FarmerCharlie

Ghosting on one of my analog channels

I have four analog cameras setup to broadcast images from bird nests. Last year I upgraded the cable on Channels 3 and 4 to install pretty good RG6 cable for the runs of about 200 feet. I buried part of the cable and also installed conduit in case I needed to rerun the cables in the future. This worked fine last year. This year when I hooked up the cameras I noticed that one of the cameras displayed some ghosting. At first I thought I had burned an image into the chip, but today I took a monitor to the camera to test it, and did not notice the ghosting. I'm guessing it may be a cable problem, but it bothers me that the two cameras I still have setup on the cheap ($20.00 / 100 feet) ready-made cables are not showing the problem; it's only on one of the ones I upgraded last year.

I'm attaching two images. The top one is a wood duck box in daylight. The bottom one is the same image at night. The night image shows a bright light at the entrance, because the box also has an interior camera with its own LED supply. In both examples you can see what appear to be two entrance holes; there should be only one.

Any ideas? I'll bet the advice is going to be to go ahead and run new cable through the conduit, and I'll do that if I have to. But I'm hoping someone may have a couple of simpler things to try first.

Thanks,

Charles

2011_03_18_19_20_36Cam3Ghosting2NightCrop.jpg.60fdaf29cbb00f71bc640f49b36a0a53.jpg

2011_03_18_18_10_24Cam3Ghosting1DayCrop.jpg.0b8e971961728a8898953e3a1d5c6520.jpg

Are these cameras being run on 12vdc or 24vac?? It looks to me like they are 12vdc cameras, and are sharing a power supply. Likely what has happened is some moisture has gotten into the conduit and is causing a bit of a ground loop, Try powering the camera that is Ghosting on it's own power supply and see if it clears up, also since it is only 4 cameras, try unplugging the other 3 cameras from power and the dvr and see if it clears up the camera that is ghosting. That will point to a ground issue.

Are these cameras being run on 12vdc or 24vac?? It looks to me like they are 12vdc cameras, and are sharing a power supply. Likely what has happened is some moisture has gotten into the conduit and is causing a bit of a ground loop, Try powering the camera that is Ghosting on it's own power supply and see if it clears up, also since it is only 4 cameras, try unplugging the other 3 cameras from power and the dvr and see if it clears up the camera that is ghosting. That will point to a ground issue.

They are on 12 volt DC. I think they are all on a multi-channel power supply, but I'll have to go check. It's a little strange to me that the two cameras that display the ghosting are on RG60 cable I put in last year. The other two are still on the cheap Siamese cables, and they seem to be OK.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks,

Charles