Tailbone215

What brand power tools do you buy your workers?

Do you buy the more expensive brands like Dewalt, Hilti, Milwaukee, or Rigid? Or do you cheap out and buy them the disposable brands such as Ryobi. There are two mindsets here. Some believe it is better buying disposable tools as the workers will destroy them just as quickly as they would the better tool.

I'm a fan of Milwaukee from way back - I got one of these when I started in car audio in 1990, and still have it today:

28857_65466-1.jpg

For a 2.4V NiCad battery, it has a surprising amount of torque... the first battery lasted 8 years before it wouldn't take a charge anymore; the second another three years after that. Best $200 I ever spent on a tool. I have a second one now, to keep at home - got the complete kit again, and they still sell for around $180.

I also have a Milwaukee 14.4V drill that's seen six about years of heavy service so far.

The other favorite is a Makita impact screwdriver that's pretty much an identical form factor to the Milwaukee:

Makita20TD020DSW207220Cordless20Impact20-1.jpg

The Makita uses a 7.2V lithium battery; kit with carry case, fast-charger and two batteries lists around $150, and we got them on sale for $60

I really like the folding/straight design and the thumb-operated control on these tools - I've used power screwdrivers with all manner of variations of controls and none of them have ever felt comfortable.

My co-worker has a 6-tool Ryobi kit (drill, impact driver, circular saw, vacuum, flashlight and radio, with two NiMH batteries) that cost him something like $280 on-sale and has served him quite well (although the drill can't even hope to keep up to my big Milwaukee). The neat thing with the Ryobi "One+" system is that they have a set of lithium batteries that are fully compatible with the entire tool line... including the charger (I think he just got the batteries and uses his original charger, then added a quick-charger later).

He also picked up the matching angle grinder, and the hammer drill, which while it's no substitute for the big Hilti TE-15 when drilling a 1/2" hole through 8" cast concrete, is much more convenient for Tapcon screws and nylon anchors

We don't buy cheap... we just make sure there is accountability to whomever carries the tools.

I've had some bad luck with Dewalt here recently... I'm on to Rigid. Supposedly lifetime warranty, even on batteries. We'll see about that when I break it.

I'm pretty tough on tools though. Ever forget a mallet and use a battery pack?

If I had money to burn(like my ex-employer did) I'd buy Hilti... they last forever but you're paying for it! Keep the batteries away from frost as a replacement battery alone costs a small fortune.

I have a 24v Hitachi SDS+ cordless, bought it last week for £200, bargain!

I used to have a bosch(GHB24) that took some hammering over the years and served its purpose well.

I also have a Makita 18v cordless drill which cost me £100(another bargain), it's nearing its end now after 5yrs of heavy use.

Shop around and you will find some bargains - nobody is buying power tools over here as there is no use for them!!! Google them, read reviews of power tools online and go get yourself some nice pieces of kit.

Buy a decent brand, look after it, get it serviced when it needs servicing, and if you see an employee mistreating your tools hit them around the head with it!

My ol' boss used to say "look after your tools - and your tools will look after you"!

G'luck.

i got a $20 Black and Decker drill for $150 here, does that make me cheap?

LOL... Was that with or without a battery and charger??!

:lol: make them work for the money.

LOL... a bradawl and brace n bit... and a Jewson whip to keep us at it!! Showing your age now Tom!!!

I am cheap.. They use Ryobi on the field for regular day to day work.We check these drills and power equipment like every 3 months to make sure they are all accounted for. The heavier work we have Rigid, but that has to be checked out and checked back in daily!

Well, left the little Makita screwgun on the roof of the van the other day... drove off... felt it hit my shoulder on the way down, before it bounced into the street. Was gone by the time I circled back

Picked one of these up, though - Home Depot has a killer deal on right now:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/jobmax-multi-tool-starter-kit-12-volt/917642

17964R82235_4_Final_4-1.jpg

They had it on sale for $99 for the "starter kit", with one additional attachment head free (regular price $49) - I went for the impact driver. Picked up an extra battery as well. Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on the batteries, too, which is something I've never seen before.

Well, left the little Makita screwgun on the roof of the van the other day... drove off... felt it hit my shoulder on the way down, before it bounced into the street. Was gone by the time I circled back

why did you leave it on the roof?

could only dream of a sears or home depot here ...

looked around for a hammer drill the other day and cheapest Makita is still around $500.

Milwaukee is in the $700 bracket.

We bought DeWalt drivers in 2006 and haven't needed to replace any (except for the one or two that were lost). We have had to replace batteries occasionally too, but so far no major issues. I'm sure that there are a lot of folks out there that are harder on equipment than we are, though. I'm pretty careful with my tools, and I know a lot of guys that are too...

Picked one of these up, though - Home Depot has a killer deal on right now:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/jobmax-multi-tool-starter-kit-12-volt/917642

17964R82235_4_Final_4-1.jpg

They had it on sale for $99 for the "starter kit", with one additional attachment head free (regular price $49) - I went for the impact driver. Picked up an extra battery as well. Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on the batteries, too, which is something I've never seen before.

That is one tool I found to be utterly useless and never really found it beneficial for a replacement for anything else I have in my arsenal. Some people swear by them, but they have yet to prove to me it can do anything better than what can be done with basic hand tools. I prefer to travel light and only carry tools that have versatility.

Well, we have yet to see if the stock cutting/sanding tools will be useful, but it is a very nice, fast, powerful impact driver that's already been handy for getting into tight areas (ie. between studs on a wall to mount a gang box). My co-worker has a ton of Ryobi One+ tools, including a palm sander that he uses from time to time when fabricating custom mounts and fittings, so I expect the sander head will see some use occasionally as well.

Well, we have yet to see if the stock cutting/sanding tools will be useful, but it is a very nice, fast, powerful impact driver that's already been handy for getting into tight areas (ie. between studs on a wall to mount a gang box). My co-worker has a ton of Ryobi One+ tools, including a palm sander that he uses from time to time when fabricating custom mounts and fittings, so I expect the sander head will see some use occasionally as well.

Use an old Dewalt 4.5" side grinder that does exceptionally well with the proper disk installed for the job at hand. Fantastic for cutting in tight spots. Tried that with the above tool and I was mildly unimpressed and took forever. Seemed more a novelty for a home owner than a work tool.