ikith

In the market for a system

I'm looking for an 8 camera system. My budget is up to around 600 dollars MAYBE more for the right system.

It needs to be high quality image and save to a DVR system which can be accessed from a computer via network. I need day and night for this project.

I'm brand new to this so if you have any other questions PLEASE ask them so I can get what I need.

Thank you.

P.S. I have done some research but nothing too extravagant. Thank you again.

I concur with the other guys in this post; your video surveillance will be severely restricted by your budget.

For example, our least expensive 8 channel system is right under 900 dollars, but even then you are sacrificing a great deal to get a price point like that. Your resolution is going to be in 400 level range (top level analog cameras will have 700 or more TV lines).

And if you want a "high quality image," that could mean IP cameras, which means that you could spend in the 10K price range for a top of the line IP camera system.

Some notes on your question:

1. "DVR system which can be accessed from a computer via network" -- Most DVRs let you do this (even the cheapest ones).

2. "I need day and night for this project." Day and night can mean "color video during the day and night" or "black and white, infrared video at night and color in the day"

3. "High Quality," like many things in life, can mean different things to different people.

Ikith, you could probably get a full system at that price if it's for residential and you do your homework!

The first step is to put any technical issues out of your head - the major cause that prospects list as to why they did not buy a system was that they could not understand all the technical jargon , the 5 reps that called on them rambled on about.

Make a list around your home state in simple terms , that you can easily understand - such as:

I want to able to [Observe] for [Reason]

Eg......I want to be able to observe the area behind the door to see who is at the door and within the door area before I open it.

You will very quickly compile such a list. Once you have that list - pm , and i'll tell you if you can do it cheaply or if you need to look at higher specs.

The key is always related to value.

Measure the consequences of the failure - for example What if i could not see who was at the door and I opened it and 7 gunmen entered and killed my family (Extreme --- lol, commonplace in South Africa) then apply a monetary value to the consequences of the failure.

Once you have placed a monetary value alongside each of the failure points, you might even be prepared to spend $50000 on your home surveillance system -LOL

Make a list around your home state in simple terms , that you can easily understand - such as:

I want to able to [Observe] for [Reason]

Eg......I want to be able to observe the area behind the door to see who is at the door and within the door area before I open it.

You will very quickly compile such a list.

That's a really good start. This site seriously needs a "newb template" for people to fill out, and it could start with this.

To that I would add, prioritize each item, so if it comes down to budget, you can either eliminate them, or plan to add them later.

Hi, first post here. I was compelled to chime in from a typical diy'er on a budget perspective because I think that's the nature of the OP. When I assessed my needs it was simply to have all night access to view my home remotely, while I did the same for my employment on a seriously expensive open eye sytem. I'm monitoring one, why not two? With my honey alone overnight at home, I felt it was about time I did this. So I looked into and shopped for a few weeks and realized that not only couldn't I afford even a midrange system, I didn't really want one. An entry level package was right for me.

I settled on a q-see QS408-811-5 package. Keep in mind I'm used to monitoring an open eye system and really good cameras. What have I learned between the two? Frankly, it's mostly about the cameras. This q-see dvr is as capable as the MUCH more expensive open eye dvr. About the only thing that separates the two is the difference between archiving to a USB stick in the q-see, or to a writeable disc drive in the open eye dvr. The q-see dvr is an eight channel networking unit that has all the features and control you could want- even for PTZ. I mean seriously, look at the capability- it's great. Where the system becomes entry level is the cables and the cameras. A CMOS 400 TVL on 60-100' budget cable is, well, a compromise for sure. And yet, I get accurate color representation for clothes and face ID during the day- quite accetable. And IR at night with some added lights outside gives me acceptable quality- certainly what I was looking for in the first place- a way to keep an eye on my house remotely overnight. I wouldn't dare set email notification and I certainly haven't recorded yet. The bugs from the lights alone would keep the thing recording all night. I'm simply ready to manually record if needed and save a ton of HD space and horse power. But for about 450 balloons total, I'm seeing my property now, where I was blind previously. My veiw is B&W at night and a bit grainy, but I was blind- now I see.

So if I may, I would suggest either piecing together a budget system or looking into a package. I only know q-see equipment and I must say, for the short bucks it's impressive- albeit down here at entry level systems. The dvr's, at least my experience with this one, are very capable. Put the bucks into cables and perhaps 520TVL or CCD cameras, or as much as you can afford, and you'll get what you need. Cables and cameras- that's really where it's at. IME, the budget dvr's are ready for prime time. Feed them well and you'll nail it. Good luck.

Dan