Toaster

Detect motion 24/7, only get emails during closed????

Does anyone familiar with the TVT (q-see qt428/qt528) DVR's know if its possible to record motion events 24/7, but only get the motion email alerts during CLOSED hours? (not while we're open)

The only way I've been able to achieve this is to only enable motion detection during closed hours and just record 24/7... which makes searching for an event really BORING. It would be so much better to search motion events all the time - but only get emailed alerts while we're closed.

I've got a qt428 and a qt528 (one home and one at work)... thanks.

helloo

theres some DVRs allow you to make new schedual for recording, so you can make new one with motion detection.

but am not sure if its allowed in ur DVR model. i hope its work.

good luck

WAT?

Ummm... wow, I had an idea, but now my brain hurts.

Oh yeah... kinda a hack, but how about setting up a filter on your mail client that just discards alert emails outside the desired times?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have planned on doing... setting up an email filter... but that seems like a really dumb way to do this. I'm a little shocked this is NOT a feature already. And in the menu structure of the DVR it IS setup to schedule motion detection 24/7, but only ALARM you on motion detected during closed hours... but when I search for motion events, NOTHING shows up during open hours... I called tech support, and they simply dismissed me as saying it was not supported.

There is a motion detection schedule under SCHEDULE and motion and motion detection under ALARM - and I have it set the way I think should work - but obviously it doesn't............ OH WELL.

I know you need this for a particular DVR, but ... this is one of the reasons I like Exacq. They have one of the most robust SMTP implementations for email notification, and scheduling is included with the standard package (some companies require enterprise licensing for scheduling). All of the event linking (i.e. when this happens, then do this) can be scheduled.

Best,

Christopher

Do they have an SDK? If so send it to me and I might be able to work something out.

For example, alot of them will detect motion events from the DVR, so if all you need is email on motion within a specific time span, thats not too difficult to do and it could run in the background.

no not on the DVR itself, software on PC, connect to DVR using network SDK or activeX, wait, detect motion, send email with snapshot, wait.

no not on the DVR itself, software on PC, connect to DVR using network SDK or activeX, wait, detect motion, send email with snapshot, wait.

This assumes, of course, there is an available PC. And, if the PC is not dedicated, it will surely be rebooted, etc, and the process will likely be shut down.

Best,

Christopher

This assumes, of course, there is an available PC. And, if the PC is not dedicated, it will surely be rebooted, etc, and the process will likely be shut down.

Best,

Christopher

Even if on the rare occasion that a PC reboots itself the processes will be restarted when windows starts back up.

But anyway as I dont have direct access to the firmware this is the best solution I can come up with. Either they want it, or they dont. If they do want it then they will assign a PC that will be on at that time of the day, or run it in a Virtual PC in Mac or Linux if they dont have a Windows PC.

And you forgot the more obvious drawback, this assumes they have a network connection, in fact this assumes the heavens dont come down from the sky, that the world still exists, that the entire universe is still intact.

Do you have another solution? Besides taking out a mortgage on an exacq system?

And you forgot the more obvious drawback, this assumes they have a network connection,

Since we're trying to send email here, I'd say we can assume the existence of a network connection as a prerequisite

Do you have another solution? Besides taking out a mortgage on an exacq system?

I think you may be on the right track, but rather than futz with an SDK (that probably isn't available) and try and connect to a local PC that may not be available at this site, another option is to send all email notifications off site and filter them on a server elsewhere. That said, I'm working with a similar kludge right now that was put together just as a proof of concept. It's a bit flaky, and I can't wait to replace the kludge with the real system.

Best,

Christopher

I think you may be on the right track, but rather than futz with an SDK (that probably isn't available) and try and connect to a local PC that may not be available at this site, another option is to send all email notifications off site and filter them on a server elsewhere.

This could be run on a PC anywhere over the internet also as it would connect just like remote software does then just send emails based on motion events, can use an SDK or the ActiveX (if it has public methods/events). But the DVR in question may have no SDK or open activeX anyway ...

But the DVR in question may have no SDK or open activeX anyway ...

I may be missing part of the equation, but why do you need an SDK to schedule email notification? Why not send email notifications from the DVR to a remote server 24/7, and then filter the email at the server, based on time, to implement the scheduling?

Best,

Christopher

I think with the SDK, he was looking to implement something that worked via the DVR's remote client.

What about the idea discussed elsewhere of triggering email notifications via the site's alarm system and the DVR's alarm inputs?

But the DVR in question may have no SDK or open activeX anyway ...

I may be missing part of the equation, but why do you need an SDK to schedule email notification? Why not send email notifications from the DVR to a remote server 24/7, and then filter the email at the server, based on time, to implement the scheduling?

Best,

Christopher

This way emails wont be sent 24/7

Doesnt have to be an SDK can even use the DVR's activeX in many cases, but it depends on the DVR and what they offer in that way.

LOL... Ok, let's see.........

YES, there is internet available.

YES/NO, there is a PC there, but NO it does NOT stay on 24/7 - for security reasons.

EMAIL FILTER, I looked and did not see a way to filter emails on or through gmail based on time.

As for 24/7 emailing, that seems wasteful and I'm assuming slow down not only the DVR if I wanted to connect remotely for viewing, but would eat bandwidth for no reason. Just ALWAYS emailing pictures of motion alerts... We had a storm last night and I had a couple of hundred emails this morning because of heavy rain from the outside cameras.

Just my rant: Having used a video surveillance system now, I would think this request or feature is common place, and I'm shocked its not part of the stock, out of the box - firmwares or options from MOST manufactures... cheap or otherwise... It just makes sense that people would want to be able to search motion based events - any time of the day 24/7, but only get notified of those motion events during certain hours......? I guess they have to make the more expensive ones worth it some how...

Just my rant: Having used a video surveillance system now, I would think this request or feature is common place, and I'm shocked its not part of the stock, out of the box - firmwares or options from MOST manufactures... cheap or otherwise...

I hear ya, but email that actually works and scheduling are two features that are commonly missing, even in some not-so-cheap products. For example, scheduling is not available in Avigilon standard; scheduling requires the enterprise version.

Not to harp on this, but the reasons I like Exacq include:

1. smtp notification that actually works

2. robust scheduling

3. web browser does not require ActiveX

4. smart phone viewing

5. unlimited number of clients

6. server and clients run on windows, linux, and macOS.

In addition, Exacq has announced an entry level license for smaller installations. No word yet on features, but will likely include most features of the standard version. I think pricing will be something like $50 per camera.

Best,

Christopher

I hear ya, but email that actually works and scheduling are two features that are commonly missing, even in some not-so-cheap products. For example, scheduling is not available in Avigilon standard; scheduling requires the enterprise version.

Not to harp on this, but the reasons I like Exacq include:

1. smtp notification that actually works

2. robust scheduling

3. web browser does not require ActiveX

4. smart phone viewing

5. unlimited number of clients

6. server and clients run on windows, linux, and macOS.

In addition, Exacq has announced an entry level license for smaller installations. No word yet on features, but will likely include most features of the standard version. I think pricing will be something like $50 per camera.

Best,

Christopher

Yeah but do they sell embedded DVRs?

Ok I see this here which could work.

https://www.exacq.com/products/exacqvisionELS.html

Have you used that one yet? Any idea on suggested retail?

thanks.

Ok I see this here which could work.

https://www.exacq.com/products/exacqvisionELS.html

Have you used that one yet? Any idea on suggested retail?

I know you are usually budget limited, but Exacq also sells licenses, so you could build your own embedded box pretty easy. If you want a hybrid, I suggest getting an embedded box with a couple of video encoders. If you want IP only, it's super easy. I built an Exacq server based on an HP linux box. It installed in minutes. I added temporary CCTV cameras using Axis video encoders. Eventually, I'll be pulling the plug on the CCTV cameras and remove the video encoders.

BTW, you can install a single Exacq license at no charge to try it out. And, it's not time limited.

Best,

Christopher

I know you are usually budget limited, but Exacq also sells licenses, so you could build your own embedded box pretty easy. If you want a hybrid, I suggest getting an embedded box with a couple of video encoders. If you want IP only, it's super easy. I built an Exacq server based on an HP linux box. It installed in minutes. I added temporary CCTV cameras using Axis video encoders. Eventually, I'll be pulling the plug on the CCTV cameras and remove the video encoders.

BTW, you can install a single Exacq license at no charge to try it out. And, it's not time limited.

Best,

Christopher

non IP other than remote video, local video out to HDMI or at least VGA

embedded plug and play type ... something with those extra features that work .. still want it simple to hook up though .. finished with the time consuming PC builds now. Has to be easy to use for people that dont know what a "desktop" or C drive is, also an IR remote for live and playback .. the ones we use now the clients dont even want the mouse .. just the remote .. but it can be tedious to playback with that.

finished with the time consuming PC builds now.

Yes, well, using Exacq would not be a PC build per se. Instead, you would need to install the software (very easy) and add some video encoders such as Axis or Acti. However, unless you can get 4 port video encoders cheap, I'm guessing the system would be too expensive. If 4 port video encoders were $200, it would be a viable option, but at $500, it's just hard to justify. I've done this myself with a Q7404 because I really wanted Exacq. As IP camera prices continue to come down and everyone moves to IP cameras, then installing Exacq on an embedded atom linux or something will be very cost effective, and very robust in terms of features.

Best,

Christopher

We had a storm last night and I had a couple of hundred emails this morning because of heavy rain from the outside cameras.

You probably already know this, but having scheduled email wouldn't have helped at all in this situation...

Just my rant: Having used a video surveillance system now, I would think this request or feature is common place, and I'm shocked its not part of the stock, out of the box - firmwares or options from MOST manufactures... cheap or otherwise... It just makes sense that people would want to be able to search motion based events - any time of the day 24/7, but only get notified of those motion events during certain hours......? I guess they have to make the more expensive ones worth it some how...

FWIW, I've installed and/or serviced literally hundreds of DVRs for almost as many clients, and not once have I come across the need to have it send email on a schedule. I'm pretty sure Vigil will do it, but I've never actually looked, because I've never needed to.

In the grand scheme, I honestly think your requirement is pretty rare.

When you think about it, if a rainstorm is causing all those emails to be generated overnight, then you have bigger issues with this plan than limiting what hours emails are sent - you need better motion detection to start with, or better yet, video analytics.

I think your best solution, though, goes back to this post: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25344

It addresses the issue with outside movement triggering alerts, as well as the possibility of operating hours not always matching the schedule you set up.

FWIW, I've installed and/or serviced literally hundreds of DVRs for almost as many clients, and not once have I come across the need to have it send email on a schedule.

I think that's why I have six arrests in the last 18 months. You know, when burglars are put in handcuffs and placed in the back of a patrol car and driven to the police station for processing.

Most people only get video of "the two dudes" taking stuff from their car. I'd prefer to catch them, but that's just me.

Best,

Christopher

Fine, let me rephrase: I've never had a client require it. I've had a couple ask for it, get tired of it after a couple weeks of getting uninteresting still shots, and have me turn it off.

Don't see the point in forcing something on them they don't want...