Squiffy

ID camera and wireless system?

Recently installed locally to me by the local council (located Canvey Island, UK). There are no markings anywhere to be seen.

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/charfleetscctv.jpg/

I assume the flat plate antenna is operating on around 3.4 or 5.8GHz, presumably a digital and encrypted system.

And yes, it should be rotated clockwise, I've already done that, but imageshack seems to ignore the flag for some reason.

Camera and mount look like a Pelco Spectra system. I think you're right about the plate being an antenna for the wireless, but I couldn't tell you what make or model it is.

Thanks. It's annoying that there's no identifying lettering on it anywhere. Elsewhere locally there are fixed ANPR cameras with the same plate antennae. I'm assuming this is all linked to a police CCTV monitoring room, so would be via a secure system.

Thanks. It's annoying that there's no identifying lettering on it anywhere. Elsewhere locally there are fixed ANPR cameras with the same plate antennae. I'm assuming this is all linked to a police CCTV monitoring room, so would be via a secure system.

Hi squiffy. it a microwave system. used all over the uk. if you stand and look at the way the plate is pointing you will either see another or a collecting point.

press_release_distribution_0009631_269-1.jpg

Yeah, if that's microwave, it's VERY secure - unlike WiFi, it's a very tight beam, you'd have to insert a receiver directly in it... and the receivers are not readily available from your average Best Buy. And the data stream itself would probably be encrypted as well.

Yes, I'm familiar with microwave feeds, as a radio amateur I transmit/receive video on 1.3 and 2.4GHz (analogue only at the moment) and have experience with digital (and indeed digital encryption systems) as used on satellite.

Flat plate beamwidths aren't actually that narrow compared to a dish, but obviously receiving it (and analysing it) would probably be a waste of time. I would add though that sometimes encryption isn't always enabled in feeds which you'd think would be secure...

Recently installed locally to me by the local council (located Canvey Island, UK). There are no markings anywhere to be seen.

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/charfleetscctv.jpg/

I assume the flat plate antenna is operating on around 3.4 or 5.8GHz, presumably a digital and encrypted system.

And yes, it should be rotated clockwise, I've already done that, but imageshack seems to ignore the flag for some reason.

The radio is likely to be operating in the ISM bands, 2.4GHhz, 5.4GHz or 5.8GHz, but not in the 3.4GHz band as this is not available in the UK as the Government sold the licience rights off!

Ilkie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe OFCOM have only made parts of that spectrum available to other parties, it's still in use by the military, law enforcement and amateur radio operators. Not sure about point-to-point links as used by broadcasters, although I recollect a general migration to higher frequencies being made a few years back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe OFCOM have only made parts of that spectrum available to other parties, it's still in use by the military, law enforcement and amateur radio operators. Not sure about point-to-point links as used by broadcasters, although I recollect a general migration to higher frequencies being made a few years back.

You are correct Squiffy.

The frequency band approx 3.48 - 3.6GHz was sold to a provider (now UK Broadband) by the UK Government for 15 years. It is now called the 3.5GHz band.

In most of Europe this band is licience free and it this frequency band where all the kit is available worldwide.

The MOD has some rights but only during a national emergency, the rest should have moved by now.

Ilkie