twinturbo

Need some help please

Hello everyone,

I'll give my story as to why I need a CCTV system.

Recently somebody set my home on fire while we (my family and I) were sleeping, we saved ourselves and our home there is some damage but it could have been much worse, I was just preparing to paint the ceil in the morning so I had removed the smoke alarms, anyhow now we are only sleeping 3hrs a night on average. First thing police asked me was if we hand any cameras. So if this sort of thing happens again at least I'll have video footage.

I am unsure about the system, but from what everyone I talked to they told me that the dvr is more important than the cameras because the cameras are relatively the same.

So here is the DVR I was thinking of its a Tigon 1648 with DVDRW and 500 GB HDD, now its advertised as PC performance, standalone reliability, its got 16 channels. I think i read in the forum rules that we can't post links so I won't be doing that, but you can use google to find what Im talking about. This unit is quite pricey so if anyone can recommend another unit I would appreicate it. Im looking for something that has at least 12 channels, multiple monitors capability, remote viewing.

As for cameras I need a dome above the front door. Bullets for rest of the areas of the house with at least a 50ft distance and 20 feet wide areas.

Im going to use the siamese wiring and a 18 channel power supply box, for the power supply box do I need to dedicate an entire 15 amp breaker for say 12 cameras?

What kind of connectors do I need to use?

If there is anything else you guys can recommend please do so whether its cameras or dvrs or something else I missed.

Thanks,

TT

I've always used BMC compression connectors; but then you will need the tool for it. Google the compression tool and you will find some deals. You can also find youtube videos on how to connect them. As far as a dedicated circuit it can't hurt. I've done a few jobs for friends and family, all of them on an existing circuit. The cams do not draw a lot but if something else trips on that line there goes the cameras.

I will defer to others in the forum for the DVR choice as I am not sure.

Recently somebody set my home on fire while we (my family and I) were sleeping, we saved ourselves and our home there is some damage but it could have been much worse, I was just preparing to paint the ceil in the morning so I had removed the smoke alarms, anyhow now we are only sleeping 3hrs a night on average. First thing police asked me was if we hand any cameras. So if this sort of thing happens again at least I'll have video footage.

Only problem with this thinking is, what happens if the DVR is destroyed in the fire? A CCTV system has lots of uses, but it's not really the most effective thing for fire PREVENTION.

I am unsure about the system, but from what everyone I talked to they told me that the dvr is more important than the cameras because the cameras are relatively the same.

I don't know who you've been talking to, but this is completely backward: there is a WIDE range in quality of cameras - in design, build, features, and especially in image quality. Although there are some very good broad-use, general-purpose cameras, there is no one-size-fits-all type, and certain situations may require specific models.

So here is the DVR I was thinking of its a Tigon 1648 with DVDRW and 500 GB HDD, now its advertised as PC performance, standalone reliability, its got 16 channels. I think i read in the forum rules that we can't post links so I won't be doing that, but you can use google to find what Im talking about. This unit is quite pricey so if anyone can recommend another unit I would appreicate it. Im looking for something that has at least 12 channels, multiple monitors capability, remote viewing.

Probably a bit of overkill, but looks like a decent unit.

Interesting, trying to find a manufacturer for the machine, I found "Tigon Security", who are a Surrey, BC-based company, but they don't list any specific products (then again, "Tigon" seems to be a pretty generically-used term). Someone else here may be able to look at the pictures of it and identify an actual manufacturer.

As for cameras I need a dome above the front door. Bullets for rest of the areas of the house with at least a 50ft distance and 20 feet wide areas.

How much are you expecting to spend for cameras?

Im going to use the siamese wiring and a 18 channel power supply box, for the power supply box do I need to dedicate an entire 15 amp breaker for say 12 cameras?

No. A typical camera will draw at most 500mA at 12V... which translates into 50mA at 120V. All told, cameras and losses, your power supply shouldn't pull more than an amp or so from your house circuit. I wouldn't worry about something else tripping the circuit (I don't think I've ever had that happen!) but if you really want to be sure, just plug the power can into a battery-backup UPS (your DVR should be on one anyway).

BNC... crimp on, compression, or twist-on, whatever works for you, or whatever is readily available.

Hello everyone,

I'll give my story as to why I need a CCTV system.

If there is anything else you guys can recommend please do so whether its cameras or dvrs or something else I missed.

Thanks,

TT

I know this is a CCTV site and the reason that the police ask for CCTV is that they are looking for assistance with their enquiries. I would suggest that CCTV is only useful retrospectivley in this case and I would be looking to spend money on protecting the family if this happens again.

CCTV should be last on the spend list, but if you still want to go down this route, the system should be designed to record faces/number plates, wide angle pictures cover a lot of area but provide little in terms of evidence.

Without a survey I would suggest that you need to add lighting (IR or white light or both) as night time operation can be with lower cost cameras.

Mtt's advice should be heeded as he talks a lot of sense. If you cannot google the manufacturer of the kit you are going to buy it is probably worth steering clear.

Get advice from the Police crime reduction advsior, your insurance company and in your case the fire brigade as you should get some help from them.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

I know this is a CCTV site and the reason that the police ask for CCTV is that they are looking for assistance with their enquiries. I would suggest that CCTV is only useful retrospectivley in this case and I would be looking to spend money on protecting the family if this happens again.

Without a survey I would suggest that you need to add lighting (IR or white light or both) as night time operation can be with lower cost cameras.

Here's where I'll inject a common piece of advice I give: consider standard (non-IR) cameras coupled with motion-activate flood lights in the key areas. If someone is lurking around in the dark, the last thing they want is to be discovered. If a bright light snaps on, chances are good that it's going to scare them away. At the very least, the natural reaction is to look for the source of the light (to see if there's someone there), which then nicely illuminates the prowler's face... and with white light, which will give nice, clear, COLOR images. If you mount the cameras and lights near each other, it also means they're looking at the camera, and you have a greater chance of getting a good straight-on face shot.

But like ilk says, this is only good for evidence afterward - if someone does actually start a fire, it does nothing to actually protect you or your family.

hi,

i am not sure the products you are using.

but one thing is wrong.

a good system is make up of good monitor+good dvr+good camera+good cable+good power

for example, you plug a Sharp 1/4" CCD camera to the best dvr, you willn't get good viewing

same, if you plug 1/3" sony CCD camera to the best dvr, you still can't see better

also the motor and cable thing

You're right that a system is the sum of all its components (weakest-link theory) but there's a lot more to what makes a "good" camera than the size and brand of sensor.