which is the type that can be used for cctv?

I need at least RG6 size as they dont want to use conduit, right now.

thankx

Rory

Just make sure that whatever cable you get has a copper core and copper braid. Do not get aluminum braid for any reason or you will have serious problems.

Just make sure that whatever cable you get has a copper core and copper braid. Do not get aluminum braid for any reason or you will have serious problems.

Can you elaborate on "serious problems"? I'm about to hook up some cameras to RG-6 quad and this is freaking me out!

Unless it is a very short run you'll most likely run into very high loss of signal strength and also probably pickup electrical interference. If you already have the cable give it a try first by just laying out the length you are going to use. Don't install it first only to find out you have problems.

I installed the RG-6 during a remodel, so it's there forever. I also installed some of that orange component-wire conduit for "just in case..." The distance is only about 50 ft; but it's important to get everything right, so I'll probably run some RG59 siamese through the conduit.

Edited by Guest

i just told the electrician to run RG6 cable, its run 850'+ and I got it on a T-connector, basically its going to a monitor in a security booth. It appears to be the same quality. I imagine thats just regular RG6, I doubt they would have bought anything special.

RG-6 Quad is better then regular RG-6. We usally use quad for cable tv in houses. Less sensitive for electrical interference.

We only use 95% copper-shielded RG-59. Our runs never exceed 45 feet before being digitized and sent through the air.

Would a switch to RG-6 give us any added quality?

We have had nothing but problems using RG-6 regular or quad shielded. So we suggest to steer clear unless your runs are REALLY short.

RG-6 was only useful for long runs over 1000' but since now you can use cat5 there is no need to use RG-6.

If your using RG-6 quad for cable tv in a home thats fine, but for composite video it works like **** in my opinion.

On one particular job in beverly hills where we tried to use RG-6 regular for a video output from the DVR to a SONY plasma TV and all we got was lots of snow. As soon as we wasted an hour trying to figue out what the hell it could be, we repulled a RG-59u and the signal was completely clear. Dumb little things like this will drive you crazy....