jisun126

plugging in poe powered cable into non poe device, bad?

Does plugging in a poe powered Ethernet cable into a non poe device is a big no-no?

I'm wondering if I fried anything by doing this to my axis camera or there is a safety mechanism that detects this sort carelessness.

Does plugging in a poe powered Ethernet cable into a non poe device is a big no-no?

I'm wondering if I fried anything by doing this to my axis camera or there is a safety mechanism that detects this sort carelessness.

simple test for you to see if you have damaged your camera. did it work when you wired it right. ???

No, it's not bad. The PoE switch/injector communicates with the device to determine if it is PoE compatible before putting full power on the line.

If you have everything cabled correctly, you won't damage a non-PoE device by plugging it into a PoE supply.

No, it's not bad. The PoE switch/injector communicates with the device to determine if it is PoE compatible before putting full power on the line.

If you have everything cabled correctly, you won't damage a non-PoE device by plugging it into a PoE supply.

Yo uare right about the PoE switch, it communicates with device, but some PoE injectors are passive and, they just inject power to the cable so it is possible to fry camera.

Yo uare right about the PoE switch, it communicates with device, but some PoE injectors are passive and, they just inject power to the cable so it is possible to fry camera.

I am gonna have to disagree with you here.. I have used many POE switches and injectors and I have never fried ANY network device with them. I have even accidently used Non-standard devices with POE devices and never fried anything. This includes POE+ injectors and network devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

I am gonna have to disagree with you here.. I have used many POE switches and injectors and I have never fried ANY network device with them. I have even accidently used Non-standard devices with POE devices and never fried anything. This includes POE+ injectors and network devices.

Never say never It is *theoretically possible* to damage something by plugging a non-standard PoE injector into an oddball device... however, it is *very highly, extremely* unlikely.

There are some companies using "dumb" injectors that just push power regardless of whether the device needs it.

Look at the new outreach max from veracity for instance.

Edited by Guest

Yes, but almost any device with an Ethernet port is also designed to handle some basic voltage spikes, well within the range of what you're going to get out of a quasi POE-Injector.

The Ethernet spec used specific pairs of the cable so that it would not interfere with telephone wiring, which is -48VDC, and ~90-96VAC for the ringer signal. Generally speaking, any device with an Ethernet port should be able to handle at LEAST 100VAC on any set of pins, just as a simple protection against wiring errors. The magnetics should block any DC voltage from getting past the port.

You'd have to couple a REALLY oddball injector with a REALLY poorly engineered device to damage it.

Nothing will happen. By design you can plug a non-PoE device into a PoE-capable port on a switch with complete safety.

Any power injector that does that is not following the PoE spec. If you really do have a PoE injector that behaves this way, please tell us the brand name and model number so we never ever buy one.

Any power injector that does that is not following the PoE spec. If you really do have a PoE injector that behaves this way, please tell us the brand name and model number so we never ever buy one.

We bought them from AVTech I think I've got picture somewhere....

It was on a 215 ptz axis camera. Well it never really worked to begin with.

I use trendnet"'s poe switches that is 8 port of which 4 are poe so sometimes its not hard to mix up the two sets.

I dont think I ever plugged it in but was wondering why the "NET" led never lights up anymore just incase I did.

The camera turns on and swivels around but I cant get it to connect to the network so I am suspecting something internal like the network port is having issues.

Anyone know if this is hard to repair?

It was on a 215 ptz axis camera. Well it never really worked to begin with.

I use trendnet"'s poe switches that is 8 port of which 4 are poe so sometimes its not hard to mix up the two sets.

I dont think I ever plugged it in but was wondering why the "NET" led never lights up anymore just incase I did.

The camera turns on and swivels around but I cant get it to connect to the network so I am suspecting something internal like the network port is having issues.

Anyone know if this is hard to repair?

The Axis 215PTZ is not a POE camera so it will not power up if plugged into a POE switch.

Hook up 12V power adapter that came with the camera. Plug it into you network then use AXIS Camera Management to find the camera on the network.

Yes i plugged in the 12v power supply it came with and did the whole resetting procedure correctly.

I also used the axis IP utility program to find the dhcp IP, is this correct?

Only the PWR and STAT lights stay on but nothing from NET

maybe just a real quick one time blink in the beginning but nothing after that.

Axis repair center is asking me to send it to them for estimate on repair. Any suggestions?

Yes i plugged in the 12v power supply it came with and did the whole resetting procedure correctly.

I also used the axis IP utility program to find the dhcp IP, is this correct?

Only the PWR and STAT lights stay on but nothing from NET

maybe just a real quick one time blink in the beginning but nothing after that.

Axis repair center is asking me to send it to them for estimate on repair. Any suggestions?

i take it you have bought your camera secondhand ???

Warning: Some PoE switches are Passive PoE switches and ALWAYS provide full power to the ports. Gigabit networks use all 4 pair. So if you are using a Passive PoE switch with a Gigabit network, you will always be providing full power on the typically unused 2 pair and your device will not like it.