coopersim

Accessing camera over web using the port number?

Hi! New member here....

I'm after some help as I'm really confused

I have two Foscam outdoor cameras

I've set my DYNDNS up - that seems ok

I've set my cameras up and entered the port number as 8001 on one and 8002 on the other - that seems ok

I've created Firewall rules to allow in and outbound traffic on these ports

But! When I browse to http://mydnsaddress/dyndns.whatever:portnumber

It times out.

I've tried this from home and work with the same results - thinking work block this port

Can anyone help please?

Can you access the camera locally, using the local network IP?

If so, then you have a port-forwarding issue most likely.

If not, (assuming you access the cameras directory, and not a DVR/server) then it's a camera issue or maybe you need a plug-in or active-x component (not familair with those cameras) that isnt getting installed?

Just rambling some ideas here...

Edited by Guest

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I can browse to the camera with the local address/portnumber without a problem

But when trying to access with the dyndns address/portnumber nothing!

I have a Sky router, does anyone have a screen shot or setup guide to show me where I might be going wrong?

what port internal do they use?

So you have the external port 8001 forwarded to the internal IP of a camera, on which port? 80? maybe thats where you went wrong, is specifying an incorrect port internally?

Are you using a DVR or server, or do these cameras have built-in web servers?

They have internal web servers.

You can specify the port on the camera, and also on the Firewall in the router - so not sure where I should specify what - sorry, I've tried the Foscam helpline but it's quite hard going

Thanks

They have internal web servers.

You can specify the port on the camera, and also on the Firewall in the router - so not sure where I should specify what - sorry, I've tried the Foscam helpline but it's quite hard going

Thanks

are you on sky or sky BT. with your isp. sky is netgear and sky BT is a 2 wire router. one does ip address and the other only looks for mac address. but if you have replaced the router yourself then you will have to find the name. and we can send you screen shots

I'm on Sky, the router is a D-Link DSL2640s

Thanks again!

On the main page, under the "ADSL Port" section, make a note of your DVR "IP Address". You'll need this later for testing.

Click "Services" on the left.

Click the "Add Custom Service" button.

In the Name field, enter a suitable name such as CCTV.

In both the "Start Port" and "Finish Port" fields, enter the port we want to expose: (the port you need for your remote viewing from your dvr) set both start and finish to the same port number.

Click the "Apply" button.

Click "Firewall Rules" on the left.

Under "Inbound Services" click the "Add" button.

Change the Service to CCTV(TCP:your port)". (It will probably be selected by default already.)

Leave the action as "ALLOW always".

In "Send to LAN Server" enter the IP address of the terminal server: 192.168.0.2,(your dvr) using the tab key (not the full stop) to move between each part of the IP address.

Leave all the other fields as they are.

Click the "Apply" button.

On the next screen, click the "Apply" button (the one next to the "Cancel" button). and you should be done.

Thanks for the info, I've done as you said, but it still won't let me browse to my camera via the port number from the web

Not sure what a DVR is either? Is that a recorder? I only have two foscams with built in web servers

Do I need to set a port in the Foscam? At the minute that's set to 80

The other slightly worrying thing is that my router is going bonkers and the speed of my Internet is now at a crawl, could that be the cameras?

Thanks for the info, I've done as you said, but it still won't let me browse to my camera via the port number from the web

Not sure what a DVR is either? Is that a recorder? I only have two foscams with built in web servers

The other slightly worrying thing is that my router is going bonkers and the speed of my Internet is now at a crawl, could that be the cameras?

were did you buy your foscam from. if you are just using the wireless then they are auto setup with the software. if you have bought your camera from ebay or amazon. we need to know

I got it from Note-Parts2009 on eBay, who says it is a genuine Foscam, and the software looks the same as seen on Foscams website, I've also been in touch with Foscam and they've checked my firware version - and didn't mention it was a hooky camera.

I've set up static IP's on the camera

And my DDNS provider is DYNDNS - the link to which works fine and I'm able to see both cameras through IE, but I can't browse to them using the port number.

I got it from Note-Parts2009 on eBay, who says it is a genuine Foscam, and the software looks the same as seen on Foscams website, I've also been in touch with Foscam and they've checked my firware version - and didn't mention it was a hooky camera.

I've set up static IP's on the camera

And my DDNS provider is DYNDNS - the link to which works fine and I'm able to see both cameras through IE, but I can't browse to them using the port number.

try your setting with your local ip and port. keep things simple first before you use your ddns. on Foscam website USA. they have a statment. "we do not or any distributors of foscam sell our product though ebay or amazon. you will be buying a copy and we ask that you dont purchase from either of these sites and we do not support these cameras "

now foscam software is self detect on install. if yours has not done this then you may have a copy. do a reset on your cameras. install foscam disk and it will search auto for your cameras.

This is what I would do.

I would set them to DHCP, then search for the cameras new IP through the software.

Use xxx@dyndns.org and not the other options like dvrdns etc, that have caused me issues occasionally.

If it still does not work go through your account settings on DynDNS.

Also dont use internal PCs to test if it works, ask a friend that is on another network.

Good luck!

I asked you earlier what port your router is forwarding port 8001 to on that camera, and you never replied.

If your router is forwarding port 8001 to port 80 on the camera, then youre fine. Otherwise, change either the router to forward external port 8001 to the camera 80, or just change the camera to listen on port 8001.

Good luck.

Thanks again for helping.

I've now setup the router and the camera to use the same port number, this works locally over my network, but still doesn't work over the web using the dyndns address : port number

Any ideas?

I've now setup the router and the camera to use the same port number

What port? Most residential ISP's block port 80 incoming, so hopefully you set them both up to use 8001, unless you have a business account or some other reason to have port 80 opened up

Seems like it's a router/port issue, since you can access it from inside the network.

Can you recheck what URL you are using because the format of the URL in your original post looks wrong but that may depend on what level of dyndns service you signed up for.

A proper URL might look like http://myhomecamera.homeip.net:8001

Where 'myhomecamera' is the dyndns name you reserved

I use that with no problem to access a camera.

Also, I'm sure you know this but you cannot use that URL from inside your house to access it so you have to be outside the firewall.

Thanks for that, I have used the correct address with port number, but it doesn't work from work - I'm wondering if that port is blocked by my company?

Are you trying the full dyndns address from your home PC as well? Some routers prevent loopback connections, meaning you can't make a connection going out and then connecting back in through that router. You might have to try it from a remote location.

Thanks for that, I have used the correct address with port number, but it doesn't work from work - I'm wondering if that port is blocked by my company?

Check whether IP address of the IP Camera shares the same subnet as your PC .

Check whether IP address of the IP Camera shares the same subnet as your PC .

Yes it's the same subnet, I'm thinking it must be blocked somehow...

Don't know of anywhere else I could test it from - maybe an internet cafe or wifi in a coffee shop?

I have seen where all ports must be forwarded to have access from outside the local network. If there are web, media and/or audio ports, then they must be forwarded also.

Hi,

Have you ever think to send your camera images and store at third party data center, such as [mod edit - no advertising]

You can configure your camera to capture the images at a regular interval or capture the images while there is motion detected and send it to the data center.

As such you only need to access to [mod edit - no advertising] remotely at anywhere, anytime to view your recorded images. It is hence no setting of ddns required. Save all your time and effort.

May be you can save enough money for buying the pc for recording and maintenance of the PC in order to get another camera

Worth to think about.