andrewh1973

Interference problems with Swann camera

Hi all

I recently installed a Swann CCTV camera to cover my front door, specifically this one:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/43903/Swann-DCC-Dome-Colour-Camera---400TVL---Super

It works well but after a few hours (mostly towards dusk it seems) the picture is distorted by severe interference in the form of thin completely horiztonal lines, if you've ever seen "RoboCop" it looks not unlike the view from Murphy's point of view! But if you interrupt the power when the camera restarts the interference goes away for a while. So this can't be a cabling fault and must surely be a camera fault or have I missed something obvious here?

Thanks, Andrew/

Hi all

I recently installed a Swann CCTV camera to cover my front door, specifically this one:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/43903/Swann-DCC-Dome-Colour-Camera---400TVL---Super

It works well but after a few hours (mostly towards dusk it seems) the picture is distorted by severe interference in the form of thin completely horiztonal lines, if you've ever seen "RoboCop" it looks not unlike the view from Murphy's point of view! But if you interrupt the power when the camera restarts the interference goes away for a while. So this can't be a cabling fault and must surely be a camera fault or have I missed something obvious here?

Thanks, Andrew/

with alot of swann cameras. you will find it is over powered what size power supply do you have.

£24 !! Can't expect too much really.

The image will certainly deteriorate as the light level drops with this spec camera.

No it's not light level, it's doing it during the daytime now also... it just seems to be when it's been on a while it starts having this creeping interference problem. The power supply is rated at 12V 0.3A

Example picture from camera showing interference...

resteasysoftware_2_20110419_141539.jpg.c33364547b41f34c1effc00fd16987ef.jpg

No it's not light level, it's doing it during the daytime now also... it just seems to be when it's been on a while it starts having this creeping interference problem. The power supply is rated at 12V 0.3A

Example picture from camera showing interference...

like we said over power problem 12v 0.3a ... camera is rated at 9v

Ok, how do you know it's rated at 9v (so that I can go back to Swann and ask them for a power supply that won't cause this issue!)? Odd thing is by the time I got home from work yesterday, about 730pm, the interference had stopped so it comes and goes all by itself, why is that do you think?

Ok, how do you know it's rated at 9v (so that I can go back to Swann and ask them for a power supply that won't cause this issue!)? Odd thing is by the time I got home from work yesterday, about 730pm, the interference had stopped so it comes and goes all by itself, why is that do you think?

Hi andrewh. thats another sign of over heat (overpower) at night it gets cooler with light winds cooling your camera. this is the spec you posted.

Description

Color Dome Camera

Swann DomeCam brings a professional touch to your security system in your home or commercial premises. It features a color video camera that can be adjusted and fixed in any direction.

The high quality plastic dome protects the camera from damage by dust and other environmental hazards. The broad lens provides sharp overall focus for a crystal clear picture.

Mix Swann DomeCam with identical Swann 'Imitation' cameras and give thieves and intruders the impression your premises is guarded by higher level of surveillance!

Contents

- Color DomeCam

- 18m cable

- 9VDC 300 mA Power Adaptor

- Instruction Manual

Right right, I'm with you, though to be honest I've always taken specs on websites with a pinch of the heart attack inducing stuff so I was just wondering if you had additional knowledge of it somehow. Ok i think I might have a 9v psu somewhere I'll give that a go see what happens... Do you think it worth me contacting Swann tho?

Thank you!

Right, ok. I've bought a 9v 500ma supply, hoping this will cure the problem. Plugged it in and the camera doesn't even power up!

I'm bemused about what to do next, do you think there's any point in contacting Swann?!