andy74

Installation monitor for ip cameras?

Hi Guys.

What kind of installation monitor or devices do you use when focusing ip cameras?

Is there any better device than laptop pc? Sometimes (almoust every time with outdoor cameras) it is so hard hold laptop pc in other hand ( + power adapter for pc, poe adapter for camera...) and focus camera with other hand + if weather is cold, poor and rainy like we usually have here in Finland . There must be easier way to do it alone, laptop is too clumsy.

Axis has AXIS T8412, but only works with axis cameras i belive. Any similar device with bigger screen?

Thx for your replys

Yours

Andy

I haven't seen anything out there but it'd sure be handy!

Focus cams before you mount them whenever possible.

Otherwise get somebody to help you, get them to stand at the bottom of your ladders with the laptop or at the head-end and use your mobile phones!.

Whatever you do just be careful up those ladders!

instead of a laptop why not use a netbook instead, most of the 10" netbooks are very light now. Get a portable DVD player case that will fit the netbook then you could put it around your neck and use it like that?

Focus the camera before you install it. Don't use a laptop or netbook on a ladder. Use a GOOD monitor or the monitor the customer will be viewing the cameras from. I find 2 people with 2 way radios to be the best solution or use cameras with remote focus

Try to prefocus the IP's prior to taking them out. We have lines in our parking lot to determine the distance by feet. measure the distance you want to focus into, at the customers location and then make that adjustment at the shop. If you don't get it perfect at the installation, we use cell phones with someone at the monitor location and if they have been pre set, you only have to rock the lens back and forth with ease.

2 way radios and cell phones, been there done that, not my preferred methods to get optimal focus, then again neither is carrying a netbook up 20 feet .. I agree prefocus whenever you can. I like the sound of remote focus cameras even better though

2 way radios and cell phones, been there done that, not my preferred methods to get optimal focus, then again neither is carrying a netbook up 20 feet .. I agree prefocus whenever you can. I like the sound of remote focus cameras even better though

Avigilon

remote zoom and remote focus rocks

Thx a lot for replys.

Last case we had customer wanted change view of 4 av2155 4-10mm outdoor cameras and i had to refocus cameras alone. It was really pain to do with laptop and standing ladders 5 meters high.There also was really shine and quite cold day, a lot of snow and ice in the ground so it would have been hard to get clear image even witout ladder problem. 2 of 4 cameras couldnt get full focused images, but what i have read here, it might be also arecont / lense feature.

Prefocusing sounds great, but sometimes when i have to refocus camera with ladders i have to find better device than laptop pc. Maybe i will buy one Rory's mentioned netbook + good case

Is 10'' screen big enought to focus cameras. Any netbook recommendation for this job? any inportant feature netbook should have for camera focusing?

ps.

You guys have done great job with this forum, i have read this years and got many good advices.

Yours

Andy

for the sunlight issue ive been using a black tshirt over my head and the monitor .. a little dangerous on the ladder though so only when I had no choice. Wait for low light otherwise or cloud, best not to try focus in full sun light anyway. Size wise I use a 9" monitor for cctv cameras and could still do with larger but it works and others use even smaller, but you are talking about MP cameras so may differ. Acer make light netbooks, not sure how well they would do with MP cameras though, would probably need to make it smaller like 1.3MP so the CPU doesnt max out.

I'm using an ASUS netbook (model 1005HA), which even with a measly Atom 270 processor works fine for higher resolutions - I just display the camera at 100% and scroll the browser window to the area I want to focus on. This model has a really bright LED-backlit screen and is quite viewable even in direct sunlight.

I've done the two-man focus-by-phone thing, and frankly, it's a PITA and ultimately unworkable most of the time. If I'm the person at the camera, it requires the person at the DVR not just being as discerning as I am about the point of focus, but understanding the view and angle I want as well - there's nothing like coming all the way back down the ladder and finding that it doesn't look the way you envisioned it. And even with a fast network and viewing computer, there's always a lag between camera adjustments and the display - it makes focusing on your own annoying enough, nevermind having to stand by the DVR giving instructions only watch helplessly as the person at the camera continually turns the focus ring past the right point again and again (heck, that's bad enough even with the immediacy of analog cameras).

Pre-focusing on the bench seems like a nice idea and may be fine if you're using fixed lenses, where you're stuck with the given FOV... what if you spend all that time setting up a varifocal lens on the bench, then get the camera in place and discover you need to change the FOV? Now your focus needs to be adjusted again, and you're back where you started. Again, a nice idea, but largely unworkable in most instances.

It's frankly 20 times faster to just pack my monitor or netbook up the ladder or lift, plug it in, make the adjustments with the camera in its desired position with the desired view, and be done with it. Even if I have to take the camera up, mount and connect it, then come back down for the monitor, it's still faster, and far less hassle.

Pre-focusing on the bench seems like a nice idea and may be fine if you're using fixed lenses, where you're stuck with the given FOV... what if you spend all that time setting up a varifocal lens on the bench, then get the camera in place and discover you need to change the FOV? Now your focus needs to be adjusted again, and you're back where you started. Again, a nice idea, but largely unworkable in most instances.

Id have to disagree with some of that, its been my experience most people want the widest angle, so that can be done prefocus in most cases, in a controlled environment for more precision focusing eg. no bright sunlight, objects with alot of contrast, bright and low light setting etc. It only takes a few minutes to do this at the office, then when one gets on the job its plug and play, unless ofcourse the cameras need to be zoomed in on something or objects close to it throw it out of focus. Prefocus is even more beneficial when dealing with Infrared and day night applications.

Do what I did. I bought a E350 Van with a 29' VersaLift Bucket. Best damn purchase I ever made. I can bring the whole computer up there with me if I need to. I haven't used a ladder outside in months because I use the thing even when it's a few feet off the ground LOL! I have 120V power and hang a box off the side to keep all my tools and parts and it makes a nice shelf for me to put my laptop on while focusing.

Kinda like comparing a Cadillac to a Ford Focus. It's so much more comfortable Most of my jobs are on level ground ie schools, gas stations, big buildings other places I got the ladder for if need be. Now if it only did 25MPG I would be golden because 7-9MPG is killing me.

Do what I did. I bought a E350 Van with a 29' VersaLift Bucket. Best damn purchase I ever made. I can bring the whole computer up there with me if I need to. I haven't used a ladder outside in months because I use the thing even when it's a few feet off the ground LOL! I have 120V power and hang a box off the side to keep all my tools and parts and it makes a nice shelf for me to put my laptop on while focusing.

Kinda like comparing a Cadillac to a Ford Focus. It's so much more comfortable Most of my jobs are on level ground ie schools, gas stations, big buildings other places I got the ladder for if need be. Now if it only did 25MPG I would be golden because 7-9MPG is killing me.

I would like to have a van also but right now we rent these http://www.genieindustries.com/sb-series/sb-dualcap.asp hoping someday to buy one

Ladders? What are ladders??

Wireguys and 3RDIGLBL I'll raise you...

I have one of those new instantly inflating cranes I carry around in the glovebox, it's just a pain in the a$$ lifting it into position!

crane2u-1.jpg

I'm saving up for one of these though - you don't even have to get out of your van!

crane1-1.jpg

Try out some Sony cameras. You only need an analog monitor to get your field of view, press the Easy Focus button, close it up, climb down the ladder. Perfect focus!

I use either a small pocket monitor (marshall) or a DVD player with a RCA plug. No more dragging a laptop, messing with IP addresses on a ladder or using a poe splitter, etc.

Not a problem if you setup your FOV when you design the system.

except when the clients change their mind on what they want to see when you go install the cameras I just set them all to wide then if they need to be zoomed in thats an easy focus anyway.

except when the clients change their mind on what they want to see when you go install the cameras I just set them all to wide then if they need to be zoomed in thats an easy focus anyway.

Remote zoom and focus is your friend

except when the clients change their mind on what they want to see when you go install the cameras.

Or when walls, fixtures, or millwork move between the time YOU get the plans you design from, and the contractor gets the plans he builds from (nevermind the changes that are inevitably made on-site, on-the-fly...)