jackhandsome

Trying to enhance a still picture from a license plate

...And he has in his response some examples to work that is plausible.

There's so much BS floating around these days it's hard for me to believe claims such as this, especially from someone selling a product which claims such results.

You know what. I knew when I posted this. I would take a hit. I can plainly see the tag in the video. I just can't make it out. My programs just won't do it. Someone can. Thanks anyhow.

Good luck. As others have mentioned, there's no detail left there to enhance. Not enough pixels on the plate (too far away and the camera's field of view is too wide), the IR obscured most of the letter detail from reflection off the white parts of the plate, the IR glare on the building caused the cam to adjust the exposure for it and not the shadowed distance detail, and your DVR threw out most of what little detail WAS actually there when it compressed the original analog signal. Look at the huge blocks that show in the darkness. That shows a LOT of lossy compression and a shallow colour depth (not enough bits per pixel when compressing and saving) Even buellwinkle's supersecret CSI program can't fix that.

A wide FOV like your camera has is normally useful for showing what happened (not who did it), but that one's image is so bad at night that you can't really tell anything besides that you had a visit from three people in a car. Can you even tell if they stole anything from the video? Decent saved evidence in the daytime, useless at night. I bet that you can't read a plate from more than mayyybe 20 feet away from the saved video under great conditions in the daytime. Point that camera a bit more to the left so the wall isn't screwing up the exposure with the glare and add another specialized zoom camera pointed at a choke point for plates and you'll be much happier the next time someone robs you. You'll also want a camera at every entry point. Most important of all, TEST THE SYSTEM, particularly at night, and see if you can get a clear picture of faces and plates from the recorded evidence. With analog cams, unlike network cameras, live view is much better than the saved footage. If the saved evidence isn't satisfactory the system needs fixing.

As others have said, modern hidef network cameras are great. They tend to grab much more detail and make even an amateur's installation job much more effective with wide FOV cameras. Add some specialty cameras at choke points for closeup mug shots of everybody entering and leaving your doors and 90% of your ID work should be good. Control the lighting, the shot (angle and chokepoints), and the Field Of View (zoom).

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely work on them. I have put some lighting out there, now. I never thought about the building. I felt the video lost something in the save. When I watch it straight from the DVR It looks almost legible. I saved it to a jump drive, then tried to open it. I couldn't open a DAT file for some reason, but Fb would let me save it. Beats me.. I sort of knew the cameras weren't that good. The people robbed me one night. (I had NO cameras) So I threw them up the next day, thinking they'd be back in a week or so. Danged if they didn't come back that night. Of coarse they got everything they wanted, so I feel like they are gone till I have something else for them.

Have a nice camera setup waiting for them. You can make them famous.

The one day notice certainly explains the aiming. It was good of you to get something up that quickly, although definitely frustrating that it didn't work as well as you'd hoped. That certainly sucks.

It's better to not be stolen from at all but it's REALLY satisfying to catch someone on camera and have an image good enough to identify a complete stranger and get a conviction. Getting everything right is a bit like stalking and bagging an elusive trophy. Trust me.

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to read a number plate from a video. So I searched in the Internet and I came up with this website. I'm a senior engineering student and I was driving in the highway a month ago when a Hyundai car( maybe Santafe) hit my car(actually my mother's car) badly and then escaped. My insurance didn't accept the high recompense and I went to court and they gave me a CCTV video and told me to find the plate number myself. The video is somehow not clear. I have attached a screenshot and changed the format which is a little lower in quality than the video. I want to kindly ask of any help. If possible tell me how to take a better screenshot.

I'm eagerly looking forward for any reply.

Thanks

Car2.jpg.15bd2ae9c4e8a03e304ba24c730e441b.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to read a number plate from a video. So I searched in the Internet and I came up with this website. I'm a senior engineering student and I was driving in the highway a month ago when a Hyundai car( maybe Santafe) hit my car(actually my mother's car) badly and then escaped. My insurance didn't accept the high recompense and I went to court and they gave me a CCTV video and told me to find the plate number myself. The video is somehow not clear. I have attached a screenshot and changed the format which is a little lower in quality than the video. I want to kindly ask of any help. If possible tell me how to take a better screenshot.

I'm eagerly looking forward for any reply.

Thanks

Sorry buddy, but that is impossible...

Ooo. I don't want to give up. Even two or 3 numbers would be the whole clue. My friends told me of some software like Zerenestacker or PhotoAcute. But I don't know how to work with them.

Ooo. I don't want to give up. Even two or 3 numbers would be the whole clue. My friends told me of some software like Zerenestacker or PhotoAcute. But I don't know how to work with them.

Give up..unless the original photo is MUCH more detailed than this one..

Look the pixels are simply not there..there is NO way you can do this...

Hi everyone, hope someone can kindly help or advice. I'm having the same problem to read a license plate from my CCTV. Few days ago someone was stealing some of my pots of flower where I planted in front of my house and it was not the first time therefore I installed a cctv there but unfortunately in my area that's the best CCTV quality I can get. I logged a police report but they told me they can't do anything about it.

I really hope can get some help here.

here is some footage i got from my CCTV.

737523760_ScreenShot04-07-15at02_34AM.PNG.9acd9ac14c1c0a553ecd306734eadcac.PNG

573601470_ScreenShot04-07-15at02_35AM.PNG.cdfeb4270f32ec9ae823fb3b94650439.PNG

43869457_ScreenShot04-07-15at02_36AM.PNG.27036f0957a27fa3329ba78d4c6ae4e7.PNG

51cent, thanks for the help and effort. I really appreciate it. Although the plate cant be seen clear, but not even a few number or the face of the stealer? I really hope you can help abit more, but I understand. Thanks again 51cent.

I wonder if anyone other could lend a hand to help me too.

Mr OK_Duck you can't get something from nothing. I think I see a 7 as the first numeral of a second row. The CSI videos are not true; you cannot make such a small image any better. There are somethings besides tag numbers that i use often to catch culprits. Just last week a property manager and I couldn't quite make out a tag but the But the red Buicks bumper had a sticker on the back. I told her to drive the lot's around dusk and sure enough the tag started with the 7 we saw and had the same sticker. They are now paying for repair of the gate they broke.

That motorcycle has unique lines. Sit out and watch it go by some day. I know that’s a long shot but I wanted to make a point that getting a tag isn’t always a dead end.

We also caught some kids on a golf cart breaking a gate because the teenage girls pony tail was huge and very distinctive. The next morning at the bus stop there they were, dads now buying that property a new gate now too. Good Luck, Be safe and install 1080P or higher resolution cameras, it's 2015 for gosh sakes plus quality image IP cameras 1080P and higher MPs are now cheaper than a good name brand analog camera.

Mr OK_Duck you can't get something from nothing. I think I see a 7 as the first numeral of a second row. The CSI videos are not true; you cannot make such a small image any better.

Sure u can

I can easily get plate from pix below

1748725901_ACCExport-2015-03-2808_37_09AM.thumb.jpg.8f3a74b2abb7adca9e78bd4637ad0c07.jpg

Hi Lesst,

I got what you mean by getting a better camera, beside of that I tried many other ways to catch the stealer yet failed. I am from a far country and live in a small village, there is only 1 store selling cctv with only 1 model, I had no much choices but to get it and trust me it cost me quite a money in my currency. That is why I so frustrated eventhough with a cctv I still cant be able to catch him, just lucky I guess now I know it was a he from what my cctv caught for me But still thank you for your hints, I will keep looking for it and hope someone else might have a hints that i missed from the video.

To ak357,

Please if you count help me just for my video to get the number, even just few will do or the face of that guy.

I do search on the internet there is few software that can be help but unfortunately I didn't know how to use it but as I saw the example they given that is why it give me hope that someone kind would help me.

To ak357,

Please if you count help me just for my video to get the number, even just few will do or the face of that guy.

I do search on the internet there is few software that can be help but unfortunately I didn't know how to use it but as I saw the example they given that is why it give me hope that someone kind would help me.

I would love to help you

but as other sad

your clip do not have enough info

My example based using Avigilon camera and Avigilon software

the pix I posted was capture using 5 MP cam

I see, anyway thanks ak357. i will take note on that camera and software you mentioned.

u welcome

by the way here is plate extracted from pix

1732877410_Platesmall.jpg.6fe7d7f318ce1827f94c0d728132afa8.jpg