dual 42" Monitors.

We create 2 Matrix's at each nurses station with the critical cameras to their area as well as common area cameras like the lobby and the main entrance.

In Security with have a Control Center PC with 4 monitors that display all the cameras.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions about it.

Composite will look terrible - you're scaling the video down to 640x480, then displaying it at more than twice that resolution, probably stretched horizontally.

You can get VGA-over-UTP baluns for relatively cheap... or DVI/HDMI-over-UTP extenders for quite a bit more.

Or go with ssmith's suggestion.

Get yourself a Geovision Control Center License and install it on a separate PC. Even at the Monitor location if you want. With Control Center you can create as many matrix displays of any combo of cameras and DVRs you want.

Thanks for the completely different angle. I will look into it.

What do you think the main advantage would be of doing it this way? Because of the ability to create displays any way I want or for some other reason?

Just curious about the 4 displays in security. No need for that here because they don't have dedicated security. Do you have a video card that supports 4 monitors/desktops and you build each desktop?

At the location where they want to do this they just want to see all of the cameras so if the owner or a manager is walking by they can get a quick feel for what is going on. Multiview is available on the computers in their offices if they want to do something in depth.

Composite will look terrible - you're scaling the video down to 640x480, then displaying it at more than twice that resolution, probably stretched horizontally.

Thanks, My memory of doing this with composite was on much smaller size monitors.

For 4 displays we just use 2 dual cards.

No need in getting into the high dollar Matrox stuff.

The advantages are what you stated plus you can bring in DVRs from other sites. Plus you can use remote viewlog just like you are on the DVR.

Thanks, My memory of doing this with composite was on much smaller size monitors.

They were probably 4:3 aspect as well, so they wouldn't have looked stretched.

We have come out of the spot monitor on the card and it looks decent but you are linited to the same display as the DVR.

We have also ran the cameras into 1 in 4 out amps and then into multiplexors but the Control Center route is cheaper and more functional.

avermedia can do this. basic cms software is free too... no liscenses to buy and they answer the phone when you call

But he doesn't have Avermedia so why even bring it up?

Use a quality distributor and there is no reason to get on the phone with the manufacturer.

i didnt see that he had geo. my bad

however, i disagree with the "good dist" argument though. yes, a good supplier is a large key piece of the puzzle...

but suppliers dont come out with software updates, patches, ip cam protocol support, new mobile device apps, evolving browser/ OS compatibility, improved gui's, ect...

outside of basic quality hardware, these are what make or break a product. i'm not saying geo doesn't have it... but they don't answer my phone calls or emails so i dont give them business

I am looking into the Geovision Control Center.

I have a few questions about the displays.

Say for simplicity there are two displays attached to the PC with a dual video card. I create 2 matrices of cameras. Lets say I want to display one matrix on one monitor and one on the other. Is this done using the multiple desktop feature of the OS or via the Geo control center? Can I run the displays full screen similar to tapping the "F" key on the Geo software?

If I scale it up to the 4 display max do I just need 4 separate video outputs (say 2, dual video cards)?

Thanks

It's pretty slick how it works. Once Windows knows the monitor is there so does Control Center.

You build your Matrix screens and name them lets say Matrix 1 and Matrix 2.

Lets say your monitors are in 1024 x 768

Matrix 1 would be left alone and Matrix 2 would have a cordnate of +1024.

I'll do some screen shots for you today.

avermedia can do this. basic cms software is free too... no liscenses to buy and they answer the phone when you call

does avermedia make you pay to use IP cameras with their system?

does avermedia make you pay to use IP cameras with their system?

No

The host list.

This is where you import your DVRs into control center.

This setup has three DVRs.

Host_List-1.jpg

The group list.

This would be your first group of cameras from assorted DVRs to create a Matrix from.

You drag cameras from the host list into here.

GroupList-1.jpg

Host and group side by side.

Controlcenter-1.jpg

This is where you set up the location of the Matrix. This particular has dual monitors with only a matrix on monitor 2.

Two 1024 x 768 monitors is 2048 x 768.

By making the X dimension 1024 that tells the matrix to start on the 1025th pixel.

Matrix-1.jpg

The Y axis would be if you have monitors stacked.

The host list.

This is where you import your DVRs into control center.

This setup has three DVRs.

Thanks for the screen snips.

If you had say multiple remote monitor installation as I described and lets say you assign the displays to the monitors you want can you then hit the "F" key on each to make them go full screen?

Also it is practical to set this up if you can't see the remote monitors? Say the PC running control center is in the computer room and the remote monitors are out in the hall 50' away and you only have 1 locally attached monitor?

If you make a DVR a client of control center does it limit any local operation at the DVR (manager goes directly to the DVR and wants to run viewlog etc)?

Thanks for your help.

If you had say multiple remote monitor installation as I described and lets say you assign the displays to the monitors you want can you then hit the "F" key on each to make them go full screen?

They go full screen by default and there are a ton of options to let it come up automatically on reboot if you want.

Also it is practical to set this up if you can't see the remote monitors? Say the PC running control center is in the computer room and the remote monitors are out in the hall 50' away and you only have 1 locally attached monitor?

I have several this way. Some running VGA over Cat5 and Some running HDMI over Cat5.

If you make a DVR a client of control center does it limit any local operation at the DVR (manager goes directly to the DVR and wants to run viewlog etc)?

I have a system with 3 DVRs 1 NVR and 4 control centers connected to them.

You don't even know they are connected.

You also have full function of playback in Control center.

I have several this way. Some running VGA over Cat5 and Some running HDMI over Cat5.

Thanks for all of the info.

I ran this past the owner yesterday and he likes the idea. Initially we will likely go with 2 sets of 2 large flat panels with a possibly of going with 2 sets of three.

The cable lengths are 50' for the furthest group so I am thinking HDMI cables.

I am thinking of using powered HDMI splitters and currently looking at video cards.

As you noted earlier a Matrox video card would be overkill.

ATI has an interesting quad fanless with mini display ports that isn't super expensive (ATI 100-505610)

The common dual fanless cards seem to have a DVI and a HDMI port so I can use the HDMI directly and use an adapter for DVI to HDMI.

I'm working on one now that the owner provided the Flat Panels and they are el chepos with HDMI only and no VGA.

I found some cards that are twin DVI. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129091

I was thinking using a DVI to HDMI adapter and HDMI over Cat5 powered baluns.

I am trying to avoid small fans. Aside from being noisy they seem to be the #1 failure item in systems that run 24x7. That card seems like a good fit if I can't find or go with a fanless card.

I found this fanless dual DVI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125328

Also the quad card I mentioned is a little spendier but would only require a motherboard with one PCIE16 slot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195099&Tpk=100-505610

It comes with 4 mini display port to DVI dongles.

I'm working on one now that the owner provided the Flat Panels and they are el chepos with HDMI only and no VGA.

I found some cards that are twin DVI. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129091

I am trying to avoid small fans. Aside from being noisy they seem to be the #1 failure item in systems that run 24x7. That card seems like a good fit if I can't find or go with a fanless card.

Also the quad card I mentioned is a little spendier but would only require a motherboard with one PCIE16 slot:

looking at the cost of everything. and the problem of mixing. here is another option for you.

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=175

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=286

I like your card choice.

I didn't know Display port could be converted to HDMI. I'm rethinking my decision.

I like your card choice.

I didn't know Display port could be converted to HDMI. I'm rethinking my decision.

I pretty much ignored display port because I never encountered a monitor that used it.

I will be using that card for the current project.

I will be using DVI-HDMI converters, powered HDMI splitters and HDMI cables.

Say you had a 40" flat panel mounted in an office hallway. I know this is subjective. How many cameras could you expect to display (using control center) and have a decently readable result?