Sign in to follow this  
br1ck

i want to see my dvr over a dynamic ip

i have a dynamic ip and i want to setup my dvr so i can log into it over a not changing ip/hostname what software or service can i use to brodcast my ip i have a stand alone dvr and also have a pc on the same network that can run any software to get this done

Assuming the DVR is behind some type of ADSL or CABLE firewall/router. Then visit www.dyndns.com and establish a free or minimal account. DYNDNS is a service that will allow you to select from any number of domains they own and with a software client on a PC, or more appropriately a DYNDNS setting in your ADSL or CABLE firewall - router, you can enter your DNSDNS account name and password and DYNDNS will determine from the regular software registrations are and assign that IP as a subdomain to one of theirs that you chose.

If it's a one time thing then simply use a name myhouse332.homedns.org

Now whenever the update software on the PC or the router logs into the dyndns then that public IP will be assigned to the subdomain you selected.

Now you need to understand how to correctly create the necessary port forwards allowing you to access the video streams.

We abandoned raw port forwards years ago due to BOTS and hacking, but if you normally would only be viewing from work, you can use www.iptools.com from work to learn the office IP Addresses, and you should be able to restrict the port forward to only work from the office IP ranges.... That would be far more secure...

For more restrictive access, we use firewall / routers that support SSL VPN connections and some with 2 factor authentication, (DONGLE) and once you connect to the SSL link, the router will publish the streams to your account if you are given access to that internal device.

Cheers -

i've just done this myself but would like to add the following

if your router supports DDNS (dynamic dns) you can check the option on it and type in your hostname, username and password details that you created with dyndns

also, you can register a pro account for just $15 and choose from more host names, my favourite is homeip.net, and dyndns will automatically renew your host name every year and you can have 32 per account, a local security installer currently pays £50 to an I.T firm to provide this per site and so im going to be doing it for them at a lower rate once ive met them to discuss terms