Specifying a UPS

I agree with Metz.

There are many advatanges to individual UPS.. this way you can get a read out from each power source to find problems, plus if one circuit goes not all are lost.

The communication is imperitive to shut down the DVr because windws DVR's store unclosed avi files in momory therfore powerouts lead to bad sectors on the HDD, I have never sold one without, the problem is that going for cheap individual UPS devices means you may be covered for little more than a crash, you need to choose between "line interactive" UPS devices, one will switch in when power goes off but can allow big spikes though the other will filter everything first.

The thing is there are 6 main power problems and you need to choose a UPS according to what cover you want to give.. for instance some cheaper units offer Buck and Boost which will lift up the power if undervoltage and trim down if overvoltage, this small feature can not only prevent a fire it makes your powersupply for your DVR which never stops, run at the same voltage all the time, its kinda like tuning your engine, this will lead to excellent results.

Therefore you get what you pay for in UPS devices so if you want o go cheap the individual is great but unless you pay more you wont be covered for everything unless you have a filtered circuit.. but if you can afford it a rack mounted device with many ouputs to every DVR and batteries will usually cover every power problem so it si a matter of choosing between dirty power and safety or simply covering a crash.

Here is yet another advantage for chosing the right UPS - Most of them come with $10,000 damage warranty.... We have not seen one causing any problems to any of our equipment, but it is good to know that if something happens and that you can prove that the UPS caused the damage, then you are entitled to collect...

Just make sure you do not overload the UPS and always calculate the overall VA rating (or sometimes called wattage) and then you can calculate how long will it hold the DVR before shut down. Some of them have a feature that ties the UPS to a DVR via RS232 cable that allows you to program and to monitor the UPS activities (monitor overload, set alarm levels, set alarm condition etc.), but the most important feature that I like that when power goes down, it sends a signal to the DVR to perform normal shut down, rather than turn off instantly when it runs out of battery power...

Good luck.

Levon

So do we... No DVR leaves our facility without UPS device and we cut no corners for this unit. Every DVR goes out with at least 500VA ups which is also capable to connect to such DVR vis RS232.

Levon

There simply aren't as many needs for serial ports. Plus you can always add them via add-on cards.

Here is yet another advantage for chosing the right UPS - Most of them come with $10,000 damage warranty.... We have not seen one causing any problems to any of our equipment, but it is good to know that if something happens and that you can prove that the UPS caused the damage, then you are entitled to collect...

I suspect you would have to sue the UPS manufacturer to collect on any significant damages. Lawyers often cost more than the cost of replacing hardware.

So, are you suggesting I have 33 UPS's in my CCTV control room?!? Wouldn't economies of scale come into play here i.e. get a larger one at less that 33 times a small one?

Just ask the UPS manufacturer how many PCs you can hook up to it at one time .. Buy 1 and test it out with the max amount of PCs that they suggest, turn power on and off, similate power cuts, etc. see total amount of back up time to find your best.

Well, I am not going directly to the UPS vendor. Rather, I will be getting my CTV contractor to supply me the UPS.

If you use 1500VA or higher capacity UPS, you can connect 4 of them at a time... Again, calculate your total power useage and pick up the unit that can give you at least 15 minutes of power in case of outage and then program it to normally shut down each and every system so that you do not experience any system, files or database corruptions....

Levon

You can still email the manufacturer for support. Who is it? If you cant, let me know and Ill contact them and ask ..

Rory, i think you will find he is a design engineer or consultant, he is simply writing a spec.

NO I dont mean that many single UPS devices in one room, I assume your DVR's are not all in one room and if they are at different sites, then 1x UPS to a device is good or some larger UPS's will speak to more than one machine at a time. although 1500va may be enough for several be carefull that the UPS can speak to all that it is connected to to shut it down, no point to have 1 UPS for four devices if it can only shut one down.

If all your DVR's are in different locations then use single UPS for each or if they are all in one room (mind you if they were wouldnt you go I.P) then get a rackmounted UPS head end that can speak to all the devices, some can do it over ethernet, and simply add battery packs in rack mounted format until you have the back up you need, so you can have 1 biggin or loads of small ones, biggin will be more expensive but my bets is it will cover all 6 power problems.

You can use one "single unit" even if the DVRS are spread out. Need more info, you can PM or email me-I have done many of these.

APC make excellent products, but Tripp Lite is in line with the quality and performance. Here is the URL for Tripp Lite product that we mostly use:

http://tripplite.com/products/ups/vs.cfm

This series gives you from 500VA to 1,500VA and dependent on how many DVRs you use per location or side by side, this series will help...

Levon

I agree 1 unit to do all and communication through ethernet only problem is that if one circuit goes and happens to be the one the UPS is on, then all machines shut down even if they are on different circuit

I have no experience with Tripp Lite. I have only used APC and they were delivered by Truck and forklift. Takes a couple of days to assemble. They even show up onsight to make sure all is well.

My Trip Lite Line Conditioner I bought back in '96 has lasted since then and still going strong, never lost anything while on the line conditioner (voltage regulator), they tend to cost a little more than APC though from looking online lately?

Rory

I have no experience with Tripp Lite. I have only used APC and they were delivered by Truck and forklift. Takes a couple of days to assemble. They even show up onsight to make sure all is well.

man thats sooo coool, will they come to the Bahamas, or Singapore ?

Pretty cool stuff. One APC with battery slide-ins all controled via software and dedicated electric outlets all over site.

Hmm, why not a Deisel Generator?

What did it cost and how large was it, voltage wise ..?

I have a client that might be interested .. for real ..

also does it have voltage regulation built in, or can order one with that ..?

It would be to power a whole house for example, though they have a generator but looking for some power protection as well, so voltage regulation is a requirement.

thanks

Rory

I just installed the APC. The electricians did the rest. Me, I can install Panels, sub-panels and switches/outlets. I stay away from the big juice. I have pics somewhere in my portfolio, I will dig them up some day.

true, i stay away from any kind of juice over low voltage .. though seeing what the electricians make around here, and how much work they get, electrician, and plumbing is what I would do if I had to do it again .. i mean if i planned to stay in the bahamas that is ... They just get the most work over any kind of trade .. or anything ... also AC does very well, but thats pretty much seasonal ..i have a freind that is in AC, still makes a killing. Use to do it in the US for a few years where he went to college etc, but came back here because for some reason can make more here in that area ... just hot as heck, not exactly the most pleasant job ..