D.V.S.

CNB Vbm-24vf Without Smoke Dome Cover

Just as I thought. Removing the smoke dome made the picture much brighter. Makes me want to leave off that dome cover. Does CNB make clear dome covers? Or is there any CNB dome with a clear dome that will fit the VBM-24vf?

Without dome cover

Withoutdome-1.jpg

With dome cover

Withdome-1.jpg

edit: Vcm-24vf is similar

Edited by Guest

I checked with CNB tech as this also interests me.

They dont have a clear vandal dome cover, but they say they have a clear cover for their indoor dome that will fit the vandal dome. Order ‘Clear Bubble dome for D2000 series’ as a misc. item. But it wont be vandal as mentioned.

I never knew that would make such a difference!

If I was CNB I'd start working on a vandal-proof clear dome right away...

Or at least improve the smoked polycarbonate so viewing from the inside out is not as dimmed!

Thanks Rory. I hope that clear dome will not cost a fortune. I uploaded a daytime video on youtube. For this cam I could never get it focused correctly with the dome on. Focused without dome and when I put dome on it seems unfocused. Maybe the BBm-24vf would be a better choice because its a box camera. Only if rain doesn't hit it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NinRKvyMm5A

the polycarbonate scratches really easy, even fingers Ive found damage it. I guess they cut costs on the scratch resistant coating, though perhaps that could cause some focus issues also. Ive found eyeglass cleaning cloth to be the safest thing for it. Make sure you are focusing it under low light, the lens isnt that great. Are the settings all default? Other than the sharpness

I tried removing the dome on my other CNB's and the picture does improve. It seems that the dome is causing some type of distortion. Either the smoke tint or the spherical shape of it. My domes are in excellent condition. Settings are mostly default other than AGC-4, maybe some changes to BLC.

With the dome on, these camera's do a good job. But with it off, the performance increases more. It's not bugging me that much as I use megapixel cams to get the finer details. But it is a concern.

edit: This is with the 1st generation cams no gamma. AGC 4 not 7

Edited by Guest

Biggest problem ive had with the covers is the scratching and the glare/reflection from Sunlight and other light sources.

If you watch my youtube video, you can see that the field of view actually changes. Try and pause the video and look at the stills of before and after. The dome actually does have some distortion on it. I may make a custom enclosure for these, as I don't know if I would trust those clear domes.

Now thats strange. Does it happen on the other domes or do you only have the one?

yeah after downloading it and splitting it up into jpegs ... I see it now.

It becomes brighter and the FOV becomes slightly larger. Strange.

eg0119.jpg.dc428dc9c9fb829c72441849ea1cc73d.jpg

eg0134.jpg.21dd42e3b4751533244cde359060567e.jpg

Maybe the BBm-24vf would be a better choice because its a box camera. Only if rain doesn't hit it.

Well sunshield would protect that a little, should stay as clean as the dome unless the dome is ceiling mounted. Anyway will let you know, should be installing all these BBMs tomorrow or at least starting. Im not expecting anything amazing though, and even though I prefocused Im prepared for the worst.

I never knew that would make such a difference!

If I was CNB I'd start working on a vandal-proof clear dome right away...

Or at least improve the smoked polycarbonate so viewing from the inside out is not as dimmed!

Yes, I see no reason for the smoke dome. On other domes that I purchased, they are all clear with a blackout insert. Does anyone have a smoke dome on a brand other than CNB?

On one cam, I'm going to install it in the exterior wall like I did my other CNB. The other one has no wall there so I was thinking of retrofitting an extra Samsung clear dome on it.

CNB Vbm-24vf mounted in exterior wall.

IMG_3448.JPG.88a528f8f044cda3e750d5a9cd775d19.JPG

I've got the smoked domes as well and noticed a slight difference while sitting at the DVR as the dome was placed or removed.

In July we'll be moving to another building and I'll take the cameras with us so maybe it is time to replace the 6 outside domes with the clear bubble. Vandalism will not be a major factor; I have Googled the D2000 clear bubble and can not find much. If there are any ideas where I can get them I'll take it.

However I wonder if the difference is enough to replace them?

It would be a special order from your supplier.

The tech I spoke to was from CNB USA so I imagine they are in stock there and would need to be drop shipped from that location.

Its still a bubble so I guess it still wont be perfect, but at least would make it a little brighter.

I've got the smoked domes as well and noticed a slight difference while sitting at the DVR as the dome was placed or removed.

In July we'll be moving to another building and I'll take the cameras with us so maybe it is time to replace the 6 outside domes with the clear bubble. Vandalism will not be a major factor; I have Googled the D2000 clear bubble and can not find much. If there are any ideas where I can get them I'll take it.

However I wonder if the difference is enough to replace them?

The best way to see the difference is to extract the video to your computer. By switching the paused video back and forth on the same player, you can see the change easier. Can you upload a video of this? Would be nice to see another example.

The D2000 series and the Vbm/Vcm-24vf each fit a 100mm dome. Assuming Rory's contact is correct, the clear dome should fit in the 24vf's cover plate.

The best way to see the difference is to extract the video to your computer. By switching the paused video back and forth on the same player, you can see the change easier. Can you upload a video of this? Would be nice to see another example.

The D2000 series and the Vbm/Vcm-24vf each fit a 100mm dome. Assuming Rory's contact is correct, the clear dome should fit in the 24vf's cover plate.

Here is a minute long video of the VBM 24VF dome cover on and off in 2 different lighting scenarios taken directly from the DVR. You guys be the judge.

Hey thanks Jason. If u pause on the 1 sec and then look at 6 sec, you can see the difference. Off, the picture looks nice and sharp. On, the pic looks slightly off focus. Same as mine. I should be done putting on the samsung clear dome in a bit.

Well stupid me. It seems like the samsung dome was a perfect fit in the cnb cover plate. I could even use the cnb o-ring on the samsung dome. The dome was from a scc-B5393 vandal cam. Any scc-B539x series should fit.

IMG_3454.JPG.c48666c81e104b592e4b02f8d65d6895.JPG

Edited by Guest

Yes, I see no reason for the smoke dome. On other domes that I purchased, they are all clear with a blackout insert. Does anyone have a smoke dome on a brand other than CNB?

Pelco IS90 and Panasonic WV-CW484/CW502, just off the top of my head...

some stores here have what I think are pelco dome bubbles indoors, and they are like pitch black covers ... cant imagine the cameras see all that well even with all the indoor light, I mean people still know a camera is there, in fact most dont even care anymore.