trophyman

Video for front gate of property.

Greetings All,

I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and there is a wealth of information to be sure. I'm in the process of planning a revamping of the entrance to my property. I live on 15 acres and presently have an electric gate controled by a Bulldog electric controls.

After the new masonry entrance-way is constructed I would like to install a video survallence system and audio so that I can speak with people that come to the gate and allow them access if I choose. I would appreciate suggestions from the professionals here as to camera/system.

The run from the house to the gate area is aprox. 700 ft. so what type of wiring is best. I've looked at PoE and it looks like it would work great. Could I run my audio off of the same cat6 cable? Any and all suggeations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

You could use an integrated camera and intercom system such as Siedle or Aiphone, two way audio with build in camera. They have the wiring specs on their sites depending on which model you choose

Thanks for your reply. The camera doesn't necessarily need to be two way communications I think. Could I use one of the pairs from the PoE to run a com system? Also, Can I power the camera with PoE over that distance?

Thanks So Much.

Ethernet is limited to 330'/100m over UTP... so you can't use ethernet to your gate (at least not without some sort of extenders)... therefore, you can't use Power over Ethernet either.

SDM is correct, your best bet is to look at a video intercom system specifically designed for this purpose. Most common manufacturers have models that will work over a single wire pair - power, video, audio, control, etc., although at 700', you may need to power the station locally (I would assume there's AC line voltage at the gate, to operate the gate controls).

The Mobotix T24 IP door station, with the Mx2wire extender system to allow running the signal and power up to 500 meters, would be a nice option, but certainly not the cheapest.

The Aiphone products have worked well for me in the past, as well, but you'd get a lot more features with the Mobotix (up to you if you need all those features, though).

I probably wasn’t very clear with my initial post. My most pressing concern is the need for captured video security that is activated whenever someone pulls into the gate lane with an option of an audible chime to alert the house. 2 way AUDIO is something that I would like to have to converse with visitors looking to gain access to the property.

We travel quite a bit and while I do lock my gate to keep someone from driving onto the property, someone can still climb across my 3 board horse fence and walk up to the house and shop. Initially, I want to put up a hardwired day/night camera, run it to an 8 ch system so that I can expand it with additional cameras later.

Here is a picture of the front entrance and where I would like to install camera and audio. http://www.doowopridge.com/gate/gate.htm

I’m prepared to spend whatever is necessary to have the video security at the front gate and I’m confident I can find a low cost solution for 2 way audio. Couldn’t I use powered Baluns to cover the distance for the video? Again, thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion.

No, we understood what you want... I think you misunderstand what we're suggesting.

The Mobotix option hardwired mentioned does everything you listed, and more: not only will it record video and sound internally, it will let you access it and communicate with the person there from any internet-connected computer, you can remotely trigger the gate to open, and authorized visitors can use a PIN code or RFID tag to open the gate.

Matt,

Thanks so much for your reply. If the Mobotix system that I’ve been looking at is the one that you are talking about I’m not sure it will do everything I need. Say someone pulls into my driveway, but does not pull up to the keypad, instead gets out and jumps my fence, will it capture/record the event to the extent that I can either id the person, see the tag or make/model vehicle? The camera would have to see an area of about 40’ away. Again, ADUIO in not my primary concern.

The above scenario is what the thieves have been know to do in my area.

Can you explain why a day/night bullet camera run to a DVR would not be more in line with what I need? I don’t get many people driving up to my gate and asking to come in. I’m more concerned with times that we are away and someone casing the property etc.

Thanks

Ah, I see, you're looking for something with motion-activated recording... it does that as well:

http://www.mobotix.com/other/Products/T24-IP-Video-Door-Station/Recording-With-Sound

Automatic Event Recording

As the leading manufacturer of high-resolution IP security cameras, MOBOTIX has integrated all of the necessary features also into the T24 door camera. The recording function must be switched on and off manually for standard cameras, whereas MOBOTIX cameras work with intelligent sensor technology and store data efficiently. An automatic recording is started only when, for example,

... someone rings the doorbell

This way, the property owner knows who was at the door in his or her absence. Of course, the exact time of the visit will be recorded as well.

... someone was at the door

Who put the package in front of the door and when? A look at the list of recorded events is all that is needed. The motion detector in the camera starts the recording automatically.

... when the outdoor light goes on

The recording is triggered by external switch contacts or light sensors or by illumination sensors and IR motion detectors. The coupling to the light enables the camera to deliver high-quality images – even in the dark. (example: the headlights of a car pulling up)

Also:

Playing Back Recorded Events

You can use an IP video phone or a computer to call up the events from the camera memory. It is not necessary to install any additional software on the video phone itself. The camera displays a basic operating menu created specifically for telephone keypads directly in the camera image. When using a PC as a remote station, MOBOTIX offers the free-of-charge MxEasy software for convenient setup and operation of the complete T24 system.

So you don't have to wait until you get home to see what happened.

Not finding a specific section on it, but a summary also says that it supports FTP and email notification - I'm guessing it would be able to email pictures to you to alert you if someone is there, potentially allowing you to log in remotely and watch what's happening in real time.