gman

Remove paint from camera glass

Hey everyone,

The house was recently painted and they somehow got paint onto the glass. The paint in just in small dots like it caught some spray. What is the proper way to clean it off, if there is one? I may ask the contractor to do it, but since they didn't think ahead enough to cover the camera, I'm not so sure they could do it correctly.

Thanks

I use a little razor blade just like this to clean stuff like that off of glass:

Other%20T&T%20-%20Razor%20Blade%202.jpg

Just hold it at an angle fairly flat to the glass, and apply pressure while scraping. As long as you keep it flat, no scratching will occur.

BTW I do this all the time on my fish tank, (bit of algae above water line that Plecostomus can't get). No scratches!

If that fails, some mineral spirits ought to help it along.

If its polycarbonate, I wouldnt suggest scraping it, even finger prints can scratch them. Could try White Vinegar though, leave it on for a couple hours or at least as long as you can. If its glass, go all out.

You might find that the paint will flick off with your fingernail. If it was sprayed, it may not have adhered well to the glass. Simple glass or lens cleaner and lens paper may loosen it up so it wipes off. When painting, that's all I do to clean my eyeglasses, carefully wash them in lens cleaning solution.

Depends on the type of paint, too... latex should come off fairly easily with something like isopropyl alcohol.

Oil-based paint will be more work. If it's glass, you can use acetone (aka nail polish remover). DO NOT use acetone on any sort of plastic, though, unless you like your cameras looking like they're looking through a frosted bathroom window or something.